Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default William Zillman - 2011 Discussion Thread

William Zillman - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

When surfing the net I found an interesting article about Zilly and after watching the way he played at halfback when thrown into that position on the weekend I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Zillman roams free in Premier League shake-up
    PFitzgerald
    Thursday, 8 September 2005

For 19-year-old William Zillman, season 2005 has already provided a wealth of highs.
    At the beginning of the year the teenager was just one of many Raiders juniors with big wraps but yet to prove themselves.

Already this season, Zillman has represented Queensland at under-19 level, cemented himself in Canberra's Premier League side and been on the verge of making his first-grade debut.

And on Saturday, he has the opportunity to help the Raiders Premier League side progress further in the semi-finals series when it takes on the Newtown Jets at Seiffert Oval.

"It's been a good year, yeah for sure, but I'd love to cap it all off with a grand final win," Zillman said yesterday. Zillman has been named at fullback by coach and former Raiders great David Furner, despite having played the majority of his short career at halfback.

The No7 jersey this weekend, however, has been taken by Todd Carney and Zillman was more than happy to play as the last line of defence.

He has, though, been given a "licence to roam" from Furner in a bid to get the enormous talent more involved in the game.

"Dave said I can get my hands a bit more on the ball, which I didn't really do on the weekend but this week I'm hoping to do that," Zillman said. "I wouldn't say I'd rather be playing in the halves because it really doesn't bother me. I haven't played a lot of fullback, that's the only thing, but I'm just so happy to be in the team it doesn't really bother me." Zillman began the year playing in the Raiders Jersey Flegg side before staking his claim for a regular Premier League position. He was extremely close to running on with first grade.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

There we go Zilly was a halfback and was switched to fullback in 2005 to allow for this years blues 5/8 and Australia's 5/8 when Locky retires to play in the halfs.

In the same year Zilly played for QLD u19 at 5/8 and the following year played fullback in the junior Kangaroos (Carney and Mullen where the halfs).
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 06-04-11 at 10:16 PM.

5 seasons further down the track, surely he's has the smarts to play in the halves? I have always loved his courage and we need some frontline nouse. Great find Tamwelg.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Zillman
    good straight ball runner...suits attacking around the ruck area.
    Not suited to a 'sweeping around the back' play
    Not a natural ball player, before the line

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Zillman
    good straight ball runner...suits attacking around the ruck area.
    Not suited to a 'sweeping around the back' play
    Not a natural ball player, before the line
    He hasn't played this position for a number of years since converting over. Wont take him long, and when he starts firing he will put a lot of players into some good positions with the ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 6 for the rest of the year, although what do we do with Presto then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 6 for the rest of the year, although what do we do with Presto then?
    Presto would be my Number 1. He is safe under high ball and can inject himself anywhere along the backline, He would not be a bench player for me, I would start him and keep him on full time again as he is a proven game winner.

Zillman should be the Titans 5/8 for the near foreseable future.

Zillman 5/8 didn't work out and now they are playing him in the centres, what is the clubs plan for Zillman? Some of the comments made by the club and Rankin at fullback suggests they don't intend playing him in the 1 next year and with Idris and Champion coming in, what does everyone think the club has planned for Zilly?

Junior Titan

We have to play Zilly in his best position which is fullback.
    The only other option would be to buy a fullback and play Zilly at 3 and Idris at 11.

I like what I've seen with Zilly in #3 so far. He's far more talented than Idris & Champion and he's put in the hard yards with the club over the years - so I think he deserves 1st choice in the centers. If that means Champion goes to Q-Cup as depth backup then so be it. Our pack doesn't need Idris, I think he's tied up the other center spot.

If Zillman stays in the centers, we also get the advantage we had when Rogers was there. Go back 18mths or so, we were on top of the ladder and had the best defense in the comp. I believe having 4 decent forwards on the bench had alot to do with that, and having play making depth in the centers allows that. If any of the backs get injured during a game, Zillman can cover them and a second rower can cover the center position. Then our forwards can get a good rotation and stay fresh, so there won't be any tired big fella's leaving holes in the defense.

I'd still like to see him trialed in #7 with Prince #6 though. Zillman getting more early ball can't be a bad thing, then Prince gets more time to direct play and more choice when to inject himself. That also allows us to keep Rankin in #1, which I think is valuable.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Put zilly at Fullback and keep him there , that is his position, I think he is to small for a center these days. Champion in the centers he is a good player just hasnt had much of a go because of who he is up against getting a spot at the storm. Rankin shouldnt be there he has done nothing.

I think Zillman is the perfect center, he is strong and breaks the line, runs excellent angles, and has decent defense.

He can also pass, and kick if needed.

IMO he is a center
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

This so tough,

because as a fullback he was solid and reliable, but uncreative. we move him to centres or 5/8 and he starts scoring great tries and looking dangerous.

He is almost gonna be a victim of his versatility and get shoved around alot. But Cartwright loves him and has said he is a future Titans captain, so maybe hell get a permanent spot somewhere.

I have been impressed by rankins defense, he has matured alot, and his running game will come as he adapts his timing to the faster NRL games. but after only 6 or so games, does he deserve to replace one of our most committed players. probably not.

Maybe Zillman at fullback, with rankin serving a full year apprenticship on bench in 2012 covering a few backlines spots,even short stints at hooker from time to time to help him learn the game from more angles.

between Zill at fullback and rankin on bench, we are well covered for any injury that might come up mid game except for srama.

Will be interesting to see which way the coach goes