Default Scott Prince - 2012 Discussion Thread

Scott Prince - 2012 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Retired great Darren Lockyer says Gold Coast Titans halfback Scott Prince has a shot at the Qld Origin halfback spot

RETIRED league legend Darren Lockyer believes Titans captain Scott Prince is not done yet and can't be counted out of the race for the vacant Maroons half spot.

Lockyer, who unveiled the NRL All Stars jersey at Skilled Park yesterday, ahead of the February 4 clash against the Indigenous All Stars, endorsed Johnathan Thurston's switch to five-eighth, saying the Cowboys star could become even better at No.6.

Thurston has made the switch in a bid to claim the Queensland and Australian jersey vacated by immortal-in-waiting Lockyer.

And while Melbourne's Cooper Cronk is the front-runner to partner Thurston in the halves, Lockyer said Prince could not be counted out.

"I don't think Princey's days are done," Lockyer said.

"Princey's admitted that last year wasn't his greatest but you can tell he's been working hard.

"We can pick an Origin team now but by the time May comes around a lot of things change very quickly. Form comes and goes.

"I think Cooper's probably earnt the opportunity to get the first crack at No.7 but in saying that, you don't know how well Princey's going to be playing come Origin."

Prince, who modelled an Indigenous All Stars jersey featuring a tribute to Arthur Beetson at yesterday's launch, admitted speculation he could miss a place in the All Stars team and was beyond another Origin campaign had hurt.

"It has, I'm not going to lie to you," Prince said.

"But first and foremost, (my aim is) getting my form back on track.

"There's not much that I can say that will get me selected, it's what I do on the football field and that's where I've got to leave it -- get back to playing the way that I can play and let my football do the talking."

Prince admitted Thurston and Cronk deserved first bite at the representative cherry, saying his form during the Titans' wooden spoon campaign last year had been poor.

But the addition of Andrew Johns as a consultant to the Titans had helped him focus on getting back to basics and his best form.

"I was disappointed with my performances in 2011, especially comparing it to the year before," Prince said.

"Now I'm looking forward to putting that behind me and working hard through the pre-season.

"Working with (Johns), the main focus has been on just basic skill.

"In our day and age everyone loves the fancy plays but he's made me realise it's not about that, it's just about the basic skill and doing that 100 per cent correct every time.

"For me, that's just hit home.

"I'm basically re-establishing myself and the way I'll be taking the preparation into every game."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I'm backing Scott to turn it around this year and steer us into the finals. Sometimes less is more which is why I've been pushing for him to play 5/8, but if his mind is focussed on the job and he is executing well he's proved he can get us deep into the finals and push for our maiden premiership.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

In my opinion he was unfairly targeted for the performance of the Titans last year...it seemed to me through the media in many ways he was the only player playing poorly for us last year and although his role is crucial...no less than other parts of our team.
    I watched him at training earlier this week and he is looking super fit and focussed and any possible injuries aside he appears to be heading towards a great season albeit with the help of all the players in this year's roster.

I disagree hammer, i would much rather say david mead or ryan james had a bad game then prince. Yes your right in saying that the blame should not have been put so heavily on prince's behalf, but as Captain of a young team who had shed experience that had been around the boys for so many years, he did not step up his play and did not lead by example when it came to focus and attitude.

Yes he isnt all to blame for us losing but we can not disregard the fact that if prince was playing to his full potential which i hope he does in 2012 i would garentee that our season would not have been so devastating as the one that lay before us in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gladiator View Post

Yes he isnt all to blame for us losing but we can not disregard the fact that if prince was playing to his full potential which i hope he does in 2012 i would garentee that our season would not have been so devastating as the one that lay before us in 2011.
    Respect your point of view!

But even if he is playing to his potential if he doesn't have a forward pack that lays a solid platform, and/or he doesn't have a reliable five-eighth outside him that doesn't keep changing every two weeks, and/or he doesn't have players that are playing out of position in key positions, and/or players that are recovering from injury, and/or have players that didn't have a pre-season due to having operations and are clearly underdone, and/or players that have a lot of potential but are new to first-grade, and/or tactics that maybe questionable, and/or we had a shocking injury list...it doesn't matter if he is the greatest halfback in the history of the game (some would argue that is Andrew Johns...I disagree) or Jonathon Thurston...all halfbacks would struggle!

The point I want to make was it seemed in some parts of the media that the only reason we played so poorly in 2011 was Scotty Prince...and I disagree with this line of analysis. Yes he contributed but no more than anyone else or other factors that equally affect the team's performance.

And to add that list an error rate beyond belief and errors that occurred at crucial times, which more times than most came from our experienced forwards Harrison, Bird, Minichellio and Bailey and/or referees with ridiculous decisions (don't get me started on that one)...point being it almost became Scotty's fault for everything associated with the Titans...I do not agree with this type of analysis.

Banned

I think the whole team just got to cocky thinking they were going to win easily and we were missing players in key positions. I think in 2012 Matt Shama needs to step up because he is filling the big shoes of Friend. we need to have a consistent 5/8 and not change it every 5 mins maybe then Prince will have a chance to do the thing he does best and get past the defence

I have to say this past debate has been the most mature ive seen from people with different opinions on a forum in a long time.... Bravo

All of those points except the maturity comment. Since when was maturity a requisite of this forum? [makes loud farting noise]
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

In 2010 when Prince did his trademark 'show the ball' towards the defensive line and fooled 3 defenders to put the winger thru for a try i would shed a tear and wonder why Prince is so amazing.

We didnt see tht in him in 2011. He would slide towards the wing too much. We did see glimpses of his magic but then it would be gone in a week.

The magic was extinct... but it wasnt his fault. Injury after injury and changing of position and a different 5/8 every 2 weeks. Wat do u think he is? His a human being for god sakes give him a break.

He still lead the Titans with the most try assists so he was still getting his job done.

It wasnt just him who would a rough season. Minichiello would spill the beans at crucial times, Bird would lose the ball as well, Campbell would be an easy target in defense and inexperienced players would come flooding into the team due to injury.

Prince is a legend and we always be a legend.

To all those haters out there if u think Prince is dead and dusted, get ready to eat your words cos 2012 is going to be one hell of a year for Prince.
    Last edited by Princey's Titanz; 13-01-12 at 07:54 PM.

The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

How many MOM is that?
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

If you attack in defense, you gain confidence with the ball...I think this is the case with Prince.
    Holding back on his defense limited his confidence with the ball and making small hesitations at the line.

Ryan,
    Not everyone sees potential in players, they only see results but fans do change their opinions pretty quick.

Prince is vital to our team like any great player, however, even he would admit that he is fast approaching his use-by date and takes a different approach to his preparation and the way he goes around the field. We have lots of 50% players ... those you never know which version is going to turn up each week. Prince is currently at about 80% turning up most times.

He will be hard to replace but replaced he must be eventually ... we should be preparing for that. Until then "long live the Prince"!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.