Default Ben Ridge - 2011 Discussion Thread

Ben Ridge - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Harrison or Ridge? Can't have two lightweight backrows, so I feel Ridge will have to take the backseat, although I very strongly think he is going to be a great player.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Ridge has been impressive...it's a 17 man team and I think there is room for Harrison, Bird and Ridge all playing in the back row.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Harrison or Ridge? Can't have two lightweight backrows, so I feel Ridge will have to take the backseat, although I very strongly think he is going to be a great player.
    Ridge is no lightweight. He hits like a freight train and has an extremely high work rate. This kid is one that will shape the Titans pack for years to come. We have got to keep giving him time as rest assured other clubs will snap up this fine talent.

This might want to go in the Ben Ridge 2012 thread. But buggered if I could find it..

Country boy Ridge to tackle Eels

Joshua Spasaro | 16th August 2012 6:00 PM

EELS second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh receives plenty of praise for his courage. And while his opponent on Sunday doesn't have the same high profile, Ben Ridge sure is one tough nut.

Ridge gets a needle in his shoulder before every game to manage an AC joint complaint, and he also has niggling pectoral and medial ligament injuries.

But when you're brought up on a property near the proud football town of Roma, playing tough on a footy paddock runs in your blood.

Ridge, 22, attended Bymount East State School - between Roma and outpost Injune.

The school had just 19 students and one teacher when he was there, with the tiny community enabling Ridge to learn valuable leadership skills.

That is why you won't see him shirking his duties, despite the fact he is walking wounded, because the Titans need to win their remaining three games to make the finals.

"It's do or die for us so you've just got to get out there and be amongst it. There aren't many games left in the season so you may as well be out there giving it your all," he said.

It was also Ridge's country roots that saved Titans legend Preston Campbell from a brown snake attack at training in 2010, with the back-rower stepping in to throw the reptile into a nearby creek.

"That (the jibes) stuck for a while and they only recently stopped," he laughed.

In Years 11 and 12, Ridge was good enough to attend rugby league nursery St Brendan's College, Yeppoon, playing alongside Rabbitohs superstar Dave Taylor.

Taylor will join the Titans next year, something Ridge is excited about.

"He was so damaging with his size. He was so quick and he had great ball skills," Ridge said.

"There would've been something wrong if he didn't make it to where he is now."

Despite being adept at handling snakes, Ridge knows it is a legendary Eel in Hindmarsh who will indeed be a handful at Skilled Park this Sunday.

"He's a relentless kind of footy player. I've always looked up to him even though he's from New South Wales," he said.

Ridge believes the Eels' no-fear attacking approach has been a big factor in them winning three of their past four games.

He surely won't be panicking though - he will follow his pre-game ritual of listening to country music stars including Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney.

"I love the country and I'll probably end up heading back out there after footy," he said.

"At the moment I'm contemplating doing my helicopter licence so that'll open a few windows.

"I'll end up on the farm with the old man."

Source: www.news-mail.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The only thing wrong with this statement is that the other one should be taking the backseat ... hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.