Default Brad Meyers - 2011 Discussion Thread

Brad Meyers - 2011 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Wrist surgery ends Gold Coast Titans veteran Brad Meyers's rugby league career after 177 NRL games

The former Brisbane Broncos, Bradford (England), Queensland and Kangaroos forward, who is affectionately known as "Big Red", confirmed on Sunday he had retired from football following wrist surgery which will sideline him for 20 weeks.

The 30-year-old backed coach John Cartwright's assessment that Gold Coast Titans have the depth to overcome its current injury crisis, with Nathan Friend (shoulder), Luke Bailey (neck), Anthony Laffranchi (ankle) and Kevin Gordon (knee) sidelined.

Cartwright said Bailey's late withdrawal from Sunday's match against the Warriors was a huge blow, but the players could not use that as an excuse.

"If you want to do well, you have to have depth and I've got faith and I trust our depth," he said. "But it wasn't there today."

Meyers said he had not made his decision official but it was common knowledge among the playing group.

How will you remember the rugby league career of big Brad Meyers? Leave a tribute at the bottom of the page.

"It's not the way I wanted to go out," he said. "I injured the wrist against Canberra (in round four) and if I'd known that was my last game it would be a bit different. But that's football. I'm looking forward to life after football, but it's hard sitting there watching the boys go through what they had to today.

"It's 20 weeks recovering from the surgery. The doc has fused the bones together so it's strong and I won't have problems. I had the ligament repaired at the end of 2010. But it blew up leading into the Canberra game and then I made a tackle and it felt like I had broken my hand."

Meyers said the Titans had the talent to make the NRL finals.

"I've got heaps of faith in the young blokes," he said. "We're struggling a bit, but there's just a few little things we need to tweak."

Meyers said he had enjoyed his career, in particular the chance to make so many friends.

As for a highlight?

"It's been everything," he said. "I'm just glad football was a big part of my life."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/n...-1226052330556
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

Default Gold Coast Titans' Meyers calls it quits

By Wayne Heming AAP Mon, May 09, 2011 - 4:52 PM

Playing for Queensland and Australia at just 21 was the worst thing that could have happened to Brad Meyers, according to former team mate and Brisbane great Shane Webcke.

Gold Coast's Meyers, 31, announced his immediate retirement on Monday after being told a wrist injury would keep him off the field for the rest of 2011.

"It's not the way I would have liked my career to finish but sometimes that's what happens, you can't control injuries," said Meyers, who has played 177 NRL matches for Brisbane and the Titans and a further 51 for Bradford Bulls in the English Super League.

The red-haired forward may not have set the rugby league world on fire.

But he leaves the game having played for Queensland and Australia, having won a premiership with Bradford in 2005 and having ground out 228 games at the toughest level.

"For a bloke who struggled early and had his toughness (unfairly) questioned, he's put together a career, hasn't he," Webcke told AAP.

Webcke, who played over 254 games for Brisbane 21 Tests and 20 Origins, said being thrust into representative football so young didn't do Meyers any favours.

Meyers played all three Origins for Queensland in 2001 and four Tests for Australia but never played representative football after that.

"It was the worst thing that could have happened to him," said Webcke.

"He could never live up to those expectations. He was always trying to resurrect himself after that."

Webcke said while it was a wonderful honour playing rep football it could be a poison for players not ready to deal with the expectation.

"It came too early, before he'd learned how to be a consistent footballer at rep level," said Webcke.

"When you think of toughness, you think of players like Gorden Tallis.

"But players like Brad, who struggled early, have had to do it another way and that's probably harder."

Webcke's first impression of Meyers was of a "big giggling kid".

"He loved to laugh and crack jokes and was good to have around," he said.

"But it was hard to get him cranky to play footy."

Webcke did his best to bring out his aggression because it wasn't in his personality.

"I wasn't nasty because I cared about him," he said.

"But I bashed the crap out of him because I knew he had it in him.

"Most of the time he just laughed at me.

"But every so often he'd get cranky and angry and that's when he'd play really well."

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett chose Dane Carlaw over Meyers for a first grade call up in 1999.

Meyers played a couple of games in 2000 when Brisbane won the premiership and got his chance in 2001 when a number of Brisbane players retired or left the club.

"To play as many games as Brad did and achieve as much as he did is a tribute to him," said Bennett.

"He was a very tradesman-like as a player."

Meyers will apply that tradesman-like attitude to his new profession in the building industry.