Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast Suns

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    Great win from the Suns just now, beating North Melbourne at Etihad by 43 points....
    Not just a rookie team anymore some could say...
    The media seem to be working it up to be a real turning point for the Suns and are now saying finals is a real possibility. Their next three games will really tell us if they are a chance to play finals. They have St Kilda, Bulldogs and Adelaide in their next three games, which are all winnable. If they win those three then I think you can say they will be playing finals in 2014 with a record of 8-2 after 10 rounds.

Hard not to marvel at Gary Ablett Jr and his talents. Easily the best player in the comp.

Banned

Not sure if anyone saw it in the GC Bulletin but they were reporting that new federal funding for the Commonwealth Games will allow Metricon Stadium to be upgraded to 40,000 seats permanently. Pretty big news if true.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw it in the GC Bulletin but they were reporting that new federal funding for the Commonwealth Games will allow Metricon Stadium to be upgraded to 40,000 seats permanently. Pretty big news if true.
    You'll need a wider angled lens for your camera!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    You'll need a wider angled lens for your camera!
    Haha very funny. I do wonder about the implications of a 40,000 seat stadium. I suppose you really need to fill at least half your stadium to make it worth it so the Suns would want to be average 20k+ crowds by 2018.

Haha very funny. I do wonder about the implications of a 40,000 seat stadium. I suppose you really need to fill at least half your stadium to make it worth it so the Suns would want to be average 20k+ crowds by 2018.
    I think it would be good if Metricon was made 40k permanently. Regardless of whether the Suns fill it (and they might for finals, particularly if they played a big Melbourne club) it gives the Coast other options such as Big Bash cricket. The drop in pitch needs to run north south and it would good to fill in that end that is currently open. If Metricon offers a larger capacity it might give better competition with CBus and make CBus offer better hiring arrangements.

Banned

I think it would be good if Metricon was made 40k permanently. Regardless of whether the Suns fill it (and they might for finals, particularly if they played a big Melbourne club) it gives the Coast other options such as Big Bash cricket. The drop in pitch needs to run north south and it would good to fill in that end that is currently open. If Metricon offers a larger capacity it might give better competition with CBus and make CBus offer better hiring arrangements.
    No doubt there are benefits to the city outside of the Suns playing in a larger stadium. As you pointed out, the Suns would probably fill it in a finals match against a big Melbourne club so there is already reason to do it. A finals match against Collingwood at Metricon would easily pull 35k+. As for the BBL, I would have thought 25,000 is already big enough? I guess having a 40,000 seat stadium only furthers the case of a Gold Coast Big Bash team. The drop in pitch does run north-south but there is the issue of the big screen being located in the batters vision when the ball is being bowled to the south. They need to either move the big screen or black it out every second over like they do at the Gabba.

I doubt the state government/Stadiums Queensland would be willing to rework the CBus deal again. As you pointed out, the Titans are hiring CBus where as the Suns have management rights over Metricon and will always have the better deal because they don't really have to put up with Stadiums Queensland's BS. I know this is very unlikely to happen but maybe the Titans would be wise to play a few of their bigger drawing games (Broncos, Rabbitohs etc.) at Carrara to maximise profits? I'm 100% confident the Suns would give them a better deal than Stadiums Queensland. Then again, maybe the Titans are locked in to play a certain amount of games at Robina so it may not be possible.

Just going back on topic here, the Suns have St Kilda this Sunday in Melbourne which is a game they should win. This should result in them entering the top 4 for the first time ever.

I'd definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket.

Don't know if it needs to be any bigger though.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I'd definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket.

Don't know if it needs to be any bigger though.
    Me too or the Foo Fighters again
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Although we disagree on a lot of things, it's good to see that everyone rates Metricon highly as a venue.

Suns have an important game today against St Kilda. If they win then they'll go equal second on the ladder and potentially top 4 depending on percentages.

Although we disagree on a lot of things, it's good to see that everyone rates Metricon highly as a venue.
    More highly accurate posting from CSF...

Tell us again how we always twist the things you say to suit our own arguments...

Banned

More highly accurate posting from CSF...

Tell us again how we always twist the things you say to suit our own arguments...
    If you would "definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket" then I assume you see the venue as a suitable place to watch sport? Am I wrong? Do you not rate Metricon as a venue?

If you would "definitely go to Metricon to watch cricket" then I assume you see the venue as a suitable place to watch sport? Am I wrong? Do you not rate Metricon as a venue?
    Since I don't have anything else to do right now, I am happy to engage you in some pointless banter.
    I understand you enjoy making giant leaps of logic, so your comments come as no surprise.

I go to my kids primary school oval to watch them play sport, and other parents do too, and I rate it as suitable for watching them play sport and I assume the other parents do too, but that doesn't mean "that everyone rates it highly" as a venue.

I've never been to Metricon, it might be good, I don't know, all I said is that I would go there to watch the cricket. You just like to bait and switch topics of conversation to suit your own agenda. We all know this. As I have said before, you like to play the victim and accuse others of twisting what you say to suit themselves, but it is usually the opposite.

Either way, I stand by my comments that I would go to Metricon to watch the cricket. I would probably go to watch Foo Fighters too. Either option would be more appealing to me than going there to watch afl.

I think Metricon is a good ground, nothing special however. It's no better (or worse) for watching AFL than Robina is for NRL. Metricon doesn't have a large capacity on the western side which I know is mainly for corporates and a fair chunk of the main stand cops the sun in day games. There are not many seats on lower levels with much elevation and if you sit in these you see a lot of legs if you watch an AFL game, although I appreciate some people like to be near ground level. The layouts of the bars and eateries is much better than Robina although if it is raining you get wet waiting to order food at most of the outlets.
    Overall a good ground but better than the SCG, Gabba? Nope.
    My point with cricket being played at the ground was that if the end where the screen is was filled with seats then these would be good viewing for cricket. I assume that the screen will need relocating as part of the Commonwealth Games work which would assist in making it better as a cricket venue.

Banned

Since I don't have anything else to do right now, I am happy to engage you in some pointless banter.
    I understand you enjoy making giant leaps of logic, so your comments come as no surprise.

I go to my kids primary school oval to watch them play sport, and other parents do too, and I rate it as suitable for watching them play sport and I assume the other parents do too, but that doesn't mean "that everyone rates it highly" as a venue.

I've never been to Metricon, it might be good, I don't know, all I said is that I would go there to watch the cricket. You just like to bait and switch topics of conversation to suit your own agenda. We all know this. As I have said before, you like to play the victim and accuse others of twisting what you say to suit themselves, but it is usually the opposite.

Either way, I stand by my comments that I would go to Metricon to watch the cricket. I would probably go to watch Foo Fighters too. Either option would be more appealing to me than going there to watch afl.
    I probably worded it incorrectly. When I said everyone I meant everyone in the thread and more specifically the two posters above me who mentioned they would go to Metricon for other events outside of AFL. I was trying to point out that you can like the stadium without liking the AFL/Suns which appeared to be the case based on comments I read. I now know you haven't been to Metricon and it would appear that the motivation behind your comment is purely based on your interest in cricket. I just assumed anyone on here that was willing to go had already been. Should I start checking that I get every minor detail correct before I post on here next time?

I think Metricon is a good ground, nothing special however. It's no better (or worse) for watching AFL than Robina is for NRL. Metricon doesn't have a large capacity on the western side which I know is mainly for corporates and a fair chunk of the main stand cops the sun in day games. There are not many seats on lower levels with much elevation and if you sit in these you see a lot of legs if you watch an AFL game, although I appreciate some people like to be near ground level. The layouts of the bars and eateries is much better than Robina although if it is raining you get wet waiting to order food at most of the outlets.
    Overall a good ground but better than the SCG, Gabba? Nope.
    My point with cricket being played at the ground was that if the end where the screen is was filled with seats then these would be good viewing for cricket. I assume that the screen will need relocating as part of the Commonwealth Games work which would assist in making it better as a cricket venue.
    It's a boutique ground. You can't really compare it to the SCG/Gabba given those two grounds are proper cricket grounds with decades of history. I believe the big screen at Metricon is going to be moved for the Comm Games so that'll help if a cricket team does eventuate.

On the topic of the Suns, they had a big win today against St Kilda which takes their season record to 6-2. They are a good chance to make it five consecutive victories with a match at Metricon against the Bulldogs this coming weekend. Currently sitting equal 2nd on the ladder and looking very good chances to play finals this year. Looks like they are finally living up to their potential.

Should I start checking that I get every minor detail correct before I post on here next time?
    Yes, you should.

I'm glad we finally agree on something. This will definitely make a big difference moving forward.