HE IS not the Steve Price you may have heard about.
Not the former Australian front-rower who played for Canterbury and the Warriors, nor the similarly named ex-Sydney radio shock jock.

This Steve Price has arguably the toughest gig of all.

He is the St George Illawarra assistant coach who yesterday was elevated to temporary head coach for Monday morning's World Club Challenge against Wigan at DW Stadium.Dragons fans need not fret because Price was also in charge a fortnight ago when Saints hammered Souths to win the Charity Shield.

On that occasion Wayne Bennett was absent with the All Stars side and he will take the reigns again because Bennett has flown back to Brisbane to be with his ill mother-in-law.Which means that the little-known Price is going for his second piece of silverware inside a month.

"It is Steve's goal to coach in the NRL. I know how happy he was contributing towards the Charity Shield win.

"Steve, though, feels for Wayne and the circumstances that have taken him away from this game.

"But Steve will have the Dragons well prepared and ready for a big performance against Wigan."

Price, 33, played for St George and Balmain before coaching the Dragons' Premier League side and Samoa. He was Bennett's assistant during last year's premiership success."I can't believe his name isn't thrown up for more vacant NRL posts," said Joel Caine, a former Dragons and Tigers teammate of Price.

"But it's a matter of time.

"I get impatient he hasn't got a team now.

"He says he is getting a Harvard education in rugby league under Bennett, so what's the hurry?"

Bennett has explained on the Dragons' website why he is returning home.

"It is important that I am with my family at this difficult time," he said. "I am happy with the team's preparation for the World Club Challenge and am confident they will put in a quality performance."

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said the club and players fully supported Bennett's decision.

"We all understand Wayne's circumstances and back his decision," Doust said.

"It is important that he is with his family."

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood said the Dragons would be ready to play in the WCC.

"Our thoughts are with Wayne and his family at this difficult time," Wood said.

"I am sure that Steve Price, the rest of the Dragons coaching team and the St George Illawarra players will respond with a performance that will do credit to Wayne and the NRL champions."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226011670700