Gold Coast hulk Ryan James to prove himself at All-Stars match
Peter Badel
February 10, 2011 12:00AM

RISING STAR: Ryan James at All Stars training. Picture: Kate Czerny Source: The Courier-Mail

HE IS being touted as a future NSW Origin star. On Saturday night, Gold Coast hulk Ryan James gets his chance to prove he's the real deal.

Everything about the 19-year-old Titans rookie screams representative talent. He weighs 111kg. He stands 192cm. He bench presses 130kg, squats 220kg and sprints 40m in about 5.3 seconds.

But the true barometer of his progress will arrive at Skilled Park on Saturday when Indigenous All-Stars coach Laurie Daley gives James his first taste of representative-style football against NRL All-Stars opponents including Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Cameron Smith.

It would be enough to have any teenager enduring sleepless nights. But James, a back-rower or prop who lists his hero as Test halfback legend Andrew Johns, is not your average NRL rookie.

"He's a real talent," says Daley of James, who made his entry to the NRL last season, playing four games.

"You don't have to say too much to him. He's a big kid, he's really looking forward to the game and I think he's got a huge future in our code.

"He won't be overawed or taking a backward step and they are the qualities you need as a young forward.

"Obviously he will be a bit nervous playing alongside the likes of Johnathan Thurston. But he's settled in well, he's been training well.

"I love his aggressive nature, he puts his hand up for plenty of work and for a big man he covers the field well.

"I'm not quite sure how I'll use him yet. The front-rowers early in the year, you roll them on and off pretty frequently. I'm not sure how many minutes I'll give him but it will be good to see him in action.

Named in the Toyota Cup team of the year last season, James has spent the past few days reveling under the tutelage of Indigenous assistant coach Gorden Tallis, one of the code's most feared back-rowers.

The fiery James tormented rivals with his hitting power in the under-20s, prompting the Titans to sign him to a new deal until the end of 2014. Two years ago, Roosters recruitment chief Peter O'Sullivan tried to poach James and says the Bilambil Jets junior, who has declared his Origin allegiance to the Blues, will go all the way in the game.

"He's not scared of anybody, he won't back down from anyone," O'Sullivan said. "He wasn't intimidating as a 14-year-old, but as he's matured he's got better and better. I wish he was playing with the Roosters but it wasn't to be.

"He's a great kid and the best part is he's got a great attitude. He's one of those kids that the better the level of footy, the better he goes."

After watching his debut last season, Titans colleague Luke Bailey said it would be only a matter of time before James played State of Origin and Test football.

"It's still early to be talking rep jumpers but he's definitely got the potential," Bailey said after James's round 14 debut against Manly.

"I think the club has found my replacement when I finish in a couple of years time."