Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Brisbane Bombers thread - 2nd BNE NRL

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have no further information on where they plan on representing. Whether it be south Brisbane or not. Only that it is possible that the person behind it is linked to a high profile Rugby League administrator.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Registrant Contact Name Nick Livermore

Bennett won't coach second Brisbane team

The prospect of a second NRL team in Brisbane took a hit on Friday, with champion Queensland coach Wayne Bennett saying he wouldn't support their proposal.

The seven-time premiership winner had been mooted as a potential coach of the franchise, which is aiming to enter the NRL as soon as the 2013 season.

But Bennett, who is off contract at the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of 2011, quickly ended any speculation that he could be interested in the fledgling concept.

In fact, the idea of having another Brisbane team to rival his beloved Broncos doesn't appeal to the 60-year-old supercoach at all.

"No, it wouldn't be my choice," Bennett told reporters on Friday.

When pressed on what location he would recommend the NRL pursue, Bennett kept his thoughts to himself.

"I've got lots of preferences (for where the next expansion team should be) but no one is going to take a lot of notice of that, so we won't talk about it today," Bennett said.

The Australian

Very happy if the bid upsets the Donkeys
    #itaintweaktospeak

Ipswich NRL bid and CQ NRL bid along with Wayne Bennett have spoken against this bid, Johnathan Thurston also when asked about talked up Perth.

I certainly won't speak out against it. I think it is silly to decry it especially with the magnitude of Queensland history of the sport and it's popularity, it's facilities and the corporate support in the state.

It's just a matter of when. And the Western Jets bid would be feeling very threatened as this cuts off alot of it's pluses ie a Brisbane influence.

I can see all these bids as having a place in the Rugby League World. First up I'd probably lean towards servicing the thousands of new people living in the region of South Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Springfield. I'm a total convert in the need for a team here eventually.

People can claim that they already follow the Titans or Broncos, but to what extent? There are alot of Titans gear in Logan and south Brisbane. More than the Broncos. But we traditionally show our colours more. These fans probably don't attend many or any games and watch on TV. I don't see a new team cutting into that too much. Queensland RL fans will watch all games involving QLD teams especially those on Free To Air.

Oh but, I am enjoying this.

I'm with Pete - The biggest positive in this bid for me is seeing the donkeys getting taken down a peg or two.

But I think they left their run for a decent bid too late. Alot can happen in 6 months, but there is alot more that can't happen in 6 months. And I cant see Gallop or the board jumping on what seems a rushed bid.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

The question is, are they different from the Broncos or just a copy?

The Rugby League world does not need another Broncos.

Alot of the stuff thrown up by this bid is gimmicky and unfounded...

Not a good start.

Default Gallop impressed with bid's enthusiasm

David Beniuk AAP Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:59:00

A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded. Copyright: Getty Images
    A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded.

Gallop on Monday met with members of a consortium proposing a second side in the Queensland capital if the league expands in 2013 to coincide with a new broadcast deal.

He said the bid was still in its early stages, but the energy of the group, led by former Thoroughbreds chairman Craig Davison, was undeniable.

The Thoroughbreds, a group of Brisbane businessmen, support Brisbane rivals the Broncos.

"It was useful to put a face to the media speculation," Gallop told AAP on Monday evening.

"Expansion is not on the agenda but we have said we expect to review that position in the later half of 2011.

"The strength of the game in Queensland is obvious to everyone but they, like any other potential bid, would need to demonstrate and that they have a sustainable business model and they bring a benefit to the entire competition.

"There's a bit of a way to go but we are happy to continue some dialogue with them.

"They're in the early days but you wouldn't knock their enthusiasm."

But Gallop's comments to reporters at an All Stars community event earlier on Monday would have been music to the consortium's ears.

"The strength of the game in Queensland, the population growth that's expected in South East Queensland, those are factors that would have to say that a second team out of Brisbane at some point would be on the cards," he said.

As well as the consortium from Brisbane, bids have been flagged by Ipswich, Central Queensland, Perth and NSW Central Coast plus, offshore, Wellington and Papua New Guinea.

The NRL has been insistent that any new team would need to grow the game's financial resources so current clubs were not adversely affected.

"It is exciting for the game that there are areas that want to be involved but we have to be careful to look at the impact on the existing 16 clubs and our existing players," Gallop said.

"We want to grow the pie for them and make sure that they're getting paid more money in the future.

"We would be looking at a sustainable business model but we'd also be looking at something that brought something to the table for everyone involved in the competition, something that's going to help the game grow."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post

David Beniuk AAP Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:59:00

A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded. Copyright: Getty Images
    A second rugby league team in Brisbane is "on the cards" at some point in the future, NRL boss David Gallop has conceded.

Gallop on Monday met with members of a consortium proposing a second side in the Queensland capital if the league expands in 2013 to coincide with a new broadcast deal.

He said the bid was still in its early stages, but the energy of the group, led by former Thoroughbreds chairman Craig Davison, was undeniable.

The Thoroughbreds, a group of Brisbane businessmen, support Brisbane rivals the Broncos.

"It was useful to put a face to the media speculation," Gallop told AAP on Monday evening.

"Expansion is not on the agenda but we have said we expect to review that position in the later half of 2011.

"The strength of the game in Queensland is obvious to everyone but they, like any other potential bid, would need to demonstrate and that they have a sustainable business model and they bring a benefit to the entire competition.

"There's a bit of a way to go but we are happy to continue some dialogue with them.

"They're in the early days but you wouldn't knock their enthusiasm."

But Gallop's comments to reporters at an All Stars community event earlier on Monday would have been music to the consortium's ears.

"The strength of the game in Queensland, the population growth that's expected in South East Queensland, those are factors that would have to say that a second team out of Brisbane at some point would be on the cards," he said.

As well as the consortium from Brisbane, bids have been flagged by Ipswich, Central Queensland, Perth and NSW Central Coast plus, offshore, Wellington and Papua New Guinea.

The NRL has been insistent that any new team would need to grow the game's financial resources so current clubs were not adversely affected.

"It is exciting for the game that there are areas that want to be involved but we have to be careful to look at the impact on the existing 16 clubs and our existing players," Gallop said.

"We want to grow the pie for them and make sure that they're getting paid more money in the future.

"We would be looking at a sustainable business model but we'd also be looking at something that brought something to the table for everyone involved in the competition, something that's going to help the game grow."
    Ahh you gotta love journalist, there is nothing new in this article that wasn't said 2-3wks ago.

New NRL Brisbane team gathers support

THE Battle for Brisbane begins tomorrow when the consortium bidding for the city's second NRL team holds a media conference at Suncorp Stadium.
    Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the real action kicks off over the road a few hours later.

That's when the movers and shakers behind the bid will be putting on a feed at Iceworks bar and restaurant.

Having whiled away many enjoyable hours at Iceworks, I know from personal experience that there are a lot worse ways to spend an afternoon. If bid chairman Craig Davison wants to win over the hearts and minds of the locals, it's a good place to start.

Let's face it, the NRL's new commissioners will decide if the second Brisbane team becomes a reality but the people of Brisbane will determine whether it succeeds.

When news of the bid broke a couple of weeks ago, the question I heard often was, "Who would support a team like that?"

My answer was, "I would". I reckon plenty of others would too.

Last weekend I was discussing the bid's chances with a man who had a lot to do with the now defunct South Queensland Crushers. According to him, it wasn't lack of spectator support that killed the Crushers. It was lack of ARL support.

The Crushers were a victim of bad timing. They attracted plenty of crowds and sponsorship in their first year, but the arrival of Super League sounded their death-knell.

When Super League was desperate to sign up a 10th team, it made an offer to the Crushers that was the largest it had made to any club. The Crushers board was split until chairman Dick "Tosser" Turner, a lifelong rugby league traditionalist, gave his vote to the ARL.

When the two competitions came together, the Crushers were a casualty. According to my man, if Tosser had voted for Super League and secured the backing of News Limited, the club would probably still be alive today.

Of course, that's all ancient history now but it does show that the support base for a second Brisbane club isn't pie in the sky. It was there in 1995, it will still be there today.

Back to that question: Who would support a second Brisbane team? Well, people who don't like the Broncos for starters. There are still those who blame the Broncos for killing off the old Brisbane Rugby League. And for hatching Super League. And for the assassination of JFK for all I know. They just don't like them.

Then there are the ex-pats; dyed in the wool supporters of Sydney or other interstate clubs who will never be anything but Dragons, Rabbitohs or Roosters fans. Those clubs only come to town once a year so their supporters are looking for a second team to cheer on and take their kids to on a regular basis.

Then there are people like me. Those whose clubs don't exist any more. When Super League killed the North Sydney Bears, I was left without a club to cheer for, anguish over, fume about.

Living in Brisbane, I support the Broncos but it's not the same. It's hard to give yourself totally to a team which once spanked your side 44-6 at Lang Park (although we did beat them 15-14 in the '94 semis). See what I mean?

But a new club that has no history, that never shattered your dreams of seeing your team win at least one premiership before you shuffled off to the big Moreton Bay fig in the sky, now that's another story altogether.

Emotional claptrap? Well obviously, but there's plenty of solid reasons for a second team in Brisbane. There's Suncorp, the best league ground in the world, sitting idle for half the competition.

There's sponsors who are locked out of league because their competitors have tied up the Broncos. Kids who will go for a club because it's new or because they like the jersey. Like, whatever.

There's the fact that the Broncos are so good on and off the field that a second team here would have to be nothing short of sensational just to survive, raising the bar for the Broncos and everyone else, which could only be good for sports fans.

I reckon it just makes better sense than any alternative. As long as they keep holding media get-togethers at Iceworks, count me in.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Very very interesting!

Polynesian ploy as Toutai Kefu joins Brisbane NRL bid team

THE Brisbane bid consortium has struck another blow in the expansion battle with the NRL hopefuls securing the services of former Wallabies star Toutai Kefu.

On the eve of the prospective franchise's official launch at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow, The Sunday Mail can reveal Kefu has agreed to join forces with the bid team by accepting a role mentoring Polynesian youth.

The position is formally subject to the bid team clinching an NRL licence, but Kefu's commitment underlines the ominous momentum being generated by the Brisbane consortium.

Kefu is steeped in rugby union tradition, playing 60 Tests for the Wallabies between 1997-2003, but is relishing the prospect of cultivating the next generation of Polynesian league talent.

"This gives me an opportunity to work in another sport and help out with Polynesian kids," Kefu said.

"Bill Rae (Brisbane bid delegate) is a friend of mine and he had been talking to me about the bid for a few months.

"I honestly didn't take him seriously at first, but then the whole thing started to gain a bit of momentum. I signed on as an ambassador thinking nothing of it, but the bid has kicked on and it sounds great. I'm hoping they get an NRL licence. I'd love to be a part of it.

"Basically, I'll be working with Polynesian kids in a mentoring and talent identification role.

"If you look at the NRL teams these days, almost 50 per cent of players are Polynesian. So with my background and the level I reached in my sport, I think I can offer some mentoring and advice to Polynesian kids."

Rae said the acquisition of Kefu was a major coup for the bid team, which will announce a raft of sponsorship deals at its launch tomorrow. "Toutai is a Queensland and Wallabies' legend so this shows our bid has credibility," Rae said.

"We're rapt to have him on board as part of our vision. We're determined to see as many kids as possible playing rugby league in Brisbane and Toutai will have a big role in that."

The 36-year-old Kefu, who is currently coaching rugby on the Sunshine Coast, believes Polynesian athletes need to be better understood by top-level league and rugby coaches.

"Polynesian athletes do have to be handled differently to white players," he said.

"They relate to other Polynesian coaches or grown-ups. They can be hard to handle sometimes. Away from football, it's important to strike up relationships with them.

"Most of us are from lower-to-middle class backgrounds so we've treaded the same paths.

"I can use my experience along the way to guide Polynesian athletes and help them with life skills away from the field.

"If you take them out of their home environment, they can become homesick.

"And Polynesian people are creatures of habit, we are very close to our families.

"Sometimes with the financial success, they can lose their way with money."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Battle For Brisbane

The consortium seeking to establish a second Brisbane NRL team has made it clear it will chase longtime Brisbane Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett to be its inaugural coach.

The group, headed by Craig Davidson, a former member of Broncos supporters group the Thoroughbreds, released details of its plans in Brisbane on Monday, billing it as the Battle of Brisbane.

Davidson and his bid partners, meat industry mogul Bill Rae and Nicholas Livermore, the son of Queensland Rugby League chairman Ross Livermore, believe they already have the corporate backing and facilities to win approval to go head-to-head with the Broncos if rugby league's new commission gives the nod to NRL expansion.

"It's astonishing the interest pouring in from all areas," Davidson told AAP.

The consortium officially launched a website and unveiled their first four official sponsors at Suncorp Stadium where they plan to play their home games on alternate weeks to the Broncos.

Fans will be able to suggest what players they would like recruited, the club's nickname and the team's colours at www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au.

They have conditional sponsorship agreements with Bundaberg Rum, sportswear company Canterbury, media organisation Austereo and betting agency Centrebet, who have expressed interest in being their major sponsor.

Rival booker Sportingbet Australia last week committed to a new three-year deal with six-time premiers the Broncos for a reported $1.5 million.

Davidson said if reports suggesting NRL master coach Bennett would reject a $1 million-plus offer from South Sydney proved correct it would give his consortium hope of landing him, turning back the clock to 1988 when a young Bennett began his reign as the Broncos' inaugural coach.

"My stance all along is that we want the best CEO, best coach and best players if we clinch an NRL licence," Davidson told News Ltd.

If Davidson's bid team is successful the Broncos will have their first crosstown rivals since the South East Queensland Crushers who debuted in 1995, playing out of Suncorp Stadium before falling victim to the Super League war and folding in 1997 after back-to-back wooden spoons.

Brisbane have had free rein since and they've also been the NRL's best performer in crowds and TV ratings.

http://nrl.com/the-battle-of-brisbane-is-on/tabid/10874/newsid/61421/default.aspx
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!