Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Mead hat-trick not enough for Titans

A HAT-TRICK of tries by winger David Mead has not been enough to stop the New Zealand Warriors downing the Gold Coast Titans 34-14 at Skilled Park on Sunday.

In a David versus Goliath battle, pint-sized Mead won his NRL duel with recalled Warriors giant Manu Vatuvei - back early from a round one knee injury.

But the Warriors won where it counted - on the scoreboard - to seal their first victory over the Titans since 2007, snapping a run of six straight losses to the Gold Coast.

The Warriors (5-4 record) came back from 8-6 down in the first half to run out six tries to three winners over the Titans (3-6) in front of 17,285 largely Kiwi supporters.

Mead's second career hat-trick was impressive, but Warriors pivot James Maloney was not to be outdone - he amassed a personal points tally of 18, including two tries.

After trailing 22-8 at halftime, the Titans hit back when Bodene Thompson burst from dummy half and set up Mead's third try in the 50th minute.

Scott Prince's sideline conversion cut the deficit to 22-14.

Their joy was shortlived as the Warriors blew the deficit out to 28-14 after backrower Elijah Taylor's borderline pass sent Maloney over in the 60th.

Maloney was over again five minutes later when the Titans were caught napping by a quick re-start, allowing the pivot to run 70 metres untouched under the posts.

A controversial try to Taylor helped the Warriors grab a 14-point half-time lead.

Taylor appeared to be tackled by Preston Campbell and Esi Tonga, only to be told to play on by referee Jared Maxwell when he got to his feet.

Campbell and Tonga stood disbelieving at Maxwell as Taylor simply ran around them and scored.

The Warriors scored the last 16 points of the half, after the Titans grabbed an early 8-6 lead thanks to Mead's double.

While he might not have won his personal duel, Vatuvei did mark his return by crossing in the 17th minute, after Titans lock Ash Harrison knocked on from the re-start following Mead's second try.

Another handling error gifted Warriors captain Simon Mannering a 24th-minute try after Campbell surprisingly dropped a Moloney bomb on his line.

Mannering, Lance Hohaia, Ben Matulino and Lewis Brown all backed up from New Zealand's Friday night Test loss to Australia but Sam Rapira (thumb) was not considered.

City backrower Mark Minichiello backed up for the Titans but they lost prop Luke Bailey (neck).

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I know we are only armchair critics but fair dinkum Blind Freddy can see the difference in attitiude in a club when you apply pressure for positions from underneath.

All those Brisbane "kids" have been hammering away and given the opportunity in a rotation over the last few years. I was actually jealous watching them go round. Half the talent twice the application. Our basic formula of loyalty is not being returned by the likes of Henderson and White. Bailey out and this was their chance.

Get Tagataese and Thompson in the forwards where they belong and give Tomane a run ... give them some incentive to aim up and take those two pedestrian props out. Perhaps Taga will at least back James up.

I don't want to slam Prince although he was ordinary and Campbell worse. I also think Bird and Harrison suffer from the middle work they have to do because for those two deadhead props.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I know we are only armchair critics but fair dinkum Blind Freddy can see the difference in attitiude in a club when you apply pressure for positions from underneath.

All those Brisbane "kids" have been hammering away and given the opportunity in a rotation over the last few years. I was actually jealous watching them go round. Half the talent twice the application. Our basic formula of loyalty is not being returned by the likes of Henderson and White. Bailey out and this was their chance.

Get Tagataese and Thompson in the forwards where they belong and give Tomane a run ... give them some incentive to aim up and take those two pedestrian props out. Perhaps Taga will at least back James up.

I don't want to slam Prince although he was ordinary and Campbell worse. I also think Bird and Harrison suffer from the middle work they have to do because for those two deadhead props.
    agreed but also put walker in there. carty doesnt seem to like giving our youngsters shots much, tongia and vave have both gone to the sharks but it would have been nice to keep them both last year sigh

Default Presto weighs up future - again

Laine Clark AAP Sun, May 08, 2011 - 6:51 PM

Not even the prospect of postponing his NRL retirement to play alongside Jamal Idris could cheer up Gold Coast Titans veteran Preston Campbell on Sunday.

"Not after days like this," Campbell said after the Titans' 34-14 loss to the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.

He insists he has not made a final decision on whether he will play one more year, so he can link with new recruit Idris, who begins a lucrative five-season deal from 2012.

Campbell, 33, said it was too early to call.

"I said this time last year that I was retiring and here we are again - we will have to wait and see what happens."

He might not have too much soul searching to do if he repeats another performance like Sunday's effort.

The veteran was the first to admonish himself after three crucial errors led to Warriors' tries, as the visitors bounced back from an early 8-6 deficit.

"It was one of my not-so-memorable games," a forlorn Campbell said.

"It would be easy to apologise to the boys but sometimes it doesn't feel right to apologise.

"All I can do to make it up is come back from it, try and put a better effort in.

"It's disappointing because I am seen as a leader in the team.

"I am the one who is supposed to settle the boys, give the boys confidence.

"They expect better from me and I expect better from myself."

Campbell - 34 next month - looked like he might have a good day when his perfect cut-out pass set up winger David Mead's second try and an 8-6 lead in the 14th minute.

Then it went pear-shaped.

He spilt a James Maloney kick that gifted Simon Mannering's 24th-minute try.

Eight minutes later, he dropped another kick but appeared to tackle Warriors backrower Elijah Taylor with Titans teammate Esi Tonga close to their line - only for referee Jared Maxwell to call "play on".

Markers Campbell and Tonga looked in disbelief at Maxwell as Taylor simply got off the ground and scored.

The final entry on Campbell's blooper tape came in the 60th minute when his attempted short line drop-out backfired and led to a Maloney try.

"Our mistakes cost us. You can't afford to do that," Campbell said.

"I dropped one ball, that's okay - when you drop two, you start to feel really bad.

"Obviously, you can't let it get to you but, when you make a third one, it is hard to get out of that rut."

Junior Titan

Mead and James were great.

Titans were aweful.

I know the its easy to see the fact that they lost and think that they are terrible, but if you look at their performance I think that its probably the best I've seen the team play this year. Without three of our best players (Friend, Bailey, Laffranchi) we only lost because of a few simple errors and bad refs calls. The Warriors like most teams this year only scored off our mistakes.

I think that this team with this game plan will win a lot of games this year if they just cut out the mistakes and get some momentum going.

Preston has always been rocks or diamonds. I doubt he will be dropped. Carty is looking at who brings the most to the team not who is the most entertaining (Shannon Walker). Although having said that I think Shannon has had many chances to be picked and just hasn't got a proper go which is a shame. And it's gonna be hard for Carty to replace Presto now because then you would have a new hooker, five-eighth and fullback.

Also on the game in my opinion that was Zillmans best game at five-eighth. Didnt score five tries but was much more involved in attack and I think just needs to get his hands on the ball more. Also it was only a matter of time before Bodene started adjusting to Centre. I remember playing with him when he was just starting to get a go in first grade and he definately has the speed and the skills for it. Although I would prefer him on that right edge and moving Bird back to the left edge. Bird seems to suit the left side so much better.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackingTitan View Post
    I know the its easy to see the fact that they lost and think that they are terrible, but if you look at their performance I think that its probably the best I've seen the team play this year. Without three of our best players (Friend, Bailey, Laffranchi) we only lost because of a few simple errors and bad refs calls. The Warriors like most teams this year only scored off our mistakes.

I think that this team with this game plan will win a lot of games this year if they just cut out the mistakes and get some momentum going.

Preston has always been rocks or diamonds. I doubt he will be dropped. Carty is looking at who brings the most to the team not who is the most entertaining (Shannon Walker). Although having said that I think Shannon has had many chances to be picked and just hasn't got a proper go which is a shame. And it's gonna be hard for Carty to replace Presto now because then you would have a new hooker, five-eighth and fullback.

Also on the game in my opinion that was Zillmans best game at five-eighth. Didnt score five tries but was much more involved in attack and I think just needs to get his hands on the ball more. Also it was only a matter of time before Bodene started adjusting to Centre. I remember playing with him when he was just starting to get a go in first grade and he definately has the speed and the skills for it. Although I would prefer him on that right edge and moving Bird back to the left edge. Bird seems to suit the left side so much better.
    Good post dude, agree with that but we need to do something with the fullback. Preston can be anything on his day but i just prefer the look of a side with a bigger body at the back.

First the positives, Thompson and James were tremendous. Mead cashed in well and with skill but it was on what Thompson created. Lawton looked okay, much better than Brown who should never play first grade for us again. Michaels was okay and Prince and Zillman were too. Bird was average (agree we need to move him back to the left. Henderson was okay and so was White. Harrison has had a few bad games now in a row and it is hurting us. Esi Tonga was okay too. We just had nothing in defence - it was like boys v men as we were dominated in the ruck with the Warriors doing as they pleased. I felt violated so can only imagine how the players felt. Mistakes are killing us, both ours and the refs.

As for next week, it's time. It's time to get Tomane and Walker in for an extended run. It's time to shift Bodene into right side backrow and Bird onto the left. Mini must play off the bench. Taga needs some time at prop in the Qld Cup before playing there in the NRL, he has been a centre/wide running back rower for ever. Lawton must also play every week, even when Friend is back. Rest Friend for 20 in the middle of a game - Lawton needs time in first grade. Ridge must also be persevered with at least while Laffranchi is out. Play him at back up hooker for Lawton. We can't just let the season slip without trying something different. Without Friend and Bailey we looked clueless. Desperate for us to man-up and smash the Sea-Eagles but we'll get hammered if we play like that again. They have been ruthless this season and playing very well. C'mon Titans give us something!

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I want to agree but I just can't get passed the fact that the backrow are shouldering the slack left by White and Henderson. Last night I watched the three previous games and saw the same things over and over ... these two blokes getting pushed around and the backrow playing middle.

Bird on the left and Thompson on the right no problem, Harrison in that machine role and Mini off the bench. I reckon Taga wouldn't blow out if he was parked mid-field.

I have a thought ... why doesn't Carty get out of that box and get back on the sidelines where he can put those size 13's to good use as a rev-up?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    First the positives, Thompson and James were tremendous. Mead cashed in well and with skill but it was on what Thompson created. Lawton looked okay, much better than Brown who should never play first grade for us again. Michaels was okay and Prince and Zillman were too. Bird was average (agree we need to move him back to the left. Henderson was okay and so was White. Harrison has had a few bad games now in a row and it is hurting us. Esi Tonga was okay too. We just had nothing in defence - it was like boys v men as we were dominated in the ruck with the Warriors doing as they pleased. I felt violated so can only imagine how the players felt. Mistakes are killing us, both ours and the refs.

As for next week, it's time. It's time to get Tomane and Walker in for an extended run. It's time to shift Bodene into right side backrow and Bird onto the left. Mini must play off the bench. Taga needs some time at prop in the Qld Cup before playing there in the NRL, he has been a centre/wide running back rower for ever. Lawton must also play every week, even when Friend is back. Rest Friend for 20 in the middle of a game - Lawton needs time in first grade. Ridge must also be persevered with at least while Laffranchi is out. Play him at back up hooker for Lawton. We can't just let the season slip without trying something different. Without Friend and Bailey we looked clueless. Desperate for us to man-up and smash the Sea-Eagles but we'll get hammered if we play like that again. They have been ruthless this season and playing very well. C'mon Titans give us something!
    Thompson was great but you wanna move him? it's the first time he has realised there is a player outside him and look what happens. Moving him from right centre would be a mistake right now especially when a certain someones defence has not improved at all this year.

I would always wear the away strip on a day like last Sunday and force the Warriors to wear their black strip. Too little too late now and we played like busted ****s anyhow so it may not have helped too much.