Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Default Titans v Roosters preview

NRL.com Wed, Apr 27, 2011 - 2:45 PM

Titans v Roosters
    Skilled Park
    Saturday 5.30pm

Just over seven months ago these two teams suited up in far different circumstances. They were a win away from a grand final, in form and looking like sides that had all the ingredients for long-term NRL success.

But what a difference ? now, after seven rounds of the new season, both the Titans and the Roosters have just a pair of wins each; they sit in lowly 13th and 12th respectively on the NRL ladder and look anything but premiership contenders.

In defence of the Roosters, they actually gave the Dragons a mighty challenge on Anzac Day before falling short, so perhaps they are beginning to turn things around.

But the Titans were close to woeful against the Eels in a scrappy match last Sunday, giving their fans little reason to be optimistic about the year going forward.

They return home prepared to stick with the same 17 who lost in the dying stages against the Eels, although Matthew White is due to start at prop with Michael Henderson going back to the bench.

There is the slight chance of the late inclusion of Preston Campbell also.

The Roosters have decided to shift Mitchell Aubusson back to the centres with the return of Tom Symonds to the second row. Phil Graham moves to the bench. Prop Jason Ryles is also back, pushing Mose Masoe to the reserves? list.

The time has come for one of these sides to get their year headed in the right direction ? because another loss now is going to have them chasing teams uphill for the remainder of the season? and don?t forget the representative fixtures are coming, a disruption for most sides.

Watch Out Titans: One Rooster who is primed for a big performance is captain Braith Anasta. Thrust back into the five-eighth jersey following all of the Todd Carney issues, Anasta is taking it upon himself to lead his side back into the winner?s circle.

He may have won only three of his seven matches against the Titans but Anasta has scored five tries in those games. He also has six line-breaks and five try assists against the Gold Coast ? a sure sign he lifts to take them on. With another week to perfect his combination with Mitchell Pearce, Anasta could well be the difference against the Titans? makeshift pivot William Zillman.

And with City-Country teams named after this round, Anasta may pull out a belter, just to remind selectors he?s still a capable impact player.

Danger Sign: Anasta is at his most dangerous when he takes on the line. The Titans should be prepared to commit numbers to him early as he looks to run ? but should also be aware he has an astute passing game and one of the game?s best centres in Shaun Kenny-Dowall outside him.

Watch Out Roosters: The Titans are ready to hit the right edge, all night long. The Roosters have conceded an NRL-high 10 tries on the right fringe, meaning their left-side defence is having all sorts of problems.

The Gold Coast side is full of potential danger men, with Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello and Greg Bird all established edge runners. Ryan James can come off the bench and cause havoc here also.

Danger Sign: While the mentioned forwards need to be watched on the fringes, also watch for Zillman to have a crack himself. He has a taste for the try line now with five for the year. He?s explosive off the mark and while his defensive play in his new No.6 jersey may be a tad suspect, there?s no doubting he?s revelling in attack.

Plays To Watch: The Titans targeting short-side corridors; grubbers for the fleet-footed SKD; ex-Dragons mates Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey charging into each other without fear; Anasta and Zillman backing themselves on the spur of the moment.

Where It Will Be Won: Scott Prince v Mitchell Pearce. The Roosters went into last season?s grand final qualifier extremely confident for one major reason? they don?t really rate Scott Prince. They are aware he has won plenty of games for his side before, has won a premiership and a Clive Churchill Medal, but our mail is they were solid in the belief that if they applied the blowtorch to his game, he would crumble.

When Prince has time to weave his magic, he is brilliant. But when he is hustled and bustled by the opposition, his game has been known to unravel. The Roosters will look to do this to him again, like they did successfully in the finals in 2010.

Last week Prince was accused of playing in his dinner suit by ex-teammate Chris Walker? you probably won?t hear any big statements out of the Roosters? camp but you can believe they feel the same way.

Meanwhile, Mitchell Pearce is also struggling a little this season. The likely NSW halfback knows he needs to find something extra to lift his side without Carney in the squad. He needs to control the tempo of the game, keep his side on track and keep them composed when deep in attack.

The Roosters had enough quality ball and field position to win three games against the Dragons but forced the last pass or took the wrong option way too often. It is up to Pearce to keep a cool head here.

The halfback who wins the head-to-head-battle will be the one singing the victory song afterwards.

The History: Played 7; Titans 4, Roosters 3. The Titans might have a slight edge but the Roosters have won two of the past three, including when it mattered most ? in last year?s grand final qualifier.

The teams have met just once before at Skilled Park, when the Roosters prevailed 30-16 in Round 12 last year. If you discount last year?s finals blow-out (32-6) the average winning margin between these teams is just 6.8 points.

Conclusion: If the Roosters can continue the form they showed against the Dragons you could be fairly confident they have what it takes to win here. But, they have lacked any semblance of consistency this year, so who knows?

One thing is for sure ? if the Titans continue to play like last week they will have their ?****s smacked? as Scott Prince so delicately put it in the post-match media conference.

Heading back to Skilled Park should help the Titans but this is still anybody?s game. Might be time to toss a coin.

Match officials: Referees ? Matt Cecchin & Gavin Reynolds; Touch Judges ? Jeff Younis & Michael Wise; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I was actually thinking Tags should get a start in there somewhere too.
    yeah he is a very rough defender and is a very good and harder runner, i dont know about you but i think he should be playing over o dwyer

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    yeah he is a very rough defender and is a very good and harder runner, i dont know about you but i think he should be playing over o dwyer
    He was not real good for Ipswich on the weekend but he is a good player.
    Tomane scored a good tackle busting try though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    He was not real good for Ipswich on the weekend but he is a good player.
    Tomane scored a good tackle busting try though.
    i say tomane,walker taga all in the same side has to give you attacking flair and points, add that to a side with the likes of tonga,zilly,michaels,mead,prince,bird etc and i dont see what the problem is for not putting them in especially in our position we are in now

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I would say Carty has Capes pencilled in at FB awaiting results of Presto's return. Walker seems to be the "peoples" choice for FB, but I'd say he needs to prove himself again, not just be a selection based on past performance. Otherwise it all sounds pretty good.
    Walker has performed all year so far and is proving himself however those in front of him are doing ok aswell.

Did Walker play last week? I forgot when he came/comes off suspension

Walker is a must, Capewell is horrible, Campbell is getting too old to be playing a full 80 minutes and throwing his little body into those big front rowers. Walker has to be put at fullback.

WAKE UP TO YOURSELF CARTY!

Capewell is far from horrible. I hope we can keep him long term. He is going to be excellent in the next few years and he is still very young.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    Capewell is far from horrible. I hope we can keep him long term. He is going to be excellent in the next few years and he is still very young.
    Agree 100% the kid will need time to develop into a top player & I hope he gets it
    #itaintweaktospeak

Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is supose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

Look at every other teams fullback- Matt Bowen, Brett Stewart, Ben Barba, Nathan Gardner, Billy Slater, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Darius Boyd.

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesent provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

Yeah maybe Shannon Walker isn't as experienced at these players but he is faster than the majority of them and scores more tries. Walker just needs game time in 1st grade. Walker would run rings around Luke Capewell anyday. Get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by smithers12345 View Post
    Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is suppose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

Look at every other teams fullback- Matt Bowen, Brett Stewart, Ben Barba, Nathan Gardner, Billy Slater, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Darius Boyd.

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesn't provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

Yeah maybe Shannon Walker isn't as experienced at these players but he is faster than the majority of them and scores more tries. Walker just needs game time in 1st grade. Walker would run rings around Luke Capewell anyday. Get rid of him.

Capewell has played the last 3 games at fullback and hasnt even scored a try yet, the fullback is supose to be the player who scores most of the trys in any team along with wingers, not to mention Capewell will a free run to the line against the cowboys and dropping it, HE SUCKS!

And the Titans are stuck with one of the worst fullbacks in the game-Luke Capewell, he doesent provide the spark in attack like all these other fullbacks do.

Nice work. Boyd scored 4 tries in 47 matches for the Dragon prior to this year. Nice to see you know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

yeah but how many tries did he set up?

i was actuely talking about boyd being a great player, you dont have to score tries to be a great player...glad to see you can read

oh and is that why Darius Boyd got fullback of the year?
    oh im sorry, you definetly know what your talking about dont you?

And Capewell will set-up plenty of tries and score plenty too. Give the kid a chance. I'm all for Walker getting a run and I reckon he is a game breaker, but I'm not willing to throw Capewell to the wolves. He needs a season at Half or 5/8 in the Queensland Cup to be the dominate player at that level. He is more than capable of that. His time will come. He is probably the successor to Prince and just needs to rack up experience. He is a former Australian Schoolboys 5/8 and those players normally have plenty of talent that just needs to be nurtured.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

yeah but how many tries did he set up?

i was actuely talking about boyd being a great player, you dont have to score tries to be a great player...glad to see you can read

oh and is that why Darius Boyd got fullback of the year?
    oh im sorry, you definetly know what your talking about dont you?
    I think you misinterpreted my post. I was not alluding to Boyd being bad, I rate Boyd very highly and would place him in the top 3 fullbacks in the competition. My fingers are crossed that we see him in Titans colours next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    As Teke has said before Boyd is exactly what the Titans need. Go have a look at the Dragons game highlights for the past few years and see who is the main link getting the ball to the outside backs. With Boyd playing fullback our outside backs would see more ball then ever before. He is one of the most important possible signings spoken about to date.
    I was actually using Boyd to point out a contradiction in your post. Your theory being Capewell being a bad player was based on the fact he has not scored a try in 3 games and fullbacks are meant to score most of the tries.

A contradiction which is again evident in your reply to my post.

you dont have to score tries to be a great player
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.