Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I would even settle for Mead at fullback but hate it or love it, this is the way Carty coaches so we just gotta stick it out with what he chooses

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I would even settle for Mead at fullback but hate it or love it, this is the way Carty coaches so we just gotta stick it out with what he chooses
    totally agree, we all know carty wil stick by his troops and not make massive changes

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    The last pass I'm willing to chalk it up to both Mini and Capewell calling for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    At least he called - it's up to Mini to decide whether he can pass it or not.
    If Mini passed, it had of stuck, Capes scores under the posts, they are both awesome footballing geniuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    The team has been changed a fair bit already this year. They played well enough to win the Parra game comfortably so it's understandable that the spray was to get the current squad into the right frame of mind.
    Agreed. As Ive said before, at some point you have to accept you are playing with your best team, and let them become the best team they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Agreed. As Ive said before, at some point you have to accept you are playing with your best team, and let them become the best team they can be.
    That certainly works for Queensland in Origin.

In Titans case we have an injured Preston that can play 5/8...I thought we went wrong by swapping Zillman and Capewell around in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I thought we went wrong by swapping Zillman and Capewell around in the first place.
    Swapping which way? I was adamant about Zilly FB and letting Capes gel into 5/8, but convinced Zilly is the man at 5/8 now. Not convinced Capes is our FB though, but seems he has 1 more week to prove himself right, and prove me wrong. Good luck Capes!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Swapping which way? I was adamant about Zilly FB and letting Capes gel into 5/8, but convinced Zilly is the man at 5/8 now. Not convinced Capes is our FB though, but seems he has 1 more week to prove himself right, and prove me wrong. Good luck Capes!
    Zillman used to be our Fullback...I thought Capewell was bought for the 5/8 position...Carty has swapped it around but I haven't seen any fullback qualities in Capewell.

Default Titans sweat on Campbell

Officially, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright named an unchanged 17 for Saturday night's NRL clash with Sydney Roosters.

But the frustrated mentor is sweating on adding a name that may just turn their disappointing season start around - inspirational veteran Preston Campbell.

Cartwright would never describe the Titans as a one-man team but he conceded the wily utility would have made a difference in their gut-wrenching last round loss to the Eels - their fifth defeat in seven rounds.

Campbell has been missing in action for a month since injuring his knee in round three - and it seems his return could not come soon enough judging by Cartwright.

"We miss him when he is not there basically," Cartwright said on Tuesday.

"You tend to know when Preston is not on the field for us and at the training field especially.

"He provides just something that has been lacking in our side.

"On the weekend with Preston on the field it would have made a difference on how we approached the last 10 minutes - he's that important to our side."

Campbell will be assessed later in the week but if he returns he is likely to replace Luke Capewell at fullback judging by Cartwright's glowing assessment of makeshift pivot Will Zillman on Tuesday.

Clearly Cartwright had calmed down from his seething post-match display at Parramatta where he slammed the Titans' "arrogance" after throwing caution to the wind in the final minutes - costing them the game.

One of the main offenders was backrower Mark Minichiello, whose poor options late in the match included a pushed pass that set the Eels on course for a match winning try with 37 seconds left on the clock.

But asked if it was tempting to bench Minichiello for the Roosters clash, Cartwright said: "You can't base your decision on one game.

"He realises he made a couple of errors at the end of the game, and I know he won't do it again.

"It's not an area that has been a concern for us - last year we won more close games than anyone else in the competition.

"I was just worried about not being further in front than we were at that stage - that's what cost us the game not a couple of rash decisions at the end of the game."

While conceding their form did not warrant many State of Origin places, Cartwright backed lock Ashley Harrison to hold his Queensland spot despite pressure from North Queensland tackling machine Dallas Johnson.

"Your (team) form dictates that (Origin selection), and we are not winning enough games to get many into State of Origin - that's a fact," he said.

"As a team we have to start winning games, then individual rewards come your way."

But Cartwright said of Harrison: "I couldn't imagine him not being there - whether we are winning or losing one constant is Harro."

Cartwright also threw Greg Bird into the Origin mix.

"He is a player that thrives on that type of footy," he said.

www.nrl.com

Preston Campbell may be late inclusion

HAVING named the same 17-man squad for the third week running, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright hinted there may be one late change as his side looks to ruffle some feathers against Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park on Saturday.

While content with not 'chopping and changing' and pleased with the William Zillman experiment in the halves, Cartwright admitted that if he had a magic wand he'd use it to get the real magician back on the pitch.

''Preston is the main one we're waiting on,'' Cartwright said of Campbell who is still working his way back to full fitness following a medial ligament injury sustained against Canberra in round four.

''If he comes through the week alright we'll have to make a decision as to whether to include him or not.

''He's number one for his composure and cool head and if Preston was on the field at the weekend (against Parramatta) it definitely would have made a difference to how we approached the final 10 minutes (when the Titans conceded the losing try).''

GOLD COAST TITANS SQUAD: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. INTERCHANGE: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Would Preston force Capewell out of fullback or Zillman out of 5/8? Or would someone drop off the bench? So many questions

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Would Preston force Capewell out of fullback or Zillman out of 5/8? Or would someone drop off the bench? So many questions
    Surely Preston at fullback and keep Zillman at 5/8th. Im a fan of Zillman at 5/8th, he just needs to pass the ball, look for support and offer support more and I'll be alot more satisfied.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

How can Carty pick Luke Capewell at fullback? He has been given 2 games in a row at fullback and has done absolutely NOTHING. Not to mention the linebreak he made against the Cowboys and dropping it cold, he is pathetic, he doesent provide any spark or attack to the team. A fullback is meant to be a dangerous player, he certainly is not that!

They need to put Shannon Walker in, hes fast, hard to tackle and very dangerous, we need to take a risk and out someone in that may win us games, im sure Shannon can score trys week in week out.

Zillman is performing exceptional at 5/8, i think we have found a halves partner for Prince.
    1. Walker (provide us with a lot more attack and flare than capewell)
    2. Michaels (speed on the wing is crucial)
    3. Tonga (stepped up to the mark and has great footwork)
    4. Tomane (strength and speed, not to mention a prelific tryscorer)
    5. Mead (not sure, hasnt been scoring many tries, need to prove himself)
    6. Zillman (great at 5/8)
    7. Prince (must have, great leader)
    8. Bailey (Provides great go forward and a veteran, experienced player)
    9. Friend (defence and tackling is exceptional, fittest player in the team)
    10. Laffranchi (former international and very experienced)
    11. Bird ( International and origin player, one of our best in 2011)
    12. Minichello (great line running and very powerful close to the line)
    13. Harrison (Origin player and leads our forwards)

14. White
    15. James
    16. Thompson
    17. Campbell

Provide feedback please

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by smithers12345 View Post
    How can Carty pick Luke Capewell at fullback? He has been given 2 games in a row at fullback and has done absolutely NOTHING. Not to mention the linebreak he made against the Cowboys and dropping it cold, he is pathetic, he doesent provide any spark or attack to the team. A fullback is meant to be a dangerous player, he certainly is not that!

They need to put Shannon Walker in, hes fast, hard to tackle and very dangerous, we need to take a risk and out someone in that may win us games, im sure Shannon can score trys week in week out.

Zillman is performing exceptional at 5/8, i think we have found a halves partner for Prince.

14. White
    15. James
    16. Thompson
    17. Campbell

Provide feedback please
    I like it and would score points.

My main points for Carty are to get Capewell out and get Tomane in.

Provide feedback please
    Ok, since you've asked....

Mead has been a stand-out, along with Michaels on the wings. For some reason the same people who complain about players performing badly in the wrong position also want to move those that are playing awesome in their given position.... some people are never happy!

I would say Carty has Capes pencilled in at FB awaiting results of Presto's return. Walker seems to be the "peoples" choice for FB, but I'd say he needs to prove himself again, not just be a selection based on past performance. Otherwise it all sounds pretty good.

Banned

14. White
    15. James
    16. Thompson
    17. Campbell

Provide feedback please
    i almost agree but i would like tagatese in somewhere, maybe for white/james? and ridge should be in there somewhere too. otherwise a good lineup

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    i almost agree but i would like tagatese in somewhere, maybe for white/james? and ridge should be in there somewhere too. otherwise a good lineup
    I was actually thinking Tags should get a start in there somewhere too.