Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    fooking hell cartwright put tomane in already virtually everyone wants him in there and mead at fullback
    I don't see the need to change anything as much as i'd like to see Tomane get a run

Have faith in your coach , a lot of people were screaming for Prince to be dropped last week & he made them all look like a Goose
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I don't see the need to change anything as much as i'd like to see Tomane get a run

Have faith in your coach , a lot of people were screaming for Prince to be dropped last week & he made them all look like a Goose
    i just like to see someone like tomane get a run because he is top tryscorer in qld cup and he was still beastly in attack for us last year, and capewell is going ok but i think we should give tomane a run against a team thats crumbling. we'll obviously still win but i do think tomane should be in that side on the wing and mead again excelling at fullback.

Junior Titan

A goose, is Prince back is he?

Like i have said the 1st 20 minutes was as disgusting as it gets with Prince being the main culprit. He took on the line once and now he's the best again.
    I dont think so, but it is an improvement.

why is Capewell fullback but Mead is taking all the kick returns?
    its a waste, i cant see capewell doing much other than supporting the play on the 4th/5th which i beleive Mead could do even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    A goose, is Prince back is he?

Like i have said the 1st 20 minutes was as disgusting as it gets with Prince being the main culprit. He took on the line once and now he's the best again.
    I dont think so, but it is an improvement.

why is Capewell fullback but Mead is taking all the kick returns?
    its a waste, i cant see capewell doing much other than supporting the play on the 4th/5th which i beleive Mead could do even better.
    Would u have liked him to play 80 like that , the light switch was thrown back on for Prince , probably from one of the many head knocks he received & i for 1 am happy he's back ... even if it was only for 60 minutes
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Would u have liked him to play 80 like that , the light switch was thrown back on for Prince , probably from one of the many head knocks he received & i for 1 am happy he's back ... even if it was only for 60 minutes
    i dont give a sh ite how they played then as long as its gone and prince is back, i wanna see the 07-09 prince back, he was the best hb by far in that period

Cartwright names unchanged Titans side

Laine Clark AAP Tue, Apr 19, 2011 - 2:33 PM

If Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright was relieved his rebuilding NRL side would not have to combat Eels X-factor Jarryd Hayne this weekend, he hid it well on Tuesday.

In the coach's box at games, Cartwright wears his heart on his sleeve.

But he did his best poker face when asked about Hayne missing Sunday's clash at Parramatta Stadium after the Eels No.1 was this week slapped with a two-match ban for headbutting.

Indeed Cartwright was not taking anything for granted after his Titans (2-4 record) revived their season with a come from behind last round win over Wests Tigers.

"We won't even mention that," Cartwright said of Hayne's suspension.

"Obviously they are dangerous with him there.

"But whoever is in there is going to want to keep their spot and hungry players generally win games for you.

"Whoever goes in there is going to be hungry."

And Cartwright was not breathing any easier after skipper Scott Prince sparked their remarkable last start victory at Skilled Park.

The stage is set for a Titans recovery with their next two games against Parramatta and the besieged Sydney Roosters (both 2-4 record).

But Cartwright said lessons learned from their 2011 drought-breaking win in Canberra in round four ensured they would keep their feet on the ground.

"You definitely feel a lot different early in the week (after a win) but you can't fall into the trap of feeling relieved - it takes your focus away," he said.

"We might have fallen into that trap after our poor start and then got away with a win against the Raiders.

"There was a sigh of relief (after the Canberra game).

"We can't afford to do that now.

"We have two very winnable games in the next two weeks and if we do we will be in much better shape."

Cartwright had the luxury of naming an unchanged side on Tuesday for the round seven clash with the Eels.

Interchange forward Sam Tagataese was included on a five-man bench after missing last weekend's game.

Meanwhile, the Eels clash will mark Titans warhorse Luke Bailey's 200th match.

Titans: Luke Capewell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince (c), Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matt White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Sam Tagataese.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Damn, I really would have liked to see Mead at fullback, but I'm guessing he'll still field most of the kick returns anyway.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Damn, I really would have liked to see Mead at fullback, but I'm guessing he'll still field most of the kick returns anyway.
    Yeah i dont get it, he will feild most of the kick returns but defend on the wing.
    He must be moving off his wing early and I hope no team exploits that by running through his side on the last.
    I also know that i would prefer Mead in the last line if it is going to be a 1 on 1trysaver.

See how we go then.

With Zillman still developing at five-eighth we need a fullback who can kick and pass well. I'm keen for Mead to get a run there but with Zillman settling in I think we need Capewell's full ****nal of skills from the back.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

only way capewell will get dropped is if he get injuryed... sigh

Default Eels needing to defy Hayne hoodoo

Hayne on Tuesday accepted the early guilty plea and two-week ban for his headbutt on Canterbury forward Corey Payne, the NSW Origin and Test star to miss crucial matches against Gold Coast and premiers St George Illawarra.

The Eels said the risk of burdening Hayne with carry-over points had he unsuccessfully challenged the charge was too great.

"We just didn't feel there was any grounds (on which to challenge) the charge," Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said.

"We didn't want to waste anyone's time.

"You've still got to carry over 70 points if you lose - it's a deterrent."

Hayne's unavailability is a massive blow to a blue and gold outfit needing to turn its season around in a hurry if it is to stay in touch with the finals contenders.

The Eels have won only two matches in 2011, and their last win without Hayne in the side was in June 2008 - when the former international footballer of the year was still flittering between centre and wing.

Since then the Eels have gone none from four without Hayne, with hooker Casey McGuire adamant Sunday's game against the Titans was an opportunity to prove Parramatta was no one-man team.

"I don't think we rely on him too much," McGuire said.

"Jarryd does do a lot - he is obviously the star of the team - but we've got guys who can step up and contribute to a win.

"We're probably getting desperate (for a win) pretty soon ... if we start playing for the 80 minutes, the wins will come."

Payne accepted the early guilty plea to a one week ban for the high tackle which provoked Hayne, and will miss Saturday night's clash against South Sydney on Saturday night.

Wests Tigers will contest the grading of Chris Heighington's high tackle charge on Wednesday night in a bid to avoid suspension, the Tigers lock the first player to appear before the NRL judiciary this season.

Canberra pivot Josh McCrone, Newcastle forward Steve Southern and Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen all escaped suspension after entering early guilty pleas.

South Sydney backrower Michael Crocker has until midday Wednesday to make a plea after he was charged with a grade one dangerous throw on St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale in the Dragons' 16-0 win on Monday night.

Crocker will be free to tackle the Bulldogs this weekend if he accepts the early plea.

Good to see the grub took his medicine.

I'm happy with the team. If those guys can rally back from 14 down to beat the Tigers they will get the job done against the Eels - my most hated team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    With Zillman still developing at five-eighth we need a fullback who can kick and pass well. I'm keen for Mead to get a run there but with Zillman settling in I think we need Capewell's full ****nal of skills from the back.
    Totally agree, Mead can do his kamikazi runs at full explosiveness and not have to be worried about running himself to exhaustion. Fullbacks run all day so I would much rather Capes doing it than Mead.

Anyone mentioned Mead v Jordan Atkins They are goods mates and should be fun to watch. Im predicting a few line breaks from Michaels and Mead this weekend from the lazy Parra chasers.

Eels rank outsiders after Hayne ban

WANNA know how far the Eels have sunk since that Jarryd Hayne brain explosion?

"Mate, we've taken more money on Gold Coast winning the AFL premiership," TAB spokesman Glenn Munsie said last night. "And they're currently at odds of 1000/1."

While they started 2011 among the NRL competition favourites, the Eels are now rank outsiders following the two-week suspension to superstar fullback Jarryd Hayne.

Parramatta's poster boy took an early guilty plea after being charged with a grade two striking offence following a headbutt on Bulldog Corey Payne in last Friday night's heated clash at ANZ Stadium.

Hayne wasn't speaking last night but Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said the club had decided to plead guilty following the advice of leading Sydney lawyer Geoff Bellew SC.

While Hayne last year contested, and beat, an identical striking charge following an incident with Melbourne rival Billy Slater, the wording of the infringement has been changed.

Last year it had to be proved that Hayne had shown intent to inflict pain or injury.

However, judiciary chairman judge Paul Conlon had the ruling reworded into its present form - which now makes striking an "absolute" offence with no requirement to prove any "specific intention".

The Eels have only won two of their opening six games and sit second last on the ladder. Yet Osborne last night laughed off suggestions that his club may penalise Hayne for a moment of madness that yesterday pushed his team out to a staggering $67 in premiership betting.

"We're disappointed but we'll cop this one on the chin and move forward," he said.

Asked if his club would consider punishing the fullback, Osborne said: "No. Everyone here is simply concentrating on our game this Sunday afternoon."After two rounds the Eels were as short as $15 to win the premiership. Yet without their star attacking weapon the money has dried up for the Eels in their match against the Gold Coast at home on Sunday.

"We've taken $38 over two days for the Eels to win the premiership," Munsie said. "To put that in some perspective, we've taken $50 on the Suns to do the same thing in the AFL.

"The Eels remain our worst way. They're the most heavily backed team behind St George and Melbourne. But unless they can find someone to step up over the next couple of weeks ... they could be in for a long season."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Titan O'Dwyer raring to take on Eels

Jake Dew | April 20th, 2011

LUKE O'Dwyer admits the challenge of cracking a permanent spot in the Titans' top 17 was providing his motivation after earning another opportunity against former club Parramatta on Sunday.

Plagued by injury through the past two seasons, O'Dwyer again battled the personal demons before a ball was kicked in 2011 after cracking his rib cartilage in the pre-season victory over the Rabbitohs.

Having walked the long road back to the top after tearing his ACL late in the Titans' 2009 campaign, the 28-year-old had been impressive over the past two rounds, including his 31-minute stint in last weekend's win over the Tigers.

And with the trip south to face the Eels, the club he spent three seasons with before joining the Titans, the Tweed Seagulls junior was raring to go after revealing his confidence had been fully restored after a frustrating 18 months where he felt confined to the rehabilitation group.

"With the knee, they're a long process, and while you come back and play after eight months, you're not back to your best," he said.

"It's one of those things where you get your power and speed back but it's also the confidence you have to get back as well."

Forming a close bond with Titans rehabilitation coach Ron Palmer last season, O'Dwyer hopes the only time they speak this season is when the fitness guru hands him a water bottle on the field.

Coach John Cartwright hopes it's the case as well.

One of a long list of Titans -- including Michael Henderson, Ben Ridge, Nathan Friend, David Mead, Esi Tonga and William Zillman -- to have come back from serious injury, Cartwright was impressed by O'Dwyer's application.

"We have a few guys in that boat," Cartwright said in reference to returning from serious injury.

"(Luke) had a horrendous injury there not last year, the year before, and it probably took him most of last year to get over it.

"But he's had another off-season and had his chance the other night and took it."
    #itaintweaktospeak