Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Scott Prince facing greater challengge yet

STRUGGLING Gold Coast Titans skipper Scott Prince has made the sobering admission that arresting his club's horror start presents his greatest challenge yet.

The star halfback, who returned from a hamstring injury in Friday night's 22-12 loss to North Queensland in Townsville, knows he's playing like a busted tyre.

Prince has been nowhere near his sparkling best in the depleted Gold Coast outfit's 1-4 start to 2011.

Without the retired Mat Rogers beside him, Prince is struggling to challenge the line in attack, his kicking is off and he's falling off tackles.

But the 240-match veteran is hardly alone in an injury-hit squad that has managed just a golden-point win in Canberra last week from their opening five matches.

Significantly for the Titans, every one of their big names has faced injury or suspension setbacks early in 2011.

"This year is probably the most challenging I've ever faced," Prince said.

"We've had our ups and downs in the past but, in terms of starts to the year, this has been really challenging as a player.

"Even though I'm captain, I do believe everyone is a leader in their own right in the team. It's not just me.

"Across the board, it's been a really challenging start to the season.

"I can't say I can single myself out, across the board everyone is disappointed.

"It's not that the effort's not there.

"Everyone's working hard for each other but this year, if you're off just that slightest bit in any area of the game, you're going to pay for it."

Despite three matches remaining in round five, the Titans are guaranteed to sit last for points scored (62) ahead of next Friday's home clash with Wests Tigers.

In-form Gold Coast flyer Steve Michaels has been a rare attacking ray of light.

Worryingly for the Titans, fast-starters in their top-four runs in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons, teams have required a minimum 28 points in four of the past five seasons just to make the play-offs.

In addition to two byes, that equals 12-plus wins, with the Titans already facing a stiff challenge to secure at least 11 victories from their remaining 19 games.

"You want to win every game, but we'll be right," Prince said."We can't be sitting on our butts whingeing and whining and carrying on.

"We just have to re-assess, sort out the things we need to sort out, and get back into it again."

The injury and suspension disruptions to stars Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Friend, Mark Minichiello, Brad Meyers, Ash Harrison, Preston Campbell and Greg Bird have hurt.

So, too, has Friend's public contract dispute with the club, with the popular hooker a key man in the side.

Add to that the retirement of veteran No. 6 Rogers and you get an idea why this gritty team is out of sorts.

"The disruptions ... we don't want to look at them as excuses, but it is hard," Prince said.

"You'd have to say Rat [Rogers] played a lot of time there in the past two years, so I guess in terms of combinations it is [starting again]."

The Titans will welcome back five-eighth Bird for the match against the Tigers, with Harrison (ankle) and Campbell (knee) both outside chances of playing.

But Bird's return is likely to be tempered by the loss of Laffranchi, who left Townsville on crutches with his right ankle in a space boot, just three games into his his return from off-season shoulder and wrist surgeries.

"I hate losing, I hate not playing well, especially being injured as well, I'm extremely disappointed," Laffranchi said. "I hate missing any game after doing a lot of hard work to get back. It's another little setback."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

We're in massive trouble......tigers by 50

Halves dilemma pivotal for Titans

JOHN Cartwright has denied the Titans have major problems at five-eighth but said the lack of success this season meant the position was under the spotlight.

The Titans have failed to convert pressure and field position to points in most of their five games this season, with the halves combination a major talking point.

Greg Bird wore the No. 6 jersey in the club's only win this season -- notching a field goal in extra time to break the Titans' Canberra hoodoo.

But with Bird suspended after pleading guilty to a striking charge against Raider Matt Orford and forced to watch Friday's 22-12 loss to the Cowboys from the Coast, the Titans' five-eighth conundrum was exposed.

While Luke Capewell was originally named at No. 6, William Zillman played much of the game at pivot, with coach John Cartwright happy with his effort.

But Cartwright conceded that with the Titans having won just one game so far this season, they needed to examine all aspects of their game.

"When you're not winning, you've got to look for a reason why," he said.

Cartwright is unsure of which way he will turn for Friday's crucial home clash against Wests Tigers.

"Greg Bird did a good job against Canberra and I was pretty happy with the way Zillman went against the Raiders when he was put there and again on Friday," he said.

Bird's best position is arguably in the back row, although Cartwright said the team lost none of his hard edge when he lined up in the halves.

"We use him pretty much like a backrower when he's at No. 6," Cartwright said.

"It depends with injuries (whether he's named there this week). We've got to weigh up what we think is best for the team and that's what we'll go with."

The Titans' depth in the pack allows Bird to be used like an extra forward when he is at five-eighth.

But with Anthony Laffranchi (ankle) almost certain to miss this week's game and Ashley Harrison (hamstring) not a definite starter, Bird may be needed in the pack.

"It'll have a bearing on it. We'll see how many injuries we have," Cartwright said.

"It might be through necessity Bird plays there.

"But as soon as we find a combination that works for us, we'll stick with it."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

It is not pretty seeing the Gold Coast at the bottom of the ladder. It reminds me of the early 90s when the Seagulls were getting lapped.

It has to end this Friday.

Junior Titan

Hopefully Carty will go with this as the starters.
    Need a little shake up.

1 Mead
    2 Michaels
    3 Tonga
    4 Thompson
    5 Tomane
    6 Zillman
    7 Prince
    8 Bailey
    9 Friend
    10 James
    11 Bird
    12 Thompson
    13 Harrison

Titans will win this and win it easily, Tigers have too many out and the Titans will be soooooo fired up to play well.

If Tigers had their full team they might win, but they have no chance without Tuqiri and Lawrence and Lui and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Titans will win this and win it easily, Tigers have too many out and the Titans will be soooooo fired up to play well.

If Tigers had their full team they might win, but they have no chance without Tuqiri and Lawrence and Lui and the others.
    That's what Souths probably were thinking too
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Too right. The Tigers have proved that they can cop with a heavy injury toll and still have a kill instinct. We need to be on red alert.

Taga should just zero in on Benjis knees and take out one of the main threats for this years title

Don't ever compare us to Souths again.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Don't ever compare us to Souths again.
    Good call! Pull ya head in Pete
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Taga should just zero in on Benjis knees and take out one of the main threats for this years title
    I was thinking his head, but what yeh - whatever works!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

i feel for walker now
    if he was suspended he would of played a game

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    Hopefully Carty will go with this as the starters.
    Need a little shake up.

1 Mead
    2 Michaels
    3 Tonga
    4 Thompson
    5 Tomane
    6 Zillman
    7 Prince
    8 Bailey
    9 Friend
    10 James
    11 Bird
    12 Thompson
    13 Harrison
    I like it, this might be better though:

1. Zillman
    2. Michaels
    3. Thompson
    4. Thompson
    5. Thompson
    6. Bird
    7. Thompson
    8. Bailey
    9. Friend
    10. Thompson
    11. Thompson
    12. Thompson
    13. Harrison

14. Thompson
    15. Thompson
    16. Thompson
    17. Thompson

this one could turn nasty i reckon, farah will be going at prince all night and someone will have ten in the bin, wondering how the refs are going to police the scrums, expecting a few to blow up, legion will have to make loads of noise to back the team up and try to sway the refs in our favour for once..