Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Missed opportunities costs Titans against Cowboys

Missed opportunities costs Titans against Cowboys

Adam Gardini
    8/04/2011 10:24:30 PM

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans were left to lament missed opportunities after suffering a 22-12 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium tonight.

The Jetstar Titans were unable to convert scoring opportunities into points in the opening half while the Cowboys made the most of theirs as they raced out to a 22-0 lead.

To their credit, the Titans fought their way back in the second half with winger Steve Michaels scoring one try and setting up another for centre Esi Tonga just before full-time but it was not enough to reverse the damage of the opening 40 minutes.

In the first half, winger David Mead was denied one try while fullback Luke Capewell was unable to handle the ball in another try scoring situation as the Titans were left to face their fourth loss in five matches this season.

The Cowboys were first to score when centre Willie Tonga caught the Titans? defence short on the left edge to give the home side a 6-nil lead.

That lead was extended to 10 points when Johnathan Thurston charged down a Scott Prince kick and raced 60 metres to score.

The Titans were disallowed a try to winger David Mead and immediately afterwards former Titan Gavin Cooper made them pay with a try of his own to give the Cowboys a commanding 16-0 lead inside the final 13 minutes of the opening half.

Another Titans scoring opportunity went begging just before halftime when fullback Luke Capewell dropped the ball after supporting a bust by Sam Tagataese.

From the ensuing set of six, Thurston set up a try for fullback Matt Bowen to give the home side a 22-0 lead at the break.

But the Titans got back in the arm wrestle after the break and were rewarded for their efforts when winger Steve Michaels capped a sweeping backline movement with some nice footwork and a handy 30m run to the try line to give the visitors some hope at 22-6 with 20 minutes remaining.

However, the Titans were unable to reel the home side in, with Tonga scoring a consolation try right on full-time.

www.titans.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Default North Queensland Cowboys 22 d Gold Coast Titans 12 at Dairy Farmers Stadium

North Queensland Cowboys 22 d Gold Coast Titans 12 at Dairy Farmers Stadium

Damien Stannard From: The Courier-Mail April 08, 2011 9:34PM

FOR too long now, North Queensland Cowboys coach Neil Henry has had more questions than answers.

Obvious ones like who will command the No.6 jumper, which forward can strike fear on the edges and how much gas remains in the tanks of Aaron Payne and Matt Bowen spring to mind.

Some answers finally arrived during North Queensland's 22-12 thumping of the Gold Coast Titans in Townsville and two were marked Ray Thompson, Gavin Cooper and plenty.

Captain Johnathan Thurston emphasised his brilliance with a five-star performance.

And Willie Tonga, who has had a quiet start to the season, had his way with young rival Bodene Thompson.

But they alone cannot carry North Queensland to the finals.

They need unfulfilled talent like Cooper to take the step from role player to strike forward and that is precisely what he did.

He started his career at North Queensland before stints at the Titans and Panthers and has now found a home between Thurston and Tonga.

If he can turn this breakthrough into a pattern, then the Cowboys pack, led by Payne, Matt Scott and giant prop James Tamou will run rampant over more teams.

The only question that remains is whether the aimless Titans made them look good.

That can only be settled if North Queensland demonstrate some consistency against the Raiders, Sharks and Sea Eagles over the next three weeks.

Only 13,651 people were at Dairy Farmers Stadium, perhaps a reflection of the hot and cold theme of the Cowboys' start to the season.

So which would it be? The smoking hot unit that put the cleaners through Melbourne a fortnight ago or the tepid mob whose hands let them down against the Eels?

Smoking hot did not do justice to the Cowboys in the first half.

Their left-side trio of Thurston, Cooper and Willie Tonga humiliated their direct opponents.

All scored tries as the Cowboys ruthlessly took it to the Gold Coast.

With fullback Matt Bowen slipping in between them to create doubt as to who would ultimately flick the switch, the Titans' defence looked dumbfounded.

Bodene Thompson, usually a strong defender, had trouble counting the numbers aligned against him and that is where the Cowboys struck repeatedly.

All four of North Queensland's first-half tries were scored down that corridor, with Tonga and Cooper slicing the visitors open with ease.

North Queensland dominated possession and territory, which meant on the rare occasions the Titans did threaten, fatigue forced them into errors.

Thurston bobbed up for two trysaving tackles, one on Ben Ridge and the other on five-eighth Luke Capewell.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

I got Prince and Zillman mixed up a couple of times too. Was hard to tell them apart when they were on the ground after being brushed by defenders. They're defence cost us the game. Cooper and Thurston and Tonga just pinpointed them and we got hammered.

There is a lot of crap being written on here but Prince being benched or dropped isn't it. It must happen. Thompson was close to our best player. Play him anywhere, it won't matter. Capewell should be our 7 for the next few games. Tomane is a must. I don't think his defence is bad at all, it's not a's good as Bodene's bit look how bad Prince can make him look if you blokes reckon he shouldn't be at centre. Mead is a passenger at the moment - we need to move him to get him some ball. My team for next week is

1. Zillman
    2. Michaels
    3. Tonga
    4. Mead
    5. Tomane
    6. Bird
    7. Capewell
    8. Bailey
    9. Friend
    10. Henderson
    11. Thompson
    12. Minichiello
    13. Harrison

14. Ridge
    15. Tagataese
    16. Meyers
    17. James

White was rubbish tonight and although Henderson wasn't much better he is 10 times the player that White is. Tagataese was okay tonight. Not sure how long Meyers is out but he was good last week. O'Dwyer was solid and I'd have him in if anyone is out. If Mead can't handle the centre spot then we go back to Thompson and keep Chalky on the bench.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Did anyone think that ridge actually ever knocked that ball on for the first try? I thought we got smashed by the refs early and never recovered. We fought the whole time and there is still some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    stats from nrlstats.com.au (not finalised yet, but you get an idea)

7. Scott Prince Halfback 1 (7m) runs 11 tackles 6 tackles missed 1 offloads 2 errors 1 penalties conceded
    Thanks to Prince by tipping got off to screamer again this week and bloody souths didn't help either.

In my Fox Fantasy I think Prince got about 11 points. Now he's killing my fantasies as well.

Will always back the Titans to win but I will have to use my head from here on in for my tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I thought Capewell did great.
    I would have Preston half, Zillman 5/8, Capewell 1
    I'd prob have Presto FB and let him rotate with Zilly to keep the defense guessing. Capewell is showing what a bit of time in the majors can do.

As far as teams go, Taga has to get a run somewhere. he and Steve Michaels have been shining lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    This is gonna test who is a Titans fan and who is not, our side looks crap, we are playing like tards. Will be interesting to see who can support a team that is playing like that for a full year.
    I can always support the Titans team, but I am failing in my ability to see the management with the same misty eyed romance as when they first started signing talent. Somewhere, someone has lost the plot on who is worth keeping and who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    The lack of confidence that Scott Prince has right now is the biggest factor in how the Titans perform.

In other news, Nathan Friend is a welcome boost to the team and Steve Michaels is a gun.
    Both 100%, and I couldn;t agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    In my Fox Fantasy I think Prince got about 11 points. Now he's killing my fantasies as well.
    Crazy to have him in your team. I can't wait for fresh trades so i can move Friendy straight back in.

stats from nrlstats.com.au (not finalised yet, but you get an idea)

7. Scott Prince Halfback 1 (7m) runs 11 tackles 6 tackles missed 1 offloads 2 errors 1 penalties conceded
    Stats updated this morning. He made 13 tackles missed 9, 3 runs for 7 meters

Stats updated this morning. He made 13 tackles missed 9, 3 runs for 7 meters
    I have no doubt we would of won last night with Riley Brown in the 7...

At last!!!!!

For the second year now, Scott Prince is becoming more of a liability than an advantage. all other teams have worked him out. They let him run sideways and cramp his outside backs and they wait for the line runners - boof used to score heaps of tries off him but he now only scores the rare barge-over. Scotty should hang them up. He is no longer at pace with the game. His kicking game is crap, he has no running game, his fifth tackle options are poor, he is a turnstile in defence and despite all that, Searly and carty will say that he is brilliant. I AM FED UP WITH THE BULL****!!!

When we win the big away games against the big teams, we do it without Prince - always. Now is the time to reire him.
    Also, why would we extend a coach who has done nothing. He has had a team capable of winning and they have gone out of the semi's each time as if they were shot out of a cannon. He has a team with a disgraceful penalty count record over the last couple of years and he continues o paly favourites.

The Sydney media believe the Titans are too beatable because they are too predictable. We have to stop putting people on pedestals when they dont deserve it.

Put Nathan Friend on a pedestal. he deserves it - you know what you will get from him each week and it is first class. But when Carty was asked about him yesterday he said "why is everyone talking about one player when we have 12 off contract this year?" wake up and read the forums and open your ears - he may only have a couple of years left in him but he is the best rake around.

The one thing I can't fault about Prince's game last night was the execution of his kicks. Did anyone notice that every bomb he put up (not saying it was the right option) landed within 3 metres the right side of the try line? Don't get me wrong he was rubbish. His grubber got intercepted by Thurston but that was a freak of a play. He also kicked one dead but I thought that was probably the best outcome at that stage of the game. I think Prince can get himself back to his best, but not in the NRL with all of the pressure. Let him have a few weeks off in the Qld Cup, get his mojo back and come and steer the Titans toward a massive season turn around. At the moment he is wearing the other players out by playing sub-par.

Quote Originally Posted by redwine10 View Post
    At last!!!!!

For the second year now, Scott Prince is becoming more of a liability than an advantage. all other teams have worked him out. They let him run sideways and cramp his outside backs and they wait for the line runners - boof used to score heaps of tries off him but he now only scores the rare barge-over. Scotty should hang them up. He is no longer at pace with the game. His kicking game is crap, he has no running game, his fifth tackle options are poor, he is a turnstile in defence and despite all that, Searly and carty will say that he is brilliant. I AM FED UP WITH THE BULL****!!!

When we win the big away games against the big teams, we do it without Prince - always. Now is the time to reire him.
    Also, why would we extend a coach who has done nothing. He has had a team capable of winning and they have gone out of the semi's each time as if they were shot out of a cannon. He has a team with a disgraceful penalty count record over the last couple of years and he continues o paly favourites.

The Sydney media believe the Titans are too beatable because they are too predictable. We have to stop putting people on pedestals when they dont deserve it.

Put Nathan Friend on a pedestal. he deserves it - you know what you will get from him each week and it is first class. But when Carty was asked about him yesterday he said "why is everyone talking about one player when we have 12 off contract this year?" wake up and read the forums and open your ears - he may only have a couple of years left in him but he is the best rake around.
    For the second year now? Pull your head in. His four games this year have been rubbish, but for the previous 2 seasons he has been the best in the comp. The Titans got back to back top 4 finishes with Prince's dominance at #7. He had the Titans top of the tables for all stats relating to a halfbacks role. For the last two years there was more newspaper coverage over revolt for Prince not getting rep selection due to other coaches picking old favorites.

All of the best players go through form dips- Lockyer, Cronk and Thurston included. You can kick them while they are down, but that's about all you can do as a spectator. Before the year is out, Prince will have you all eating humble pie. Mark my words, these posts will be brought up in another thread in due time. Nothing more motivating than a bunch of 'back seat drivers' telling you that you are no good and can't do it. And there's nothing more satisfying than rubbing it in the faces of your critics when you get your form back

As for Cartwright, there is only one coach who has won more games than him in the last two years, and that is 'Supercoach' Wayne Bennett. Broncos went on plenty of losing streaks with him at the helm as well. And better coaches have lost bigger games, Bellemy's $6.5M Storm side lost a GF by 40-0. Add to that his dismal origin record - anyone would think the prick can't coach
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by redwine10 View Post
    At last!!!!!

I agree with alot of points you raise here, signing Carty till 2016 was way premature, that's alot of wedge we have to hand out if he does leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    For the second year now? Pull your head in. His four games this year have been rubbish, but for the previous 2 seasons he has been the best in the comp. The Titans got back to back top 4 finishes with Prince's dominance at #7. He had the Titans top of the tables for all stats relating to a halfbacks role. For the last two years there was more newspaper coverage over revolt for Prince not getting rep selection due to other coaches picking old favorites.

All of the best players go through form dips- Lockyer, Cronk and Thurston included. You can kick them while they are down, but that's about all you can do as a spectator. Before the year is out, Prince will have you all eating humble pie. Mark my words, these posts will be brought up in another thread in due time. Nothing more motivating than a bunch of 'back seat drivers' telling you that you are no good and can't do it. And there's nothing more satisfying than rubbing it in the faces of your critics when you get your form back

As for Cartwright, there is only one coach who has won more games than him in the last two years, and that is 'Supercoach' Wayne Bennett. Broncos went on plenty of losing streaks with him at the helm as well. And better coaches have lost bigger games, Bellemy's $6.5M Storm side lost a GF by 40-0. Add to that his dismal origin record - anyone would think the prick can't coach
    Mate we have signed him till 2016, he shouldn't be judged on his previous 2 years, it should be here and now. ATM he is 1 and 4, he is incapable of coaching any discipline into the side and to add to that it doesn't seem like the players are responding to him.

At the press conference last night did he mention our dismal we were once again or rAther how good the Cowboys were.

And I'm sure he had something to do with the purchase of Riley Brown whom is probably the least capable hooker in the NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by moorey06 View Post
    I agree with alot of points you raise here, signing Carty till 2016 was way premature, that's alot of wedge we have to hand out if he does leave.

Mate we have signed him till 2016, he shouldn't be judged on his previous 2 years, it should be here and now. ATM he is 1 and 4, he is incapable of coaching any discipline into the side and to add to that it doesn't seem like the players are responding to him.

At the press conference last night did he mention our dismal we were once again or rAther how good the Cowboys were.

And I'm sure he had something to do with the purchase of Riley Brown whom is probably the least capable hooker in the NRL.
    At least we know who our coach is gonna be for the next 5yrs, rather than most other clubs over the years who are destabilized over constant speculation on who & when their next coach is gonna be.

He has won more games than any other coach (bar Wayne) in the last two years, yet you want him judged on the teams results of first 5 rounds this season? - Talk about pre-mature

If every club took your method in signing their coaches - how many coaches wold stay in a club more than 12mths?

Manly were only one win better off at this stage in 2008 and were copping the same flack the Titans are now. They went on to win the GF 40-0. Their critics had a lot to swallow a lot after that one - I hope you, redwine10 and others alike are hungry when the Titans inevitably turn their season around. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Banned

im still backing my pre season prediction of titans at 6th spot, i have a weird feeling its gonna be a dragons-broncos GF though because of lockyer retiring and dragons being reigning premiers that look like they could repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    At least we know who our coach is gonna be for the next 5yrs, rather than most other clubs over the years who are destabilized over constant speculation on who & when their next coach is gonna be.

He has won more games than any other coach (bar Wayne) in the last two years, yet you want him judged on the teams results of first 5 rounds this season? - Talk about pre-mature

If every club took your method in signing their coaches - how many coaches wold stay in a club more than 12mths?

Manly were only one win better off at this stage in 2008 and were copping the same flack the Titans are now. They went on to win the GF 40-0. Their critics had a lot to swallow a lot after that one - I hope you, redwine10 and others alike are hungry when the Titans inevitably turn their season around. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    So let me get this straight if we get the wooden spoon this year you will be happy because Cartwright has won more games then most coaches in the last two years? You can't live on history forever mate. I'm sure we can turn it around too I just think the length of the contract was 2 years too many.

Also as paying fans everyone is entitled to there opinion be it negative or positive. And in my opinion after our finish last year ud think our recruitment would have been alot stronger...it wasn't and look where we are. Tigers next week too. Dunno about you but playing catch up football is not what I thought we would be doing this season after where we finished lady season.