Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Preston Campbell set to give Titans edge off bench against Dragons

AN EXCITED Preston Campbell looms as the Gold Coast's X-factor in tonight's NRL premiership opener against St George Illawarra at Skilled Park.

Campbell, who considered retirement last year, has been reborn and rejuvenated as an impact bench player this season.

The livewire's spark is sure to ignite the Titans in a match otherwise shaping as an old-fashioned forwards dogfight.

Both teams boast formidable packs, but in the back end of each half is where super-sub Campbell could come in to his own.

"I don't know about being called a super sub, but I will be trying to get out there and give the guys a bit of a buzz," he said.

"They have a lot of big forwards and a lot of their boys are going to be getting a bit tired towards the end of the halves.

"Hopefully that's where I can make a difference."

Campbell, who impressed from the bench in pre-season trials, can comfortably cover most spots in the backline and is no stranger to the dummy half role.

He has filled that role for NSW Country and at times for Cronulla during his time at the Sharks.

Coach John Cartwright said he was excited about the possibilities of injecting Campbell into the fray mid-match.

"I am excited about what he can offer us but, more importantly, Presto is excited himself," he said.

"He's got a real extra spring in his step. He's been buzzing at training and that gets everyone else excited."

Cartwright also said he was not buying into any talk of the Dragons being ripe for the picking after the world club champions' flight back from Europe last week and the off-season loss of enforcers Jeremy Smith and Neville Costigan.

"They've still got their core group together," Cartwright said.

"And it doesn't seem to matter who is in and who is out, they always turn up."

Mark Minichiello was named on a five-man bench for the Titans but will not play tonight after a fitness test yesterday on his troublesome groin.

He underwent surgery in the off season but will be an almost certain starter next week.

A crowd of more than 25,000 is expected for tonight's match between two of the competition favourites.

http://www.couriermail.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Dragons forward Dean Young says side can't afford to be complacent

DRAGONS forward Dean Young has warned his teammates they risk being left behind the pack if they sit and bask in the glory of their six-month span that produced a treble of trophies.

St George Illawarra collected the JJ Giltinan Shield on their way to winning the Telstra premiership last year, and added the World Club Challenge trophy last month.

The Dragons are $5.50 favourites to win back-to-back NRL titles but Young has warned recent history shows that even producing back-to-back top-four finishes has been a difficult ask.

"Everyone starts from scratch now," he said.

"It's pretty good to get the treble of trophies. It's a great effort of the whole club.

"But it starts again now and we've got to try to get off to a good start because that's what's been successful for us the past two years.

"If you look at 2009, of the sides that finished in the top four, we were the only ones left last year," he said.

"I know there was the thing with Melbourne, but Brisbane missed the eight, the Bulldogs missed the eight and Parramatta missed the eight. The way the salary cap is, it's a dead-set lottery. Everyone comes out and says they've had the best pre-season and they're stronger, faster, fitter ... and they probably are."

The Dragons, Penrith, Wests Tigers and tonight's opponents the Gold Coast filled the top-four placings last year and the Titans will be looking to continue a solid record against the premiers.

The Gold Coast have won two of the past three clashes between the teams, the last a thrilling 11-10 victory at WIN Jubilee Stadium last season.

But they head into the first-round match significantly weakened - with forwards Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Friend and Mark Minichiello all sitting out injured.

But Dragons captain Ben Hornby has warned the Titans will still be a force to be reckoned with, tipping it will be hard to break down a defence that he describes as under-rated. With off-season dramas dominating the build-up to the new season, Hornby said he was looking forward to helping shift the focus back on to the park.

"All the things happening off the field are hopefully staying there now," he said.

"We'd like to go out there as players - not just in our game but every game - and put on a good show."

Hornby insists the Dragons head into their NRL season-opener as hungry as ever for premiership glory despite ending their long wait for a title.

The red and whites open their premiership defence at Skilled Park tonight, the first of four consecutive away games as Wollongong's WIN Stadium undergoes a re-development. While there is an obvious sense of relief among Wayne Bennett's men after shedding their "chokers" tag in last year's grand final, Hornby insists the Dragons won't have have any problems maintaining the same level of desire.

"I think whether you're the champions or not, as a team you want to go into each year and try to improve," Hornby said. "I think the pressure's always the same. Every team wants to do well and wants to start the season well so we want to go up there and play as best we can."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Game day is here - now to pick up merchandise this morning and be ready to cheer loud and proud tonight - can't wait!

Partnership will take time: Prince
    By Wayne Heming AAPFri, Mar 11, 2011 - 6:39 PM

Halfback Scott Prince is excited to be linking with new Gold Coast No.6 Luke Capewell while coach John Cartwright can't wait for Preston Campbell to ignite his new super-sub role against NRL titleholders St George Illawarra at Skilled Park on Saturday night.

Cartwright was feeling good on Friday with the evergreen Campbell bouncing around like a rookie rather than a 33-year-old veteran two games shy of his 250th NRL appearance.

"I'm excited about it (Campbell off the bench) but he's more excited which is the most important thing," said Cartwright after the team's final training hit-out on Friday morning.

"Everyone can tell when Preston's in the groove, he has an extra spring in his step and he's the last to leave training.

"Look at him, he's still out there now trying to kick goals from halfway.

"When he's buzzing around, it rubs off on everyone."

Dragons playmaker Ben Hornby said alarm bells would sound when Campbell entered the game.

"It's one of those things, he's going to be very dangerous and fresh when he comes on so it's something we're going to have to be wary of to make sure he has a limited impact," said Hornby.

The Dragons, who are coming off a premiership-world club challenge double, have been the benchmark for the past two seasons under coach Wayne Bennett, who has helped the players believe in themselves more.

"It does a lot for your belief and your trust in each other but at the end of the day you've still got to go out there and perform and work hard for each other otherwise the belief is not going to come into it," said Hornby.

Cartwright dismissed suggestions the Dragons would lack fire after losing enforcers Jeremy Smith and Neville Costigan.

"They've got their core together, (Darius) Boyd, (Ben) Hornby (Jamie) Soward and (Nathan) Fien, that hasn't changed and they've got some good go-forward with (Michael) Weyman along with probably as good a back-row as anyone in the comp," he said.

"I wouldn't think they've lost too much."

Prince, meanwhile, has no complaints about Capewell winning the key No.6 job, although he cautioned it would take a little while before they combined fluently.

"He's very classy on his feet and very quick off the mark as well," said Prince.

"I thought he played really well through our trial games and the coaching staff obviously thought he did enough to get the five-eighth position.

"I'm happy for him to be in the No.6."

Prince said the Dragons were the NRL measuring stick because they'd been the most consistent team for the past seasons.

"They're not the premiers and world club champions for nothing," he said.

"They do the simple things well and they make you work hard for a win.

"What better way for us to start 2011 than up against the world champs."

Shellharbour junior Matt Cooper, one of the toughest centres in the game, celebrates his 200th game for the Dragons in what will be a special night, 11 years after making his debut for against Cronulla in round one of 2000.

"I'm pretty proud of the figure," said Cooper, who burst through the 100-try barrier late last season
    #itaintweaktospeak

Game Day is here & the long wait is over , 11 hours till kick off

Looks like a wet day ahead as it's pouring down here now so lets hope it helps put the Dragons Flames out

Bodene Man of the Match
    #itaintweaktospeak

Carty issues challenge to Thompson
    Jake Dew | March 12th, 2011

JOHN Cartwright has backed Bodene Thompson to become a regular starter in the Titans pack after declaring the position was "his to lose" ahead of tonight's season opener against premiers St George Illawarra.

Thompson will pack down alongside Greg Bird and Ashley Harrison in the backrow tonight and Cartwright was yesterday confident the emerging Kiwi talent would become a key component in their make-up this season.

A graduate of the Titans' Toyota Cup system, Thompson became a key contributor with 17 appearances last season but the coach expects more from the 22-year-old after an impressive off-season and trial form.

"(Bodene's) one of those young fellows who has been in our system since he was 16 or 17," Cartwright said.

"He's been very fortunate that he has such a good-quality group around to learn from (but) it's going to take a lot to shift him from the starting spot.

"He was pushing all last year and he has an opportunity now and it's up to him to hold it."

Cartwright said giving a young player with so much promise a start was one of the joys of his job.

"Any time you give a guy an opportunity to start, you remember yourself what it was like and you know the thrill they feel," he said.

"It's exciting to be in that first 17, no matter how young or how old you are. It's the start of a new season and we have a great opportunity playing against the best league side in the world, so there's a lot to smile about."

While the challenge for Thompson is staving off his teammates, he can expect a fight with Mark Minichiello (groin) and Anthony Laffranchi (shoulder and wrist) expected back in the coming weeks.

But with Thompson's ruthless style winning widespread praise, including rugby league immortal Wally Lewis, unseating him will be tough.

Skipper Scott Prince said he had high expectations for all the young bucks now becoming regular fixtures in the Titans line-up.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Finally! It's been such a long wait and what better way to start the season than beating the drags again. I'm looking forward to seeing Presto as the impact player

1ST Try Scorer - Mead
    Last Try Scorer - Presto
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
    Game day is here - now to pick up merchandise this morning and be ready to cheer loud and proud tonight - can't wait!
    I'll have some merch for you when i see you, a massive banner to spread the word!

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I'll have some merch for you when i see you, a massive banner to spread the word!
    Looking forward to it! Can't miss us in our Titans Legion Nighties - freaking hell the shirts are huge!!!!!! Oh well - gotta wear the blue! So excited about it all right now = can't wait!

Junior Titan

No links to illegal streams please.

P.S. Go Titans!
    Last edited by Boofhead; 12-03-11 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Illegal Stream

ooooooo i think im gonna wet myself
    walkin out door in 10 mins to catch the train
    all decked out with my new titans merch
    GO TITANS...GO TITANS...GO TITANS GO
    Get up and play the ball ya sook

Banned

titans by 1 point after losing by 4 at the break and coming back strong ala koograh 2010

Titans forward pack to man handle the drag queens, Titans back line to pile on the points.

I put down my lunch money.
    The more they win by, the more I get back:

Titans 1-12, $20 @ $4
    Titans 12-18, $20 @ $9
    Titans +19, $20 @ $11

The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Titans forward pack to man handle the drag queens, Titans back line to pile on the points.

I put down my lunch money.
    The more they win by, the more I get back:

Titans 1-12, $20 @ $4
    Titans 12-18, $20 @ $9
    Titans +19, $20 @ $11

kicking game was sub par, capewell looks like a back playing 5/8, campbell was much better at 9 than brown, tagatese was fantastic and he needs to be there next week, and finally referee turned the tide for the worst with getting in the way of zillman i like how we are finally starting to throw the ball around and take risks and throw offloads and long pass set pieces. i think we should try some scrum kicks for mead and gordan and not let bird have the ball on the 4thg and 5th because he seems to only hit it up instead of passing hen somethings on