Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Come on Pete and Wade. I love you both and hate to see you clash swords.

Although I don't believe the noise arguement. I believe noise should be measured in decibels.

But I give much credit to the GCU fans.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 20-12-10 at 03:02 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

a-league is rubbish compared to the epl and because of stupid salary cap we cant ever get a wayne rooney or a torres or someone good. a-league is the cure for people with insomnia, save your money and time for combat sports,rugby league and rugby union and basketball is pretty good.

Well a big issue for soccer, is many soccer fans do actually attack the quality of the A-League. So it's like a big wedge, a battle on two fronts.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Well a big issue for soccer, is many soccer fans do actually attack the quality of the A-League. So it's like a big wedge, a battle on two fronts.
    right, noone wants to pay or even not to pay to watch bad quality games. its like if we had the american nrl instead of our our nrl noone would enjoy watching the matches because the games are bad quality and lopsided.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    This part.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelwall View Post
    rained and got called of after 20 mins :|

OK. You obviously don't like soccer (or Palmer). Either which one no matter, I don't have a problem with that. Each to their own.

I am a sports nut and follow most codes that use a ball. There are exceptions but I don't go out of my way to bag any particular code that doesn't tickle my fancy. Most people have an issue with GCU because of what Palmer said at the beginning of last season. I can understand that. I know for a fact he lost some potential Titans supporters (except Paul..but I digress)...I was a season member last year but I purchased my membership before Palmer mouthed off. I did not renew this season. However, I do feel sorry for the players (and diehard supporters) as they play in front of less than 2000 people each home game. This is not their fault and they deserve better. I kept saying to myself I would go to a game this season but I never got around to it until the freebies were offered. I didn't even chase them up, a mate did. So I went to the game and watched for 20 minutes, as did the Northern NSW people who travelled up the coast with their families. As did the people north of the Gold Coast who travelled down to the game. As did the Central Coast supporters who travelled from Gosford and the surrounding areas to come to the game and who would have had to have the Monday off so have taken annual leave or had a sickie at some cost to themselves. And then there is the Caterers and the food and what would have been thrown due to the early end to preceedings at a cost to the catering firm. The fact that staff who expected to be paid for 'X' amount of hours and who have bills to pay just like you and me have missed out on vital wages. ....

Yeah......It's hilarious.

guys you need to have a look at wat you are actually saying ... the a league is actually quite a good standard if u have ever watched a game against an aussie team vs a usa team .. ( usa have no salary cap ) who also have the likes of david beckam and Thierry henry( ****nals greatest ever player ) you would see that it is quite high for such a new competition. i personally flew to sydney to watch LA galaxy vs Sydney FC a couple of years ago and sydney won and was quite a good game to watch ..... yes we may not have the likes of some of the big name epl stars but have you ever thought about local aussies ... the comment on the standard of the a league is bull**** as i have watched quite a few games lately and have seen some very impressive play ( and quite alot of good goals ) maybe stop bagging our local club and support it , might help draw bigger crowds

As a sports fan, it pains me to see a potential support winner like this be ruined by something like weather. If the sun was out, I bet 20000+ would have turned up and it would have been a major boost for GCU. Unfortunately, it pissed down and the ground wasn't up to scratch. Good on Clive Palmer for trying though.

You can't compare the A-League to the EPL. That is like comparing QLD Cup reserve grade to the NRL. The EPL is one of the biggest sporting competitions in the world, worth billions of dollars and watched by millions around the world. The A-League is a new Australian based competition in a country where soccer isn't top dog. Of course the quality isn't going to be as high. When I go to watch my local league team play, the quality isn't NRL standard, but I don't stop going because of that. Why should this have a bearing on soccer supporters going to support their A-League team?

Also I have read that their is talk of a FFA Knockout Cup competition that would include not only A-League clubs, but clubs competing in the various State leagues around the country. Something like this could really ignite some interest in soccer, especially with the potential of fairytale teams winning against the odds. I would most definately head to a game if the Brisbane Roar were playing against the Sunshine Coast Fire at Suncorp Stadium.

Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    As a sports fan, it pains me to see a potential support winner like this be ruined by something like weather. If the sun was out, I bet 20000+ would have turned up and it would have been a major boost for GCU. Unfortunately, it pissed down and the ground wasn't up to scratch. Good on Clive Palmer for trying though.

You can't compare the A-League to the EPL. That is like comparing QLD Cup reserve grade to the NRL. The EPL is one of the biggest sporting competitions in the world, worth billions of dollars and watched by millions around the world. The A-League is a new Australian based competition in a country where soccer isn't top dog. Of course the quality isn't going to be as high. When I go to watch my local league team play, the quality isn't NRL standard, but I don't stop going because of that. Why should this have a bearing on soccer supporters going to support their A-League team?

Also I have read that their is talk of a FFA Knockout Cup competition that would include not only A-League clubs, but clubs competing in the various State leagues around the country. Something like this could really ignite some interest in soccer, especially with the potential of fairytale teams winning against the odds. I would most definately head to a game if the Brisbane Roar were playing against the Sunshine Coast Fire at Suncorp Stadium.
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!