Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast United Free Entry

The Clive Palmer Super team are in desperate need of an audience & have decided to give tickets away in hope of cracking a 2000 + entry into Skilled Park

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows...p=EGCU0000011K

Tickets are free just pay $1 Ticketek charge.
    …Anything to get people through the gate.

Good to see Ticketek are making a $1
    #itaintweaktospeak

This reminds me of when the pooR South Queeensland Crushers threw open the gates back in 1997.

Even if people do show up they need strategies to keep them.

This is also probably to avoid achieving the lowest ever A League crowd.

We will have to see what happens but generally giving away something free lowers the value of your product and punters will see it as worthless.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I bought a few... Who cares if I end up going or not.

I might buy a few and raffle them off
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Nothing but a joke... Will be lucky to get in 10,000. I read a comment on goldcoast.com.au today. If you cant even get more then half a basketball crowd, its time to pull the plug. R.I.P gcu
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    Nothing but a joke... Will be lucky to get in 10,000. I read a comment on goldcoast.com.au today. If you cant even get more then half a basketball crowd, its time to pull the plug. R.I.P gcu
    Yea I read that comment as well. Well done to the Blaze, with all the new teams coming to the Coast, I think most critics ranked Blaze last.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

1,716 - GCU vs Wellington crowd.

Clive Palmer offers more cheap tickets

GOLD Coast owner Clive Palmer has decided to knock $5 off the price of tickets for the club's next home game for any fan who wants a double dose of United after Sunday's open house at Skilled Park.

After giving away free tickets and watching them fly out the door, Palmer revealed he would offer another incentive to get people back through the gates when United host Perth on January 3.

Anyone who attends Sunday's clash with Central Coast can present their ticket in just over a fortnight's time to get another financial break.

After passing the magical 20,000 ticket barrier yesterday, Palmer has now set his sights on a capacity 27,500 crowd this weekend.

``Bring your tickets along from this game and get a discount for the next one,'' he said.

``I think we have done everything we can to inspire people and show them how good the game is.

``So it is up to them now to meet the challenge.''

Palmer revealed the free ticket initiative had cost him $250,000.

But it appears to be money well spent with United set to smash its previous A-League record home crowd of 10,024 against Brisbane Roar on Boxing Day last year.

The largest crowd figure ever recorded by United at Skilled Park 10,336 against English Premier League outfit Fulham during the 2009-10 pre-season will also be bettered.

United have this season been rocked by record low gates, including an all-time A-League low of 1658 against Melbourne Heart earlier this month.

United's average gate at Skilled Park has dipped from 5392 the lowest in the competition last season to a lamentable 2812 in 2010-2011.
    ``You have got to remember that even times when we had low crowds, pro rata wise, we had more people attending here than there was in Melbourne,'' Palmer said.

``Our form has been pretty good this year and I think we are a real chance to win if we can keep our best team on the field.
    ``We have got a very good team this Sunday.''

Palmer urged the Gold Coast to get behind the United players.

``Fans should know and appreciate that for the last 18 months our team of A-League players has fought really hard to uphold the highest standards of sportsmanship for the Gold Coast and to represent the people of the Gold Coast on a national level.
    ``They have also done that internationally.

``They have beaten the national side of New Caledonia twice, the national Singapore team and the national Hong Kong team all while wearing Gold Coast colours.

``It is about time the people of the Gold coast woke up and realised this has been a one sided love affair.

``They should give back to the players, who regardless of me or the club, have represented them so well and fought so hard for the Gold Coast reputation.''

Q & A with Clive Palmer

Q.
    Fans have snapped up these free tickets at a pretty impressive rate. Has this initiative proven to you the support is there for a Gold Coast soccer team?

A.
    What it demonstrates is that the Gold Coast have been on hard times and people can't afford it, it is not that they don't want to go. There is not much we can do about that unless we get a cheaper stadium. The State Government really should take the lead there. They need to bite the bullet and bring down the price.

Q.
    Do you think for United's sake, and the Gold Coast Titans' for that matter, something must be done by the Government about the stadium costs to ensure the long-term future of the clubs?
    A.
    The community has already paid for the stadium through their taxes. The stadium is the major component stopping Gold Coast sport competing professionally at an international level. That is a great indictment on the State Government. They should really be giving it to the clubs for something like $5 a ticket and throw all these other plans out the window.

Q.
    From a standard $25 ticket, how much would the club get?

A.
    Well, nothing really. If you just looked at stadium costs alone, traffic costs and booking costs, it would be less than $5. So far we haven't made any profit on tickets.

Q.
    I have been told it takes a fully paying crowd of 15,000 just to break even on stadium costs, is this accurate?

A.
    If you had the stadium completely open, yes, that would be about right. In other words, we can make more money with 4500 fans paying under a 5000 stadium cap than 10,000-12,000 with it all open.

Q.
    A popular misconception among the general public is that the club also drives food and beverage prices at the ground. How much money does the club obtain from this?

A.
    We get a small royalty, something like 5 or 10 per cent. All the rest goes to the vendors. We have no control over prices.

Q.
    At any stage have you thought about spending your own money to upgrade another Gold Coast venue, say the Southport Tigers, and making that your home ground?

A.
    The problem is you have to have a broadcast-quality facility for Foxtel. I don't think that would classify as that. But the stadium is a real issue. Even when we had the cap on at 5000, we never turned anyone away. It would have been crazy not to have the cap on and be paying $140,000 for empty seats.

Q.
    There has been a lot of speculation over the long-term viability of the club, can you give fans a guarantee that United is not going anywhere?

A.
    United is a Gold Coast club, so it is not as if we are going to go to Brisbane. It is all scuttlebutt and we are concentrating on trying to win the A-League. We haven't planned for next year yet.

But we won't get that until after the New Year when the transfer window opens and we look at what players we need to retain.

Q.
    The club has copped a lot of criticism for not interacting with the community enough. What is your response to that?

A.
    That is just rubbish. Everyday we are out interacting with the community. We played at all the local soccer clubs prior to the season starting, our players visit hospitals and shopping centres, they go to schools to visit the kids. That was something originally said by FFA last year as an excuse. But the players themselves, with the people who do come to the games, are very popular. We can say all these things but the real issue is about how much money it costs to go to a game. Put it this way, we have got good numbers now when it is free and no one is saying we are not interacting with the community. Everyone is happy to come now.

Q.
    Do you have faith that this initiative will kick start crowd numbers and start drawing more people to games?

A.
    Yes, that is what we are looking at.

Q.
    What would be your target for the next game when people have to start paying again?

A.
    We will see what happens. What we would hope to have is number around 5000-6000 every week. Below that and you would have to really ask yourself is the Gold Coast the right place for a club?

Q.
    Is that a decision you could be making as early as the end of this season if things are not improved?

A.
    We would have to look at that hypothetically and the answer is I don't know. At some stage you would have to, you can't go on forever. Nobody would.

Q.
    What is the one message you want fans and the people of the Gold Coast to know ahead of Sunday's game?

A.
    They should know and appreciate that for the last 18 months, our team of A-League players has fought really hard to uphold the highest standards of sportsmanship for the Gold Coast and to represent the people of the Gold Coast on a national level. They have also done that internationally. They have beaten the national side of New Caledonia twice, the national Singapore team and the national Hong Kong team all while wearing Gold Coast colours. It is about time the people of the Gold Coast woke up and realised this has been a one-sided love affair. They should give back to the players, who regardless of me or the club, have represented them so well and fought so hard for the Gold Coast reputation.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

lol they won't get a capacity crowd. lol

Crowds are very hard to come by. Especially when you try and aim for big milestones of 20k+ and capacity.

The weather isn't looking good either. And that is a problem when people with free tickets don't have much... any investment in the ticket and will bail very easily.

Althought I do agree, with the limited knowledge i have, that the stadium is too expensive for it's tenants. Lower costs would certainly boos the profits of the Titans and the levels of our crowds. I just hope that the AFL get a smiliar deal at Cararra, I'm a bit sus as Ive heard that they have been given stadium management rights, thus can profit of renting it out to other sports and activities.

Above all I want a level playing field for all sports on the Gold Coast.

there were 18000 + sold the other day when i looked

Quote Originally Posted by thelwall View Post
    there were 18000 + sold the other day when i looked
    "sold" ......................

quite true im just stating that there having been ova 18000 tickets sold ... yes i know that out of that 18000 you would have to be stupid to think that anything close to that figure would be there

Yea just a passing comment, not trying to be fussy with you mate. Just repeating a comment I have read a few times on http://www.theroar.com.au

Pretty good site to keep up to date on all sport.

haha yer got ya bud ... haha ill actually be there