Default Preston Campbell to play on in 2011

Gold Coast Titans star Preston Campbell to play on in 2011
    Jeremy Pierce
    The Courier-Mail
    November 03, 2010
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1225947329488

INSPIRATIONAL Gold Coast Titans star Preston Campbell will play on next season.

During this year's finals campaign, the diminutive star hinted that he might pull the plug on his illustrious career, but speaking this morning at the launch of next year's Indigenous All Stars game at Robina, Campbell said his body felt refreshed and ready for the rigours of another NRL season.

The 33-year-old said he had already spoken to coach John Cartwright about some tactical changes to his play, including the possibility of coming off the bench, to extend his career, which started with the Gold Coast Chargers back in 1998.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

The 33-year-old said he had already spoken to coach John Cartwright about some tactical changes to his play, including the possibility of coming off the bench, to extend his career.
    I like this.

Super-sub Campbell to play on
    Posted November 3, 2010 17:41:00

Sticking around ... Preston Campbell

A plan to convert Preston Campbell into a super-sub will see the veteran Titans full-back shun thoughts of retirement and play on in 2011.

And Campbell, excited about "catapulting" himself into a 14th season with a return to the Indigenous All-Stars in February, believes the move could even see him go around again in 2012.

The 33-year-old livewire had suggested his body was struggling to cope with the rigours of the game after the Gold Coast was knocked out of the finals by the Sydney Roosters.

But after being encouraged to stick around by Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright, Campbell believes he will thrive in a new interchange role which would allow speedster William Zillman to take over at full-back.

The 167-centimetre, 75-kilogram dynamo - who can play half-back, five-eighth and hooker as well as number one - also says his war wounds have recovered much faster than expected.

"It (the body) is healing a lot quicker than what I thought, this time last year I was a mess," he said.

"I will come off the bench a lot more next season, which I'm very happy with.

"It's going to give me a chance to prolong my career, I could even go on again the next season. (But) we'll get through this season first.

"It will mix it up and throw it up to opposition teams who won't know where I'll be playing."

The architect of the All-Stars concept, Campbell was honoured to have his hand print, appearing alongside those of Aboriginal greats Arthur Beetson and Lionel Morgan, on the new Indigenous jersey for the February 12 clash.

Morgan was the first Indigenous man to play Test rugby league while Immortal Beetson was the first to captain Australia.

The largely bronze-coloured jersey, designed by former Broncos and Penrith utility Sid Domic, also features boomerangs shaped as a V under the collar.

"It's very humbling and a little bit embarrassing as well," Campbell said.

"But to have my hand print on there, I'm very proud of that.

"Artie was a bit embarrassed that a smaller bloke had a bigger hand print.

"I'm hoping this All-Stars game will be a bit of a catapult to go into the season."

Already more than 20,000 tickets have been sold for the NRL season-opener, the second annual All-Stars clash at Skilled Park.

Campbell had rated the inaugural match, won the by his Indigenous side, as a highlight of his career.

"I did say the first game would be hard to top and I will stick to that, but we did have the likes of Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges pull out (injured), while Billy Slater pulled out at the last minute and Dave Taylor," he said.

"These guys are superstars of the game so if we can get those boys on board it will definitely equal it this season."

-AAP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...on=rugbyleague

Fantastic news! I'm so happy to have Preston on board for another year. Hopefully we can offer him a Premiership in 2011.

He is a living legend of the game, so it is a sheer pleasure to watch him play. He is the type of player we will be talking about for generations.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

great news, his experience will be invaluable

Brilliant news & i love the way he said he may still go around 2012 ..

Super Sub
    #itaintweaktospeak

Great news! Best impact player we could hope for.