Default Titans Tongia to do PNG proud

Tongia to do PNG proud

FOURTEEN years after winning a bet against the then Papua New Guinea Prime Minister, Julius Chan, local Ryan Tongia will represent his beloved PNG in the Four Nations tournament.

The 20-year-old, whose parents are of PNG decent, is likely to play fullback for the Kumuls against Australia at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

While Tongia is destined for a long and fruitful career in the National Rugby League, he felt he owed something to the PNG people after taking money from their former leader.

?There was one game back when I was a junior that my mum's uncle, who was the Prime Minister of PNG, came down to watch me play,? Tongia recalled.

?He said he'd give me $50 if I scored seven tries and I scored nine.?

Tongia has come a long way since he was a six-year-old sprinting in try after try for Logan City Scorpions at Meakin Park.

Raised in Kingston and Waterford, Tongia played 20 games and scored 18 tries for the Gold Coast Titans in the National Youth Competition this year, including a four-try haul against Manly in round 14.

Another promising product from the Logan Brothers club, Tongia was ecstatic at the chance to represent PNG.

?I'm very honoured,? he said.

?I've always wanted to represent the country of where my roots are.

?The people over there are so passionate about rugby league, it's such an honour to help fly the country's flag in such a big sport.?

Tongia, a father to 16-month-old Makaio, has yet to play in first grade, but he isn't expecting the Kangaroos playmakers to show any mercy come this Sunday.

He will no doubt be heavily targeted by the high ball, but Tongia said he was up for the challenge.

?All I can control is my own game and what I can control is if a kick comes my way, it's my job to catch it. I have no time to think about anything else,? he said.

?I'm not daunted by the challenge, I think I've gone through it (the game) a hundred times in my head, I just haven't physically played it yet.?

http://www.thereporter.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I 'm looking forward to seeing him at Parramatta Stadium next Sunday. Good luck during the Four Nations Ryan!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

you mean now trhe sharks tongia sigh

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    Yea it is a big loss. But he is still a Titans as far as I am concerned until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post

I hope Ryan goes well at fullback, he is going to be under massive pressure for the entire tournament. IMO the Kumuls team is severely under strength because of knuckle head management refusing to pick Aussie Kumuls.

If Ryan does the simple things well and cut out the mistakes it will raise his chances of getting a Sharks 1st grade spot next year.

bloody sharks.
    another reason y to hate the shire

Not the Sharks fault - Titans never offered Tongia any money to stay on, not even to train with 1st Grade in the off season. The best Titans could do is for him to train with Q Cup