Default New Zealand v England , 4 Nations Opener

Luke benched as Kearney tweaks Kiwis

AAP Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:20:30
    New Zealand rugby league coach Stephen Kearney has dropped hooker Issac Luke to the bench for the vital Four Nations opener against England in Wellington on Saturday night.

In a shift to the formula which proved so successful during the Kiwis' run to the 2008 World Cup, Kearney has named Thomas Leuluai at hooker and St George Illawarra utility Nathan Fien at halfback alongside skipper Benji Marshall.

It was assumed Luke, who emerged as one of the best dummy-half's in the NRL this year with South Sydney, would wear the No.9 for the Kiwis as the host nation looked to rebound from last year's disappointing Four Nations campaign.

But instead Kearney opted for his World Cup-winning triumvirate in one of several personnel changes to the side which beat Samoa 50-6 in Auckland last weekend.

Sydney Roosters forward Frank-Paul Nuuausala was named on an extended six-man bench, while Simon Mannering will start in the back row ahead of Canterbury-bound forward Frank Pritchard.

"It was difficult to pick our 23-man squad for the Four Nations in the first place and it has been really tough selecting this side to play England," Kearney said.

"At the same time, it's a nice challenge to have. We have lots of players pushing for places, which is the way you want it to be."

The Wellington clash is set to play a huge part in determining the Four Nations fate of both sides, with the winner of that clash in the box seat for a berth in the November 13 final in Brisbane.

Team:

NZ: Lance Hohaia, Jason Nightingale, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Junior Sa'u, Manu Vatuvei, Benji Marshall (capt), Nathan Fien, Greg Eastwood, Thomas Leuluai, Adam Blair, Simon Mannering, Bronson Harrison, Jeremy Smith.

Interchange: Issac Luke, Ben Matulino, Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Frank Pritchard, Sika Manu, Sam Perrett
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Team:

NZ: Lance Hohaia, Jason Nightingale, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Junior Sa'u, Manu Vatuvei, Benji Marshall (capt), Nathan Fien, Greg Eastwood, Thomas Leuluai, Adam Blair, Simon Mannering, Bronson Harrison, Jeremy Smith.

Interchange: Issac Luke, Ben Matulino, Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Frank Pritchard, Sika Manu, Sam Perrett
    That is a very strong side ............ i for one am glad that Footy is back already
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yea Pete not only is it back but it is part of the year that I look forward to.

It is a very strong team, very strong indeed. I think they will be trouble for the Aussies and England will probably be dismantled by them. But England are still a threat with their strong pack if they throw it around and chance their arm.

I look forward to seeing England in Melbourne. And watching this game on TV on Saturday to kick off the Four Nations. The next day I will travel down to Sydney for the Kangaroos vs PNG game.

But with the Kiwis, I wouldn't bench Luke. But maybe they want him as an impact player once the game settles, which will work.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Remove Perret & Matulino from that side and it's looking pretty good for mine.

Would have been great to see Moi Moi in black and white.

But the Kiwis usually get cruelled by injuries, so so far in 2010 they aren't going too bad. To have Marshall, Manu and Luke on deck.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

i think weare in bad shape for this year, bennett and bellamy are on the nz coaching staff, we are killed with injuries and bad selections, but nz should have picked bodene on the bench

We are certainly being brought back to the field. Even though our replacements are first class.

4mins gone kiwis try sua
    4-0

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

16mins marshall penalty
    6-0 kiwis

FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

33mins try hohia goal marshall
    kiwis 12-0