Bodene charges into representative footy
jason sintome

Earmarked as a potential star of the future by Titans Coach John Cartwright during his time in the clubs development squads, Bodene made his first grade debut in a mid season clash against Newcastle in 2009, the energetic back rower going immediately signaling that he would proudly wear the Titans strip for many years to come with a solid performance.

Thompson was the breakout player for the Titans this season, quickly establishing himself as a regular first grade player, crossing for six tries in a season which saw the Titans progress further into finals footy than any other Gold Coast franchise.

?It was a great year for me personally, playing alongside and learning from stars of the game like Harrison, Laffranchi and Minichiello was the best introduction to first grade footy that a young bloke could have.?
Thompson thought that he had capped off his season when he was crowned Titans rookie of the year at the clubs Paul Broughton medal presentation evening, however just a few hours later he was flying off across the ditch with Titans team mate Clinton Toopi after being named in the New Zealand Maori side to play England in a warm up to the four Nations tournament.

?Toops has been such a great mentor for me here at the club and it?s great to see that such a star of the game is still so dedicated to his training and preparation. To be named alongside him in the Maori side, made my own selection so much more special.?

Toopi hadn?t played with the New Zealand Maori since 2001, his own selection tribute to a season which not only saw him resurrect his own NRL career following a stint in the English Super league and several serious injury set backs.

England ran out widely tipped to take control of the match as they prepared for their opening Four Nations clash with New Zealand, however the Maoris? Titans contingent had other ideas.

Thompson running in the first try in the 53rd minute, receiving a perfect pass from Toopi which sent him crashing through the English defense.
?It was a real hard out game against England, but I was wrapped to be surrounded by the likes of Toopi and Warriors hooker, Aaron Heremaia, they are both role models of mine.? Said Thompson.

?It was just a great experience all up, we really immersed ourselves in the Maori culture and were able to learn a little more in depth of our family and the house we came from.?

While the match ended in an 18 all draw, considered by many to be a Maori victory, the tour also allowed Thompson to further explore and embrace his Maori heritage.

?I already new a lot of my family history ? but just being able to learn more about my culture and get back to my family roots was a great experience, and definitely a career highlight alongside my Debut.?

Bodene will now enjoy the short break before training commences for the Titans in late November, and with no injuries to carry over he is looking forward to a fresh start to the 2011 season as a regular first grader.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au