Default Modern-era Kangaroos don't respect jumper

Modern-era Kangaroos don't respect jumper, says McCarthy

BOB McCarthy has called on the modern-era players who snubbed last weekend's Kangaroos reunion to hand back their Test jumper.
    The forward legend was incensed that four tables, seating 40 players, were empty for Saturday's annual event at the SCG Members Pavilion.

The players had accepted invitations but simply did not show up, with McCarthy now saying the reunion is in danger of collapsing. "It was embarrassing," he said.

Former Test stars John Sattler, Bob Honan, Bob Hagan, Tommy Bishop (English and New Zealand players were also welcome), Steve Walters and Ken Arthurson all paid to fly in from interstate especially for the function.

While McCarthy would not reveal names, most of those who failed to show have been Australian representatives during the past 15 to 20 years.

Parramatta champion Nathan Hindmarsh was one of the few modern-day players to attend.

"If players are embarrassed to have a drink with their old Australian teammates then they should hand back the jumper," said McCarthy, who played 15 Tests for Australia.

"A lot of the older players flew in and yet the local guys couldn't be bothered turning up. Reg Gasnier was there with a walker and Wally O'Connell was in a wheelchair.

"Do the younger blokes respect these former players? Nathan Hindmarsh was the only player from the past 10 years to turn up.

"Les Davidson, Paul Langmack, Steve Folkes, Paul Dunn and Steve Walters were modern-day players who turned up - but they were all playing in the 1980s and early '90s."

A no-show repeat next year could force the ARL to do the unthinkable and cancel the renowned event. "If these young blokes don't grasp what it's all about then the whole day will fall over," McCarthy said. "It will be held in a telephone box soon.

"You wonder whether they have a passion for the green and gold.

"If the blokes from the '50s and '60s hadn't shown up, there would have been no one there.

"Hindmarsh was proud to be there. The blokes that flew in are pensioners. Surely the younger guys on the big money can afford a taxi there."

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This is...

ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL!

Especially considering these players get rep payments.

If we want to take this game forward... we need respect for the Kangaroos.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I suppose these blokes that didn't turn up have realised that Bob McCarthy doesn't rule Rugby League like HE thinks he does! It's about time Bob McCarthy stood down from his soap box and stopped bullying people to his way of thinking all the time. Bob McCarthy needs to sit back in his old age and let the younger modern era kangaroo generation have a say and not be all NSW one sided. Sure Bob, you may have played X amount of tests, but that does not give you the right to have a go at other ex players that didn't turn up for your dinner party! I suppose you expect some sort of explanation or apology? I hope you get none! Oh and by the way, yes they do respect the older players, perhaps just not you!
    My thoughts are just that .. my thoughts. I don't profess to know everything about this great game of ours, Rugby League, but I do have eyes and I know what I see.