Default Former Britain hooker Newton found dead

AAP Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:13:15
    Terry Newton, a former British international rugby league player who became the first athlete to be suspended for testing positive for human growth hormone, has died. He was 31.

Police say officers found Newton dead on Sunday at a house in Orrell after receiving a report of concern for his welfare. They say "there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death."

Newton was banned for two years in February after testing positive for human growth hormone.

The hooker played for Leeds, Wigan and Bradford before having his contract with Wakefield cancelled because of his ban. He won 15 caps for Britain.

Richard Lewis, chairman of the Rugby Football League, says Newton's death is a "personal tragedy."
    #itaintweaktospeak

What a heartbreaking tragedy for his friends and family as well as the Rugby League family. I remembr seeing Terry play for the Old Enemy. And find it impossible to beliv that he has passed on.

Rest In Peace. Always to be remembered in our hearts and history.

The amount of terrible news of deaths of Rugby League players coming out of the Unites Kingdom is awful. Especially the last 3-4 years.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

His sister died recently i heard, he has been in deep depression.

Terrible news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    His sister died recently i heard, he has been in deep depression.

Terrible news.
    Oh god that is terrible news. I feel even worse now having read that.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Rugby player Newton helped doping probe

AAP Tue, 28 Sep 2010 03:45:35
    A rugby league player serving a ban for using human growth hormone had been helping anti-doping investigators before his death, officials say.

Former British international Terry Newton was found hanged at his home in Wigan on Sunday in a suspected suicide.

His death came seven months after Newton became the first athlete worldwide to be suspended for testing positive for human growth hormone. He was 31.

UK Anti-Doping chief executive Andy Parkinson said on Monday: "In recent months, Mr Newton had been assisting UK Anti-Doping in its enquires into the use and supply of performance-enhancing drugs.

"While the circumstances of our relationship with Mr Newton were hardly ideal, we had respect for his openness and willingness to share his story to help his sport."

Newton is reported to have become depressed after being handed a two-year ban by the Rugby Football League (RFL), but Parkinson denied the former Wigan, Leeds and Bradford player had been abandoned by the governing body.

"The RFL takes anti-doping seriously - it has a rigorous testing program in place, and provides a high level of education and support to its players and clubs," Parkinson said.

Newton, who played 15 times for Britain, had been running a pub in his hometown of Wigan since his contract with Wakefield was terminated in February because of his suspension.

Supporters at the Super League grand final between Wigan and St Helens on Saturday will observe a minute's silence in memory of Newton.
    #itaintweaktospeak