Default 4th Qualifying Final St George Illawarra Dragons v Manly Sea Eagles

4th Qualifying Final: Sunday, September 12, 4pm, at WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah
    NRL: (1) St George Illawarra Dragons v (8) Manly Sea Eagles, 4pm

Toyota Cup: (2) New Zealand Warriors v (7) Manly Sea Eagles 1.30pm

Gates Open: 1.15pm
    #itaintweaktospeak

I don't think we'll see any upsets in this match , Manly will be lucky to field half a 1st grade team
    #itaintweaktospeak

Manly anxiously awaiting player toll

By Steve Jancetic AAP Mon, 06 Sep 2010 12:33:58
    Manly skipper Jamie Lyon says the battered club may not know for a few days which of many doubtful players will be available to take on minor premiers St George Illawarra in the first week of the NRL finals.

The Sea Eagles have as many as nine players in danger of missing Sunday's trip to WIN Jubilee Oval for the fourth qualifying final after they limped into the playoffs in eighth place despite Sunday's loss to Canterbury.

The match review committee will decide later on Monday the fate of co-captain Jason King, Chris Bailey and centre Steve Matai, with all three facing possible high tackle charges.

Test backrower Anthony Watmough (ankle), Matt Ballin (concussion), Brent Kite (collarbone), Joe Galuvao (groin), Keiran Foran (shoulder) and Lyon (ankle) are also in doubt - that injury list on top of the unavailability of Glenn Stewart (suspension) plus Shane Rodney and Brett Stewart, who both won't play again in 2010 due to knee injuries.

"We have got a few out and it's going to be a really big challenge for us, but we're confident in the players we have still available," Lyon said at Monday's captain's call from the eight NRL finalists at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Asked who would definitely not play, Lyon said: "It could be everyone at the moment, we could have quite a few out.

"We don't know exactly who's in or who's out at the moment, we probably won't know for a few days yet."

The most anticipated of the four qualifying finals pits Wests Tigers against Sydney Roosters at the SFS, with officials hopeful of a 40,000-plus sellout on Saturday night at a venue both clubs share.

"Everyone in the club's pretty excited about being back here in September, it's been five years," Farah said.

"We're just hoping the Tigers fans outnumber the Roosters fans and make it a home ground advantage for us.

"I'm sure if we can fill out the stadium it will be a great spectacle."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I don't think we'll see any upsets in this match , Manly will be lucky to field half a 1st grade team
    This, although it is the Dragons in September...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    This, although it is the Dragons in September...
    Seasoned Dragons supporter!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Dragons in a canter. Too many out for Manly.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I don't know about this one, the bookies still have the Dragons at 1.17 and 1.65 for 13+.

Something doesn't seem right.

If Manly win, the Tigers, after placing 3rd and narrowly losing in the most exciting game of the season, will be out of the finals. The Roosters, who narrowly won against the Tigers, will get a week off after finishing 6th. This proves that the McIntyre system is a joke. The top 4 should be the only teams with a chance of earning a week off, and the bottom 4 should be fighting for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    If Manly win, the Tigers, after placing 3rd and narrowly losing in the most exciting game of the season, will be out of the finals. The Roosters, who narrowly won against the Tigers, will get a week off after finishing 6th. This proves that the McIntyre system is a joke. The top 4 should be the only teams with a chance of earning a week off, and the bottom 4 should be fighting for survival.
    .......and if Manly win (which I hope happens...no offense) Dragons will need to face the in form Raiders......something I think the rest of the finalists want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    .......and if Manly win (which I hope happens...no offense) Dragons will need to face the in form Raiders......something I think the rest of the finalists want to avoid.
    No offence taken I had a play with the finals predictor on NRL.com, and if we win, and Raiders win week 2, we play them in week 3. If we lose, as you said we play them next week.

Hoping Manly can cause an upset!
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Dragons vow not to waste their chance

By Steve Jancetic AAP Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:26:24
    Don't die with the music in you.

Nearly a decade may have passed since St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett published his inspirational book, but for current-day Dragons players, the message behind the title remains as pertinent as ever.

On the eve of their qualifying final against Manly at WIN Jubilee Oval on Sunday, Bennett's Dragons have vowed not to waste the opportunity put before them, St George Illawarra just three wins away from finally shedding the dreaded chokers tag.

It was the same position they found themselves in just 12 months ago, minor premiers after a dominant regular season before crashing out of the finals with back-to back losses.

In the second of those losses against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium, the Dragons fell behind 24-6 by the hour mark.

It was only then that red and whites began chancing their arm, but by that stage, it was too little too late.

"The same thing happened up in Brisbane this year (a 10-6 loss to the Broncos in round 21), the last 15 minutes I pulled my finger out," Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward.

"It's frustrating, Wayne sort of said to me 'why wait until the last 15'.

"We don't want that to happen again, I don't want it to happen again. We need to be in it for the 80 minutes and it starts on Sunday."

Asked if he had reminded his players of the need to take advantage of the position they have put themselves in, Bennett said:

"They all realise that - they know where they were last year and I don't think there's anyone here that wants to waste any chances this year."

Bennett believes his players are fresher and in better form heading into the finals than they were 12 months ago, which is more than can be said of the opponents on Sunday.

Suspension and injury has robbed the Sea Eagles of a host of key players, while Anthony Watmough (ankle) and Keiran Foran (shoulder) are both rated only 50-50 chances of playing, with a final decision due on game day.

Whatever the circumstances of the opposition, Soward claims he and the team are better placed to be a success in the post-season.

Soward's elevation into the top echelon of NRL players in 2009 was central to the Dragons capturing last year's minor premiership, but the diminutive pivot has found a consistency about his play in 2010 that he didn't have last year.

"Last year, I kept getting the ball bounce my way," said Soward, who has scored just six tries in 2010 compared to 12 last year.

"If a loose ball was there it just happened to bounce up for me, but in finals football that stuff just didn't happen and I probably paid the price personally for that.

"I was devastated when we lost because I was looking around and going 'well what do I do now'.

"This year I've found other ways to get into games if we're losing, if it's a kick or a good tackle or whatever ... I'm a lot happier and comfortable with my footy this year."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Priddis wary of young Sea Eagles

Michael Rogers NRL.com Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:01:00
    ST GEORGE Illawarra veteran Luke Priddis says the Dragons will set out to exploit Manly's inexperience by crushing the Sea Eagles' confidence in the opening exchanges on Sunday.

The Sea Eagles have been crippled by injury in recent weeks and inexperienced trio Trent Hodkinson, Kieran Foran and Terence Seu Seu will be asked to shoulder much of the attacking load at Jubilee Oval.

But Priddis told BigPond Sports Weekend on Saturday that the Dragons couldn't afford to take their eighth-placed rivals lightly.

"We've got three grand finals to play. Manly are going to turn up with a nothing-to-lose attitude," he said.

"They've been in three of the last five grand finals so they've still got a few internationals in that side. They've obviously got a lot of injuries but they've still got some key players that can perform on the day."

With a forward pack boasting Ben Creagh, Michael Weyman and Neville Costigan, Priddis said the Dragons would look to make their most of their size advantage early.

"We're a good pack and we've got some big blokes coming off the bench in young Trent Merrin and Saff (Jarrod Saffy)," he said.

"But once again, we've just got to get out there and let Manly know they're in for a tough game right from the start.

"Any side, if you give them that little bit of a sniff, they'll grow in confidence and they'll play accordingly."

Hodkinson, who was narrowly pipped by Brisbane's Matt Gillett for the Dally M Rookie of the Year award, and Foran have both had breakout seasons for the Sea Eagles.

But the pair's output has slowed in recent weeks, and Foran heads into Sunday's final with a shoulder injury clouding his fitness.

Despite their travails, Priddis believes the Sea Eagles youngsters will take the field at Jubilee Oval expecting to play the game of their lives.

"These are the sort of matches where blokes can make a name for themselves," he said.

"Young Terence Seu Seu, only three games throughout the year, but he's a pretty classy player. He's quick out of dummy half and if you give him half a chance, he'll go through and he'll set someone up or he'll score himself.

"These young blokes, they've got nothing to lose and they can make themselves a name in the game and get the glory ... all the pressure's on us."
    #itaintweaktospeak

While the scoreline says we did great, I was disappointed in the way we scored our tries and the fact that we kicked so many penalty goals. We can't play like we did today against the Raiders, Tigers or Titans because they won't simply lie down in the last 20 minutes and they sure as hell will be more potent in attack. Glad to have the week off though, 2 wins away from the premiership

QLD Cup Titan

I give credit to Manly - they were down and out from the start but did pretty well against the dragons. The dragons were ok - but not outstanding - definitely beatable!!!
    One thing I did notice heaps from the fans is how much they boo for penalties. I noticed it when we played them down there and gee they do get some penalities come their way!!! Just an idea for us :-) We chant and yell out but we don't boo much!