Default Old pro Mat Rogers wants to avoid limelight in Titans' finals run

by Greg Davis From: The Courier-Mail September 06, 2010

RETIRING dual international Mat Rogers does not want the 2010 NRL semi-finals to be about him.

The 34-year-old can follow in the fairytale footsteps of Shane Webcke (2006), Mal Meninga (1994) and Royce Simmons (1991) by finishing his career with a premiership with Gold Coast to embark on their finals campaign against New Zealand at Skilled Park on Friday night.

But the Titans five-eighth is keen to shun the September spotlight.

"I just want to be low maintenance for this team," Rogers said yesterday.

"I'm the oldest guy here and the last thing I want is the 'Mat Rogers Show' to take over what we are trying to achieve here."

But it was certainly the 'Mat Rogers Show' last Friday night when more than 60 family and friends descended on Skilled Park to celebrate his final home-and-away match at the venue.

They wore special "Rat" T-shirts and took out a number of corporate boxes as part of the significant build-up to the match.

"All my family is here. It's like a wedding," Rogers said after the 21-18 win over West Tigers, when he was forced to play halfback while skipper Scott Prince was treated for a shoulder injury, and snapped an important field goal.

"It's been a bit overwhelming but I'm grateful for it. It's all behind us now. It's time to play semi-final football."

Rogers said the Titans would not be driven by memories of their straight sets exit from last year's finals series.

Gold Coast earned a home final but losses to Brisbane and Parramatta provided a flat finish to a season that promised so much.

"We are kidding ourselves if we are thinking about last year," Rogers said. "We've got to become process-driven side not a result-driven side. "If we get the process right we know we can beat anybody."

But first the battered and bruised Titans must deal with a long list of injuries which includes Rogers (hip), Prince (shoulder), Steve Michaels (shoulder), Ashley Harrison (broken nose) and Brad Meyers (bruised ribs), as well as sweating on the possible return of Preston Campbell (hamstring) and Luke Bailey (broken thumb).

Meyers is doubtful for the Warriors clash, as is Bailey.

Campbell is almost certain to return while the rest of the walking wounded will line up for week one of the finals.

"We're right as a team. We'll be ready . . . unless something is broken, we'll have a full squad out there," Rogers said.

"We have plenty of time to heal in a few weeks time."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    "We're right as a team. We'll be ready . . . unless something is broken, we'll have a full squad out there," Rogers said.

"We have plenty of time to heal in a few weeks time."
    I love that line
    #itaintweaktospeak