Default 'Flash' Gordon quick as lightning bolt

Luke Turgeon | August 27th, 2010

LIGHTNING quick Titans winger Kevin Gordon has further staked his claim as the fastest man in league, with GPS match data revealing the fleet-footed flyer has clocked speeds in excess of 40km/h this season.

With the turf at the Sydney Football Stadium still smouldering after he sensationally ran down Roosters rocket Sam Perrett on Monday night, the Gold Coast Bulletin has obtained the numbers that prove what many already believe.

Gordon has broken the 40km/h barrier numerous times this season, with a maximum recorded speed of 41.8km/h.

Put simply, the kid can move.

"He has worn a GPS unit in 10 games this year," said Titans strength and conditioning coach Chris McLellan.

"What we have had throughout the year is some spikes and some high velocities above 40km/h, which is super quick.

"He might have two or three of those in a game and they naturally correspond with him getting into space."

Incredibly, 100m world record-holder Usain Bolt has a top speed of about 43km/h, which is just 1.2km/h faster than 20-year-old Gordon.

But McLellan said it was unfair and extremely difficult to compare the two, as the speeds were measured in different ways.

Bolt's top speed is taken from timed 10m splits, while Gordon's maximum speed is measured by GPS over just a couple of metres.

"He has even asked us if that means he would run a sub-10 second 100m and the answer is no, because that is just his top-end speed," said McLellan.

"With a 100m sprint you have to get up to that speed and try and maintain it, so it doesn't equate.

"But he is still super quick at his top end."

The first time Gordon breached the 40km/h barrier, McLellan thought the GPS unit -- which sits between a player's shoulder blades near the base of the neck -- must have been broken.

He replaced it with a different unit a week later and, much to his surprise, Gordon produced the same results.

Unfortunately, the team was not wearing GPS during their victory over the Roosters, so the speed Gordon reached to reel in opposite Perrett was never recorded.

But even Perrett admitted being amazed by Gordon's pace.

"I remember seeing him play in the Toyota Cup and always knew he was lightning," said Perrett after the game. "I thought I was home and hosed and then turned around and saw Kevin there. I got a fright."

Despite his obvious claims, it appears Gordon will not get the chance to challenge for the official title of Australia's fastest footballer when the Gatorade Bolt hits Sydney on September 15.

With the Titans in the finals, Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis have been chosen to represent the NRL against rugby union, AFL and soccer in the event.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Its a shame we won't see him race but everybody knows he's the fastest in the comp anyway
    #itaintweaktospeak

I dont know about that. Isaac Goordon and Uate. Uate blew around him earlier this year

Plus I know Mead is faster over the 100.

Ryan Tongia today showed just why he would make Gordon look slow

Banned

yet noone gets him use the speed because we never give him space

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I dont know about that. Isaac Goordon and Uate. Uate blew around him earlier this year

Plus I know Mead is faster over the 100.

Ryan Tongia today showed just why he would make Gordon look slow
    You make the comparison with Mead quite a bit but I'm told by Friendy that Gordon has his measure , but Ryan Tongia definatly looks extremely quick & looks not too far off pushing for the top grade.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    You make the comparison with Mead quite a bit but I'm told by Friendy that Gordon has his measure , but Ryan Tongia definatly looks extremely quick & looks not too far off pushing for the top grade.
    I know I make comparisons cause I know 1000% he is quicker, its just that everyone talks about Kevin for some reason. I will raise you about 10 other 1st graders who think opposite to Friendy.

Ryan Tongia needs to cut the little mistakes out of his game. He has a chance at the end of the year to make the Kumuls squad and if he does he has a chance to impress the Titans coaching staff. He already has Q Cup experience so he has been in with the tough stuff. He used to train as a sprinter and throughout the year Mead and Tongia had been doing some sprint training getting good results.

Hmmm teke or Friendy; who do we believe? One is an anonymous internet user, the other is a team mate who plays & trains with them all week every week??????
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hmmm teke or Friendy; who do we believe? One is an anonymous internet user, the other is a team mate who plays & trains with them all week every week??????
    Prince told me he was quicker, there you go

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Prince told me he was quicker, there you go
    Bird told me that Prince was lying when he told you. So take that!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Bird told me that Prince was lying when he told you. So take that!
    You got me dammit

No need for this video of the race then

i think more ppl talk about gordon cause is just better :P
    mead is fast ill give him that. but gordon is a complete footy player, he can read the game and use his footwork, where as all i think mead has is speed

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    i think more ppl talk about gordon cause is just better :P
    mead is fast ill give him that. but gordon is a complete footy player, he can read the game and use his footwork, where as all i think mead has is speed
    You cant just write that...all he has is speed. He was leading more stats than anybody until injury and that was not just due to his speed. I dont find Kevin anywhere near a complete footy player at the moment, certainly not someone like Zillman.
    Last edited by teke; 30-08-10 at 02:29 AM.

Bit silly really, we have all three so who cares.

Gordon will play rep football very soon, great player, crowd favorite, blistering speed, good footy brain.

Mead will represent his country for a long time, still young, lightning fast, showed he is a great finisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I agree with the posters who worry that our wings aren't used enough. I add that Mead was appearing to lack confidence prior to his injury.

Now to settle the topic ... Mead faster (as measured against the Cannings goose step) Gordon smarter (as measured against the Meyer show-and-go).
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.