Post THE PRINCE DIARIES: Not bad for `old buggers'

Age barb certainly wasn't a Rooster booster
    Scott Prince | August 27th, 2010
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Not bad for `old buggers'

It was late on Monday night when Brian Smith's jibe finally found its target. But by then the venom had disappeared and his barb was about as lethal as a Nathan Friend haymaker.

A couple of hours before Smith had sent his Roosters into battle at the Sydney Football Stadium with a rousing speech.

Obviously the veteran coach was keen to end a two-week losing stretch that has put question marks over the Roosters' dynamic late season form.

As the Tricolours were about to head out the door to face us, Smithy's final words would have been ringing in their ears.

They were something like: "Now go out and do a job on those bunch of old buggers."

Old buggers, eh Smithy? At 7pm on Monday night, that line may have held some weight in some people's minds, especially south of the Tweed River.

But that was before old bugger Clinton Toopi, 30, shredded Smith's Roosters with two tries.

That was before old bugger Mat Rogers, 34, belied Father Time with another class performance that places him as the form No.6 of the entire NRL.

That was before old bugger Luke Bailey, 30, patrolled the middle ground with one of the most powerful and unrelenting engines of any forward in the NRL.

That was before old bugger Anthony Laffranchi, just a few months shy of 30, menaced Smith's defensive line in another tireless display.

That was before old bugger Red Meyers, 30, showed why he is still one of the most effective forwards in the game.

Let me explain that one. We were defending our line in a first half that was played at Origin pace. Red and I, two blokes who know just how fast Origin is, were side by side centrefield with a wave of red, white and blue coming at us.

Todd Carney had the ball and about six blokes outside him. I had two defenders outside me. "Get Carney," I screamed at Red.

But there was no reply as Big Red chugged desperately across. "Get him," I screamed again. I watched Carney shape to pass and I knew I had to put my trust in Red and aim at the attacker outsider Carney.

At the last second Carney dummied and made a dart for the tryline a young, strong, brilliant attacking player against a tired old bugger. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a red flash and heard the dull thud of shoulder into ribcage. Go Big Red.

And finally, Smith's comment was made before another old bugger, me, also on the wrong side of 30, felt 21 again as part of a team that even in the tough times refuses to throw in the towel.

Only Smithy will know the answer but I am guessing he is one of the majority in Sydney who haven't rated us as being contenders. Just a few weeks ago we were outsiders at $29 to win the premiership.

Honestly, that sentiment doesn't worry us. It doesn't make us angry or resentful. The same as the sentiments from people who say we are a `good thing' for the title.

While the latter is nice to hear from our fans, there are only a few voices that we truly listen to, and they are the ones who speak in the inner sanctum of this club. They are the ones who know us best and what we are capable of.

Their's is the truth we take to heart.

So Smithy, I wish you and your talented young team all the best for the remainder of the season.

For me, I will be happy to go into combat with my old buggers.

Dad's Army, the Titans Grey Army, call them what you like, but when things get tough, when you are shoulder-to-shoulder in a bruising, bloody battle, I would not swap one of them (or any of our pesky young kids) for any other rooster in the comp.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I love reading this. Makes me always hope that age and experience is always a hallmark of our roster.

If anything wins us the Premiership it is wise heads and skilled hands.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Absolutely agree, you can see that the player's experience is what's spearheading the campaign towards the grand final. I think there was some stats a little while ago showing the Titans were the number 1 team in terms of coming back from behind and winning games. Holding nothing against the teams of 2007, it was more often than not that the Titans that year would lose the game if they were behind with only 20 minutes left. Nowadays I feel they can always come back and win.