Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Gold Coast suffered a blow to their top four hopes with a surprise 30-16 loss to Cronulla on Saturday night, but the Titans are confident the set back is just a blip on their finals radar.

The Titans will need to beat Wests Tigers next week to cement a home final, however they were far from panicked after their five-match winning streak came to an end at the hands of the gutsy Sharks.

However, of concern for coach John Cartwright is the health of in-form five-eighth Mat Rogers, who eft the field early with a hip-flexor injury.

The visitors had it all to play for cronulla looked a team on a mission as they fought to send retiring veterans Trent Barrett and Luke Covell out winners on home soil at Toyota Park.

Covell had a night to emember scoring the opening try from an intercept and going on to kick a perfect five from five.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan was delighted his side could farewell two of their most experienced players with victory, but wasn't convinced Covell would bag a try as his notorious lack of pace threatened to stop him on a 45 metre dash to the line in the seventh minute of play.

"I was up in the box and there were some people cheering and my first thought was he won't get there but it was great for him to score," Flanagan said of Covell taking the loose pass from Titans captain Scott Prince, and then fending the halfback off to get over the line. "I was so happy for Trent and Cov, they've been great players, both represented their country and they've been great club men." Video referee Bill Harrigan made an easy return to the box after his axing, with not one of the eight tries being sent upstairs for checking.

It was also Greg Bird's first trip back to The Shire after being sacked by Cronulla in 2008.

Bird got the chance to start and his aggressive play in attack and defence led the way for an otherwise flat Titans outfit, who struggled without Prince on his game.

"It wasn't really the desired result but that was only a small blimp on the matches that are going to be coming up in the next few weeks for us," said Bird, who only got a few boos from fans and spent plenty of time in the Sharks sheds after the match.

Cronulla got off to a strong start and took an 18-6 advantage into halftime after Gallen - who Flanagan praised as the best back rower in the NRL - set up a try for Nathan Gardner and then scored one himself.

The Titans came out firing early in the second, and dynamic interchange player Bodene Thompson scored his second try of the night - after some incredible lead-up work which saw the ball kicked twice and touched by seven sets of hands.

However, the Sharks wrapped up one of their most convincing wins of the season when halfback Tim Smith kicked for himself and dived over in the 57th minute.

www.nrl.com.au

I love the Titans but really, we beat the Roasters, we beat the Dragons, we beat the Eels but we can't beat the Sharks. They are second last on the ladder. This is the sort of game we need to win to gain credibility. Any chance of a minor premiership or even a home final could be out the window.

Mind you, some of the refs decisions had me scratching my head.

That game was about fatigue and respect.
    A lack of respect to the ball and sharks.

Had we won and also Next week we would have needed to win 10 straight for the GF.

Get the boys home and let's get ready for the tigpies.

Bodine was great
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Banned

i just want that top 2 spot so that we get the week off to go to lang park when we win in the 1st week

I hope Lafrancs' is ok for the tigers game! Bird, 10 tackles, 8 missed tackles and THAT kick on the 2nd/third tackle so close to our line, what was that! Not good enough for a second rower. Matt Rogers hopefully will be fit for 5/8, Bird back to the bench. Stats tell the whole story. I honestly believed we could beat the Sharks. Very disappointed by some decisions but you get that when trying too hard. Next week, different story. Back to basics. DEFEND, DEFEND, DEFEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2007 View Post
    I hope Lafrancs' is ok for the tigers game! Bird, 10 tackles, 8 missed tackles and THAT kick on the 2nd/third tackle so close to our line, what was that! Not good enough for a second rower. Matt Rogers hopefully will be fit for 5/8, Bird back to the bench. Stats tell the whole story. I honestly believed we could beat the Sharks. Very disappointed by some decisions but you get that when trying too hard. Next week, different story. Back to basics. DEFEND, DEFEND, DEFEND!
    Put most of those missed tackles down to shoulder charges that bruised a few ribs but didn't 'technically' complete the tackle, he made some massive hits in defence. "That kick" wasn't too flash but Prince and Rogers had a few of those too. Bird was bending the line all night, he was probably our best bar Harrison. Stats only tell half the story.....
    Bodene had an awesome game considering he only played 36mins, made excellent impact and obviously got all the points too.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    i just want that top 2 spot so that we get the week off to go to lang park when we win in the 1st week
    Last year the Storm finished fourth, but got the next week off, it all depends on results, the top 2 winning teams in the first week get that advantage, all we need to do is concentrate on tigers, we win that and we get a home semi, we win that and anything could happen
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I was a little disappointed in Toopi considering the blinder he had last week. The first 2 penalties against us was for him stripping the ball (second was dubious)...and then on our defensive line he got sucked into a push and shove allowing Smith to grubber through the gap. He is more experienced than that and I hope Carty got up him for the latter.

Some on here have mentioned some dubious decisionsagainst us?...yet no one has mentioned the forward pass to Atkins at the end....

I just thought Cronulla played out of their skin and we were flat....Now we got it out of our system bring on the Tigers.

Default Rogers confident of fitness

By Ben Horne AAP Sun, 29 Aug 2010 13:29:18
    Gold Coast five-eighth Mat Rogers is confident he will be fit to take on Wests Tigers next week despite suffering a hip injury in the Titans' 30-16 NRL loss to Cronulla.

Rogers copped a hit with about 20 minutes to go on Saturday night but is hopeful of being right for Friday night's blockbuster against the Tigers at Skilled Park because it is an impact injury and not muscular.

The retiring veteran has been in outstanding form at pivot, and his absence could cause disruption to the strong momentum the Titans are carrying into the finals.

Gold Coast may have to win on Friday to secure a top four berth and a home final.

"I think I'm just getting every injury before I retire just to say I've had it but I'll be right," Rogers joked.

"It's a bit of a hip flexor, hip pointer, hip something.

"It's pretty sore but I think it'll be alright. It's just a little bit painful and I couldn't really run so not much point being out there if you can't run."

Saturday night's shock loss to the Sharks ended the Titans' five-match winning streak but Rogers wasn't overly concerned.

However, he was sorry that the team couldn't win for Greg Bird, who made his return to Toyota Stadium after being sacked by the Sharks in 2008.

Rogers, who also spent many years in the Shire earlier in his career, said the team was determined to make it a memorable night for second rower Bird - who will switch back to No.6 should Rogers be ruled out on Friday.

"He's doing everything right, he just adds some starch to our defensive line and it was a shame that we couldn't win for him more than anyone," he said.

"He sort of got driven out of town here and never mind he's playing semi-final football in a couple of weeks and hopefully we can get that elusive premiership that we never got at the Sharks together."

Titans coach John Cartwright is also confident welcoming back injured duo Anthony Laffranchi and Preston Campbell.

Should he have a full complement, Cartwright would have a tough decision as to whether he starts Bird in the back row or uses him as an impact player off the bench.

Bird isn't sure what his role will be.

"When you have a few weeks off the fitness is a little bit out so that was just a concern to make sure I played the full 80 and pulled out the other side without making too many errors," Bird said.

"... I'm happy to slip into the 17 wherever I can."

Source: www.nrl.com

You gotta laugh at Taga, every week he never fails to do the simplest of errors.

A few minutes later he turns it around a creams someone into next week

have to beat the Tigers by 9 to draw level with them on points differential and comp points.

With the way results have gone, Titans must win next friday to get a top four spot.
    Panthers should win tomorrow night.
    Warriors should kill Parra next week.
    If that happens and the Titans lose, bye bye top 4.
    If we're good enough we'll get it. If we want a GF spot it's a game we're going to have to win at some point.

We can not go into the finals on a two game losing streak, it doesn't matter what the ladder is we MUST win against Tigpies.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    We can not go into the finals on a two game losing streak, it doesn't matter what the ladder is we MUST win against Tigpies.
    Tigers are playing impressively over the last few weeks and imo they arent in top form yet.

Teams that have been on a hot running streak seem to go on a mini losing streak once their 1st loss comes. Friday night match should be one of the games of the year.