Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I dont think bird has anything to prove down there

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Nd iv been told that the team has not been 100% done as booff is also in doubt of playing this week....

Bruise Brothers turn on each other

By Steve Jancetic AAP Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:26:25
    Together they were the 'Bruise Brothers' but at Toyota Park on Saturday night the family will turn on each other when Paul Gallen and Greg Bird go head to head for the first time.

The good mates will line-up on opposite sides of the field when Cronulla host Gold Coast.

Bird is returning to the Sutherland Shire for the first time since being sacked by the club after he was charged and later cleared of assaulting his girlfriend.

Despite having the clash marked down on his calendar, Gallen admitted to having some apprehension about taking on his former Sharks team-mate.

"I'm not overly looking forward to it - he's a good player," Gallen said.

"I won't be going out of my way to look for him and I'm sure he'll be the same.

"If we're in the same area and we get the ball we'll be into each other but other than that we're just going to play our normal game."

But normal for this pair is anything but placid, with both known for their rugged competitiveness and willingness to test the letter of the law with their play.

It is sure to be an emotional night for Bird, who was shown the door midway through 2008, returning to face the club at which he rose through the ranks to claim a Test jersey.

Despite the dramatic nature of his exit, Gallen said he expected Bird to be warmly welcomed by the Sharks faithful.

"Judging by some of the signs I've see around here this year he might get a pretty good one," Gallen said of the anticipated reaction by the Cronulla crowd.

"It might be one of the best homecomings for a bloke that's left a club in history."

Bird won't be the only ex-Shark coming back to Toyota Park, with Preston Campbell - who won a Dally M medal with the club in 2001 - and Mat Rogers also returning.

Rogers will join current Sharks Trent Barrett and Luke Covell in playing his last game at the ground, the trio to hang up their boots at the end of the season.

With the Sharks having struggled mightily the last two seasons, Gallen said he felt compelled to send Barrett out a winner after the former St George Illawarra playmaker arrived at the club expecting to challenge for the premiership.

"The great career he's had and what he's achieved, the way he's finished his last two seasons probably hasn't been something that he's deserved," Gallen said.

"Hopefully these last two games we can go out and play some good footy for him and to get a couple of wins would be the ultimate."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Anthony Laffranchi, Preston Campbell ruled out of Titans clash with Sharks
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27613640-5018866,00.html
    August 26, 2010

Gold Coast Titans stars Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi have been ruled out of their side's clash with Cronulla after failing to recover from injuries.

Campbell missed the Titans' 23-14 victory over Sydney Roosters on Monday night with a hamstring strain, but was hopeful of being fit for the clash with the Sharks.

William Zillman is expected to move from the wing to fullback, where he filled in for Campbell on Monday night.

Laffranchi has succumb to a shoulder injury, meaning former Sharks five-eighth Greg Bird moves into the starting line-up for his return to Toyota Stadium.

A win against the Sharks would keep the Titans' minor premiership hopes alive.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Expect Tomane to have a big game in the under 20s.

The Titans are looking stronger every week.

Titans win 46 - 12

Banned

so taga is back in?

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    so taga is back in?
    Taga been playing for the Jetz in QRL the past few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

prob be him(as he was 18th man) or ben ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Expect Tomane to have a big game in the under 20s.

The Titans are looking stronger every week.

Titans win 46 - 12

Is tomane back from injury?

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Is tomane back from injury?
    He started full contact training last week.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

I hope big Joe can come good quickly, I reckon he will be a major boost for us on the right wing. Whether zillman or toopi makes way is the big question and both have been great. Maybe tomane on the bench to act as cover for our backline. He certainly would add to our attacking potency bringing th ball back from kicks and dummy half running, never mind his excellent work in the air. Anyway, tomane and Atkins = good cover for any backline injuries we might pick-up. With Bird in the forwards we definitely have the luxury of having a back on the bench.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I think Bird could show up in second row. Chalky trained with the squad this morning as well as Sam. Joseph was there but wasn't actually training along side the squad.

Zillman will play fullback, Atkins wing, Bird 2nd row and Taga comes on to the bench. Not bad replacements at all. We have fantastic depth this year.

SMH: SHARKS vs TITANS

Saturday, Toyota Stadium, 5.30pm

Referees: Jason Robinson, Chris James
    Head to head: Titans 3, Sharks 2
    Last clash: Titans 20 bt Sharks 10 at Skilled Park (rd 24 2009)
    TAB SportsBet: Titans $1.36, Sharks $3.00
    FootyTab: Sharks +8.5

The Titans are bidding to become the first team this season to win six in a row. Usually, there are a couple of longer winning streaks than that in a season, but the fact no team has managed to get past five is a great indication of just how even this competition is. The Titans have a clear advantage over the Sharks on paper, but the Sharks are playing their last home game of the season and will use the occasion to farewell Trent Barrett and Luke Covell, who are retiring at season's end. That makes them dangerous, because teammates inevitably lift under such circumstances.

The Titans beat the Roosters 23-14 on the road on Monday night. They fell behind early, but as is usually the case they stuck at it and began to make things difficult for the opposition because of their sheer persistence. The Roosters ended up making too many mistakes to win, and the Titans will aim to force the Sharks into considerable error as well. The Sharks lost to the Storm on the road last weekend, but the week before they won at home over the Roosters. The Titans are hot at the moment, but this could be a tricky game for them.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

A loss may actually add some sparkle to Gold Coast Titans' NRL finals hopes
    Darren Lockyer

IT would not be the end of the world for the Gold Coast to lose at Cronulla. It might actually help them have their best chance of winning their first premiership.

I reckon the Titans need a loss going into the sudden-death games in the semis. A loss allows good teams to re-set their attitude and re-focus on what they need to do.

The Titans have won their past five matches. That is the equal longest winning streak of the season by any team this year. The loss the Dragons had in Canberra last weekend won't hurt their long-term chances.

The competition between the teams this year, manufactured by the salary cap, is so tight that a small drop in performance or an error here or there can be decisive. To win games you need to be prepared mentally and going by results this year teams struggle to hold it together for much longer than a month. I think the team that best starts a form curve on the eve of the finals will time their run to win the premiership.

If they win their last two home-and-away games, that makes seven. A win in the first week of the finals, means they would have to win 10 in a row to take out the premiership by taking out the preliminary final and grand final.

That's an eternity in this competition for a team to be at their best mentally and also have their best team on the field. I notice Scott Prince said after the win over the Roosters last Monday that the Titans "just have that confidence and self-belief at the moment".

When Broncos and Queensland teams I am in are going well and reporters ask me where the good form and results are coming from, those are the words I find myself most frequently using in reply.

I've been consistent this year in rating the Titans among the best title chances.

Two years ago, I wrote in this column that I thought that group of Gold Coast players was premiership-ready. They have a good mix of experience, defence and attacking assets throughout their history.

The salary cap mitigates against truly great teams, such as Easts in the 1970s and Parramatta in the 1980s, capturing the imagination of the public, but the fact so many teams have a premiership chance is good for the game and also adds weight to the NRL's claims for wealthier broadcast deals from 2013.

Expansion is an issue for the NRL, hopefully an NRL independent commission, to address. If the business plan adds up, I think two more clubs, and one needs to be in Perth, would be something the game could adequately service, especially if an increase to the salary cap is granted, as it would entice Australian players currently in the Super League to come home.

Critics would say a game between 15th and 17th wouldn't keep too many backsides on lounge chairs. But up until two weeks ago, wasn't team No.12 still a chance of making this year's finals?

WE are experimenting with different ways of strapping my ribs ahead of me hopefully playing on Friday night against Canberra at Suncorp Stadium.

I'd say I'm a 50-50 chance of playing, but the state of the table at the end of the weekend will have an effect on my decision as well - we will weigh everything up.

Had I played in Auckland, I'd have probably missed next week against Canberra. Souths and Parramatta losing helped our cause.

I trained on Monday and got through about three-quarters of the session. There were a couple of things which gave me a bit of discomfort and suggested my ribs were not strong enough. The coming week, we will try to do a little more and see how it fairs.

While the team was in Auckland, I was able to continue with my fitness work back at Red Hill.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER