Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bird, Rogers and Presto back on old turf.

I hope The Sharks fans remember Matty and give him a deserving send off on Saturday night.

From NRL.com

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has named livewire fullback Preston Campbell to return for Saturday night's NRL match-up with Cronulla at Toyota Park.

The 33-year-old missed Monday night's win over the Sydney Roosters with a hamstring injury but the Titans are confident he will recover in time despite the short turnaround.

Speedster William Zillman returns to the wing to accommodate Campbell's return.

Sharks Pomeroy Defies The Pain

Desperate to be part of the farewell party at Shark Park on Saturday night, Cronulla centre Ben Pomeroy will ignore a painful rib cartilage injury to return against the in-form Gold Coast at Toyota Stadium.

The experienced back sat out last week's loss to Melbourne but returns for the Titans clash, which will see Trent Barrett and Luke Covell make their final home ground appearances in the NRL.

Ricky Leutele makes way for Pomeroy while Adam Cuthbertson replaces the injured Josh Cordoba (hamstring) on the bench in the only changes to the Cronulla line-up.

"I knew it was 'Baz' and 'Cov's' last home game and I didn?t want to miss it," Pomeroy said.

"They are two great blokes and great players and I've enjoyed playing with them both."

"They will be missed around here."

Covell and Pomeroy joined the Sharks a year apart and have been inseparable ever since.

They occupy the same side of the field and away from football can be found trying to take money from each other on the golf course.

"He's one of the real pros at the club. He's not one of your quiet wingers; he lets you know he's around and what's happening out there," Pomeroy said of Covell.

"He's been here as long as I have and been on my edge the whole time and I will miss him."

"We're good mates away from footy and play a bit of golf and catch up in our spare time."

"It won't be the same without him."

Switching his attention to Barrett, Pomeroy said of the veteran five-eighth: "I didn't need to play with him to know he was a class player and I just wish we could have had him for another year."

"I can see why his career has gone so well for so long."

"He's one of the best of his era."

The Titans will arrive at Shark Park as the form team of the NRL after five straight wins.

Pomeroy is counting on the emotion of the night to bring the best out in the hosts.

"Cov and Baz deserve to go out with a win and we owe it to our fans to finish the year with a win," he explained.

"It's going to be a tough night against them ? they've been playing well ? but we've got plenty to play for."

"We were disappointed with the game against the Storm but to get a win up at out last home game was really good so hopefully we can get another win to finish of the season here at home on a high."

Source: http://www.Sharks.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Sharks Pomeroy Defies The Pain

Desperate to be part of the farewell party at Shark Park on Saturday night, Cronulla centre Ben Pomeroy will ignore a painful rib cartilage injury to return against the in-form Gold Coast at Toyota Stadium.

Source: http://www.Sharks.com.au
    I hope Toopi & Michaels ignore his Painful Ribs too ....
    #itaintweaktospeak

Bird to bite back at Shark Park

Cronulla veteran Paul Gallen expects former team-mate Greg Bird to receive a hero's welcome when he returns at 'Shark Park' on Saturday night for the first time since he was controversially sacked by the club.

Bird was cut loose by the Sharks in August 2008 after he was charged over the alleged glassing of his then girlfriend Katie Milligan.

The 26-year-old was initially found guilty of common assault but had his conviction overturned on appeal, clearing the way for his return to the NRL with Gold Coast at the start of this season.

And while Bird's controversial exit from the Sutherland Shire was a major factor in the club's recent struggles, Gallen is predicting a warm reception for his good mate on Saturday night.

"Judging by some of the signs we've seen around here this year he might get a pretty good one (reaction)," Gallen said of Bird's anticipated return on Wednesday.

"It might be one of the best home coming for a bloke that's left the club in history. We'll wait and see but he probably will get a fair welcome home I think."

But Gallen played down the significance of his head-to-head battle with Bird.

"It'll be the first time we've ever played against each other so it'll be something new and interesting but I won't be going out of my way to look for him and I'm sure he'll be the same," Gallen said.

"I'm not overly looking forward to it, no. I know he's a good player but I'm not really too worried about it. I'm just going to go out there and do my job and he's got bigger things to worry about than just me."

"I don't think he's going to be solely concerned on me. I'm sure if we're in the same area and we get the ball we'll be into each other but other than that we're just going to go and play our normal games."

While reluctant to stir up the fiery Bird, Gallen let his guard down when asked if Bird is among the toughest players he's played with or against.

"Are you serious? On the field he's tough but that's about it. He's a good bloke and he is tough, especially on the field. I wouldn't say that at training - he's a bit of a hypochondriac at training - but certainly on the field he's very uncompromising."

Despite their lowly ranking on the NRL ladder (14th), Gallen made no secret of his desire to send Trent Barrett and Luke Covell out on a winning note and revealed the side's plans to throw caution to the wind against the high-flying Titans.

"We haven't played well here all year and the last game we played here (against the Roosters) was pretty good and we'd like to send the two boys who are retiring out on a good note and also the fans who have turned up all year," he said.

And after a forgettable year, Gallen admits retaining his spot in the Kangaroos line-up ahead of the upcoming Four Nations tournament against England, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, is also a major source of motivation.

"I've got to admit this has probably been the hardest and most frustrating year I've had in my career," he said.

"Last year was tough but last year we had so many external things going on that were hard and took away from our focus on the field that we sort of had an excuse but this year we've probably just underachieved a little bit I feel."

"There's no point me going through the motions here just because I know we can't make the semis. I still want to put my best foot forward and keep my Australian spot."

"I've been there for the past three years now so it's certainly something that I want to do and I'll have to keep playing good."

http://sportal.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans Presto long odds to face Sharks

PRESTON Campbell remains at long odds of lining up against the Cronulla Sharks on Saturday after failing to train with the rest of his Gold Coast Titans teammates this morning.

While the majority of the squad completed a field session at Robina, Campbell was off to the side being put through his paces by trainer Ronnie Palmer.

Campbell injured his hamstring during training last Friday and was a late scratching against the Roosters.

Yesterday he was named at fullback to battle the Sharks, but appears highly unlikely to take his place.

''He is very doubtful this week,'' conceded Titans coach John Cartwright today.

''They are monitoring his (work) loads.''

NSW Origin representative Greg Bird made a successful return from his own hamstring injury against the Roosters and will come off the bench against his former club.

The return of Bird sets up a mouth-watering match-up with fellow Blues 'bash brother', good mate and Sharks lock Paul Gallen.

It will be the first time he has returned to the play in the Shire since he was sacked by the club under controversial circumstances.

''There is too much at stake to worry about Bird versus Gallen,'' said Cartwright.

''We will worry about the team.

''When it is all over I am sure he would like to say he got one over them, but in the heat of the game you don't have time to think about that.''

Titans veterans Mat Rogers, Anthony Laffranchi and Clinton Toopi did not train today but Cartwright said they were not injured and just being rested.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Friend says Titans team mates not concerned by comments from critics or bookies
    Jason Sintome

Speak to Titans rake Nathan Friend and he?ll tell you confidence is high at the Titans, but more importantly, the team have a great attitude towards each other, their goals and the games.

Speaking in the lead up to Saturday nights Cronulla clash at Shark Park and Friend says there is plenty for the Titans to play for despite the Sharks lowly position on the points table including a home final.

After twenty four rounds of competition the Rugby league world has finally recognised the Gold Coast as a genuine premiership threat in 2010, adding that the squad aren?t concerned by comments from critics or bookies as they strive towards the finals series on the back of five straight wins.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

I would be very surprised if Presto even flys down to Sydney, if there's any doubt at all keep the man wrapped in Cotton Wool we can play without him for another week or 2
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans star Greg Bird wary of Shark attack on return to Cronulla

GOLD Coast Titans firebrand Greg Bird admits to a sense of trepidation about his return to Cronulla - the club that effectively ran him out of town last year.

Sacked by the Sharks following off-field dramas, Bird shapes as the Titans' finals x-factor after a successful comeback from a hamstring tear in Gold Coast's 23-14 win over the Roosters in Sydney on Monday.

He has been back to Cronulla several times since he returned from a playing stint in France late last year, but this will be his first match against the club that showed him the door after he was accused, and later found not guilty of assaulting his girlfriend.

"I'm looking forward to playing the Sharks, I can tell you that," Bird said.

"I don't think I left there on bad terms, although I was disappointed with some things obviously.

"I don't really know how I will be received there, but I'm really looking forward to coming up against Gallsy (Paul Gallen) and my old mates, especially as I played seven or eight years at Shark Park."

The Titans are second on the NRL ladder and Bird believes they have a real shot at winning the premiership.

"We've got a lot more strike in this team than Cronulla in 2008 when we were beaten in the preliminary final.

"At Cronulla we had a great bunch of blokes and we had to work our hardest together to win games. This team has got more flair and experience and hopefully we can take it a step further than the club has been before.

"The Titans have worked hard over the last four years to build to this level, and we really think this could be our time."

Cronulla will farewell stalwart winger Luke Covell and former Test five-eighth Trent Barrett on Saturday, and while Bird has a soft spot for both players he will not let sentiment get in the way.

"I'm sure it will be an emotional occasion, but hopefully we can go out there and rain on their parade," he said.

With former Cronulla crowd favourite Mat Rogers in great form at five-eighth for the Titans, Bird remains on the interchange bench.

"I'm happy just to slip into the way the team is going and do whatever I can," he said.

"It probably will be emotional for Mat too, given he is retiring, but he has quite a few more games to worry about with the finals coming up and I'm sure this will be just a small blip on his radar."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Sharks v Titans
    Saturday, 5.30pm - Toyota Stadium

If the final home game for the retiring Luke Covell and Trent Barrett can?t bring out a gallant performance from the Sharks, then the boys from Cronulla haven?t come as far as everyone thought.

Covell has played 129 games for the club since 2005 while Barrett has played 34 games in his two seasons in the shire. Both have been true servants of the club, and the game will be the perfect chance for fans to give them a proper farewell. More importantly, however, Saturday?s match gives the Sharks? players the chance to leave a good memory in the minds of their supporters during the off-season, as a poor performance could be the final nail in the coffin for some.

The Titans come into this game on the back of some superb recent performances. They?ve won their past five games (Dragons, Warriors, Eels, Cowboys and Roosters) with wins against some quality oppositions.

The win against the Roosters last Monday night was a tantalising game of end-to-end football, and if they can play the same in this game, the Sharks could be in for a long night.

Scott Prince was at his best last Monday, setting up two tries and keeping the Roosters guessing the whole 80 minutes, with unpredictable play and superior vision that showed everyone why he is the form halfback of the competition.

The Sharks come into this game having won just one game since coach Shane Flanagan took over from Ricky Stuart little more than a month ago, and a win now will confirm the belief of many that the team has turned the corner.

Despite losing to the Storm 24-4 in Melbourne last weekend, there were positive signs to take out of the game. Despite the Storm having plenty of possession, Cronulla managed to keep them to 4-0 at halftime, defending their line with great energy. But a lapse of concentration in the second half and a number of turnovers allowed the Storm to take control. To give themselves a chance against the Titans, the players will need to defend like they did in the first half of last week?s game, but for the full 80 minutes.

And while there?s no sugar-coating how disappointing the Sharks have been this season, there are some good signs for the team, most notably the form of Nathan Gardner. Both Flanagan and Stuart have been raving about the young fullback all season, and he?ll be an important factor in this game.

Watch out Sharks: Scott Prince is the key man in his side?s attack, and how he plays will be a defining factor in the Titans? chances of victory.

As mentioned above, Prince showed great creativity against the Roosters, and his unpredictability means he will constantly have the opposition in two minds. He has 21 try assists this season ? the second most of any player in the competition ? and has 15 line-break assists as well.

Whether spreading the ball through the hands or using the boot, you can bet that Prince will be a handful for the entire game.

Watch out Titans: While the line about there being ?plenty to play for? is brought out quite often ? perhaps too often ? it?s certainly the case in this game with Barrett and Covell.

For a team which has had little to cheer about all season, it would be a mistake to underestimate the motivation the players will have to give the retiring players one last win in front of the faithful.

Barrett has been one of Cronulla?s most committed and energetic players all year, particularly in defence, and he?ll no doubt match those levels for this match. Barrett had four try assists in the Round 21 game against the Tigers, and has shown patches of his ball-running best during the past few games. In his home-game swansong, he?ll be one the Titans will be wary of.

Where it will be won: In the handling department. Both sides have far from impressive error rates, with the Sharks and Titans making 12.7 and 12.1 errors per game respectively, putting them in the bottom half of teams in that area.

Last week showed that the Sharks would be a competitive side with better handling, and it doesn?t take a genius to figure out what Scott Prince, Mat Rogers, and Preston Campbell could do with more time in possession.

The history: Played 5; Titans 3, Sharks 2. The Sharks have won both games played at Toyota Stadium, winning by a margin of 16 points in both matches.

In what could prove to be an omen, Luke Covell was the star of the show the last time the Titans played in Cronulla, scoring two tries and kicking five goals to rack up a personal tally of 18 points.

Conclusion: It?s always dangerous in a game like this when one team?s season is over while the other is cruising to a guaranteed finals spot, and the Titans will need to make sure their heads are screwed on right otherwise the Sharks could surprise them.

But as much as the Sharks have the motivation to win this one, it?s pretty tough to tip against the Titans.

The Sharks are a chance, but the points are for the taking if the Titans play even half as well as they have during the past few weeks. Betting on the Sharks with the margin could be a good option.

Match officials: Referees ? Jason Robinson & Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Ricky McFarlane & Luke Potter; Video Ref ? Bill Harrigan.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

I reckon if Presto's not up to it, he should sit it out, there will be games in the future that his presence will be much more valuable in than this game.

Ladies and Gentlemen - Titans crack the 40 barrier in this match.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen - Titans crack the 40 barrier in this match.

Oh yes please! I hope we can crush them. But at the same time I am very wary as the Titans never get any easy games.

Bird has big fish to fry in return to Sharks

TITANS hard man Greg Bird is eagerly anticipating a showdown with former flatmate Paul Gallen on Saturday as he returns to Toyota Stadium for the first time since he was sacked by Cronulla in 2008.

Bird and Gallen were colloquially known as the Bash Brothers during their seven years together at the Sharks, and were reunited briefly in July when both were selected for NSW for the third match of the State of Origin series.

Never, though, have the two men renowned for their uncompromising, win-at-all-costs approach been on opposite sides.

''I played seven years there - it's always good fun playing against blokes who I haven't played against before,'' said Bird, who returned from a lay-off with a hamstring injury in Gold Coast's 23-14 win over the Sydney Roosters on Monday night.

''I don't know whether I'll be going out and trying to put one on him ? I'll just go out and enjoy myself. It should be good fun playing against Gal. We used to live together, and were pretty tight when we played together there. I'm sure he'll be right on top of his game to make sure I don't get one over him.''

The Titans' visit to the Sutherland Shire on Saturday represents Bird's first foray back to the ground where he made his name. He was cut by the Sharks in August 2008 in the midst of furore over his alleged assault with a glass of his girlfriend Katie Milligan. He was later acquitted, but returned to the NRL only this year after a spell with Catalans Dragons.

''I'm looking forward to it - it's going to be a big occasion for me personally,'' Bird said. ''It's also a big game for us as a team ? there's bigger fish to fry than my history at Cronulla.''

Gallen predicted a rousing reception for Bird from the faithful. ''It might be one of the best homecomings for a bloke that's left the club in history,'' he said. ''It'll be the first time we've ever played against each other so it'll be something new and interesting but I won't be going out of my way to look for him and I'm sure he'll be the same.''

Bird has played most of his first year at the Titans at five-eighth but has been named for a second week in a row on the interchange bench, with the retiring Mat Rogers enjoying a sparkling run of form in the halves alongside captain Scott Prince.

The Titans, firmly nestled in the top four, and a chance of stealing the minor premiership from St George Illawarra after winning five games on the trot, have much to play for against Cronulla. However, they also have an eye on peaking at the right time, having faded dismally last year.

''A lot of the guys have spoken about that,'' Bird said. ''I wasn't around then ? The boys had a few injuries by the end of last season and from what they've said didn't have momentum on their side. I don't think that is the case this year ? we've worked up a head of steam.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/