Default Titans' Friend won't change his style

Luke Turgeon | August 16th, 2010

TENACIOUS Titans hooker Nathan Friend has vowed not to change his confronting style of play after copping his second sin binning of the season against the Cowboys.

As coach John Cartwright renewed calls to have the sin bin scrapped, Friend said he felt unlucky to be marched from the field following an altercation with North Queensland enforcer Luke O'Donnell six minutes into the second half.

Never one to back down, Friend said he was simply standing up for Titans fullback Preston Campbell, who was getting manhandled by O'Donnell as he lay on the deck.
    #itaintweaktospeak

We wouldn't want it any other way
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Titans' Friend won't change his style

Titans' Friend won't change his style

TENACIOUS Titans hooker Nathan Friend has vowed not to change his confronting style of play after copping his second sin binning of the season against the Cowboys.

As coach John Cartwright renewed calls to have the sin bin scrapped, Friend said he felt unlucky to be marched from the field following an altercation with North Queensland enforcer Luke O'Donnell six minutes into the second half.

Never one to back down, Friend said he was simply standing up for Titans fullback Preston Campbell, who was getting manhandled by O'Donnell as he lay on the deck.

"I was just trying to get him off and he retaliated," said Friend.

"Unfortunately the ref decided that is was best we both went.

"It is not in my nature to fight, but I am very competitive.

"We are all in a team and I was just helping a mate out there.

"It escalated and it is unfortunate that things like that happen in a game.

"But I don't go out there looking for it."

Friend was also at the centre of a scrum brawl sparked by Tigers opposite Robbie Farah, which resulted in teammate Mark Minichiello sin binned in Round 18.

He was nabbed by referees in Round 2 against Souths, given a 10 minute rest for pulling the leg of a Rabbitohs player in a tackle.

"For some unknown reason I seem to be in a few at present," said Friend.

"I am not sure what it is.

"It might be the yellow head gear."

Asked if he would be changing his tenacious style, Friend said:

"Certainly not.

"I have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess."

Statistics show that the Titans have been slapped with the sin bin four times this season, the most out of any side in the finals hunt.

They are second only to the cellar dwelling Cowboys, who have made a late charge with three players binned in the past fortnight.

But while the Titans have lost four players to the bin this season, nearly half the teams in the competition have somehow escaped unscathed.

Frustrated coach Cartwright slammed the inconsistency of the sin bin rule and said he would speak with referees boss Robert Finch this week to discuss the matter.

"We have seen 100 incidents like that all year and then there is a sin bin and we lose one of our playmakers and they lose a back rower for something that they are all encouraged to do and that is get in and help their teammates out," said Cartwright.

"I will have a talk to Robert Finch there through the week just to try and get some clarification on that because it seems pretty inconsistent with what I have seen so far this year.

"I just wish they would get rid of it."

In the wake of a drama-filled clash, Titans centre Clinton Toopi will not pursue a biting claim against Cowboys second rower Scott Bolton.

North Queensland forward Dane Hogan is expected to be charged today for a dangerous throw on Gold Coast winger Kevin Gordon.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

To think we were going to lose this bloke at some stage.

Smash Farah in round 26 Friendy, the tosser deserves it all.

NATHAN FRIEND IS THE TITANS!

I just love how he plays.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    NATHAN FRIEND IS THE TITANS!

I just love how he plays.
    He is the one player we can't do with out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #itaintweaktospeak