Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Kenny-Dowall determined to put Titans to the sword again

THE reinvention of Shaun Kenny-Dowall from winger to world-class centre started in round 12 this year against Gold Coast Titans, who the Roosters face again tonight.

Kenny-Dowall's brilliant performances in the latter half of the season have made him a firm contender to partner Steve Matai in the centres for New Zealand later this year, and can be traced back to a breakthrough match at Skilled Park in May - also on a Monday night.

He scored two tries and broke eight tackles as the Roosters won 30-16 and was instantly a new player.

''In the latter half of the season I have been really happy with my form and I have learned from my mistakes in the early games,'' said Kenny-Dowall, who had played on the wing for most of his NRL career.

For the first 10 games of the season Kenny-Dowall had scored three tries. Following a round 11 bye and some home truths on the video screen, he began his impressive charge against the Titans.

From that match to date, Kenny-Dowall has crossed for 11 tries, made nine line breaks, and run for more than 100 metres in seven games - twice breaching 200 metres in 80 minutes.

''It is definitely a lot different to the wing, in defence and attack,'' he said. ''I just try to do my best for the Roosters and see what happens at the end of the year [with Test selection].

''I worked really hard on my transition to centre; I've had to do a lot of work to adjust to it.

''I want to stand up in the games coming up and really perform well.''

The Titans will be looking to contain Kenny-Dowall more effectively tonight at the Sydney Football Stadium than they did 12 weeks ago but have already suffered a blow with fullback Preston Campbell ruled out through injury. Jordan Atkins will come into the side on the wing, with William Zillman reverting to fullback.

Greg Bird will come off the bench as Titans coach John Cartwright retains his halves pairing of Scott Prince and Mat Rogers, and said he had not decided how to use Bird for the rest of the season.

Cartwright dismissed the lack of interest from punters in his team.

Bookmakers have revealed that although the side is a contender for the minor premiership, to date they have fielded nearly double the money on Melbourne winning the title as the Titans - and no bets have been taken on the Storm since their salary cap cheating was exposed in April.

''I can't control any betting or what people think of our chances,'' Cartwright said. ''We know if we get all our little systems right it will be hard for any team to beat us.

''Form is a week-to-week thing; no one can time when they have a good run. You have got to believe in what you are doing.

''We are pretty well at full-strength; we believe in ourselves.''

The Roosters have lost two matches in a row and are at risk of missing out on the home semi-final they looked assured of a fortnight ago.

''We did create a fair few chances in those games - we just did not execute well,'' Kenny-Dowall said. ''That is what we have focused on this week and hopefully we can execute on the day.''

Cartwright's troops are well aware of the Roosters' desperation.

''They have lost a couple; no one wants to lose three games in a row going into the semi-finals,'' Cartwright said.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    Yeah I have them in a $5 multi with -
    Broncs 13+, Souths 7-12 & Geelong 1-39.

$820
    Well u have picked 3 losers so far i hope your last choice is right
    #itaintweaktospeak

Campbell out, Atkins in against Roosters
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans livewire Preston Campbell has been ruled out of tonight's clash against the Sydney Roosters with a hamstring injury.

Campbell suffered the injury at training on Friday and was unable to take the field for the team's final training run at Robina yesterday morning.

The loss of Campbell will see a re-shuffle of the Titans line-up with winger William Zillman shifting to fullback and Jordan Atkins promoted to the wing.

The Titans will be looking for their fifth straight win, which would help the club move one step closer towards sealing a top-four spot and guaranteeing their place in the finals.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 23-08-10 at 03:15 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Mini v Mini
    Jason Sintome

CLICK HERE TO LOAD VIDEO

It’s the ultimate in sibling rivalry, and feathers could fly as Mark Minichiello targets his older brother Anthony during tonight’s round 24 clash between the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans and the Sydney Roosters.

In scintillating form this season for the Titans scoring nine tries, Mark knows his brother will be there, trying his best to protect the Roosters try line from full back tonight should the Titans second rower break clear at any stage.

It’s the clash both families brace themselves for, a game when backyard rivalries are relived, but this time there are premiership points on the line.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

I have little doubt that Zilly will rise for the occasion tonight. Playing some consistent football has been doing him the world of good.

I wish I felt more confident going into this game, surely the boys want some revenge on the chickens after the drumming they put on us at Skilled.

Zillman has also got his speed back. Which is great to see.

Banned

the wing did zilly good, he caught some hard bombs against NZ, taga is 18th man but i think he would do ok again at centre and michaels at wing.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    the wing did zilly good, he caught some hard bombs against NZ, taga is 18th man but i think he would do ok again at centre and michaels at wing.
    Michaels is the best centre we have when Rogers is in the 6. No way I'd be moving him to the wing.

Roosters are pretty firm favourites for this but I think our forward pack can more than match it with them, and if we do dish it up to them up front for the full 80 minutes Prince can play them a turne and put it on for the fast men to put them away.

Their danger men are their hard running back rowers and centres but the key men for us are Bull, White, Hendo, Red, Mini and Boof. If those 6 lay the platform and get the go forward we can stay with them early and grind them out of it late as we have against the likes of Melbourne, Manly, NZ, Parra and St. George.

Any win would see us back in 2nd and any win by more than 2 points would see us increase our tiny margin on the Wests for and against.

I'm on the Titans to win at $2.45!

Whatever the combo they still should have that fire. S'posed to go out tonight but wouldn't concentrate away from the game. Canberra has helped get the minor prem in GCT sights too though St G fans say not possible. Have to stay positive, they are gonna win tonight.

Time for a little respect. Titans by 13. We beat the Roosters and we become a true finalist prospect.

How was Anasta not offside there?

Roosters first try was forward

What about that Mini intercept and then the Toopi counter attack! WOW

Goal line drop out for us! Let's go boys!

Looking good. Respect.

Fantastic try to Bodene Thompson scooping up the ball from 10 out. The Southern Legion goes mad! Scott Prince converts 16-10! 58th minute.