Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    prince used 2 kick 2 atkins all da time n he scored heaps of prince kicks n wen delanee use 2 pass da ball n stuff i thort u'd lyk him cus he got 4 trys on dayboo
    that was only in his 1st game
    lol

LOL @ Ryan.

I don't want to see Rogers moved and Im sure Carty won't, as Coaster says, we have the core team, only replace because of injuries.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Laffranchi happy to prop up Gold Coast

Gold Coast star Anthony Laffranchi admits he'd rather stay at second row, but says he's prepared to move to prop if it means accommodating Greg Bird in the NRL club's starting side.

The Test and NSW State of Origin representative is one of the game's best back-rowers, however Laffranchi was moved up front for the Wests Tigers under similar circumstances in the 2005 grand final.

Coach John Cartwright, whose finals-bound Titans face the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium on Monday night, faces a selection headache over how to combine his strongest side.

Advertisement: Story continues belowBird is expected to make his return from a hamstring injury against the Roosters, and named on the bench.

Before his month-long layout Bird was playing five-eighth, but the superb form of Mat Rogers in his absence has almost guaranteed the retiring veteran won't be moved out of the halves.

This could see for the former Cronulla star to move to lock where he starred for NSW in the third Origin match.

However, for that to happen Cartwright would have to break apart his tried and tested backrow of Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison.

Laffranchi said he doesn't envy the position Cartwright is in, and happy to give his coach some advice on what to do with Bird.

"I'm sure the water bottles might need to be filled every now and then so Birdy might find a job there, or I keep telling him (to move) up into the front row!" joked Laffranchi.

"We have got a pretty stable back row there with Mini, Harro and myself and we've got a really good combination going, and Matty is playing too good to move him out of No.6 ... but it's a good position to be in.

"When you've got the calibre of Birdy trying to force his way into the team, it's only going to put pressure on guys like myself and bring the best out of everyone."

Laffranchi said he'll do whatever's best for the team and can take confidence from having previous big-time experience at prop.

"It's exactly the same position I was in with the Tigers. We had Mark O'Neill injured and he came back and to make way for him I moved up to the front row.

"I've done it before and my role hasn't changed too much and if that was the case and for the best of the team, then definitely.

"I'd prefer to stay in the No.11 and keep doing what I've been doing in my career here on the Coast, but if I move up the beauty is you bring an Origin player like Greg Bird into the back row which is only going to help."

http://news.smh.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Six weeks to win test jersey

ANDREW Johns has thrown up Roosters star Todd Carney as the Kangaroos' halfback wildcard for this year's Four Nations campaign.

With doubts over North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston, who is sidelined with foot and shoulder injuries, Carney could be one strong finals campaign from winning his first Australian jumper.

Johns says the Kangaroos No. 7 jersey could come down to a finals shootout between Roosters team-mates Mitchell Pearce and Carney and Gold Coast's Scott Prince.

The first shots in that battle will come tomorrow night when the Roosters face the Titans at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"In normal circumstances, Cooper Cronk would be next cab off the rank and will still be strongly considered," Johns said.

"But he has the disadvantage of not playing during the finals.

"If the likes of the Roosters or the Titans go on a big run during the finals series, you'd have to think it will be because their halfbacks will be really firing.

"Who is in form during the finals always counts for a lot when they're picking these sides.

"If the Roosters were to go all the way to the grand final, Pearce or even Carney could really put themselves in the picture. The same goes for Scotty Prince with the Titans if they can get on a roll.

"But JT [Thurston] is one of the toughest players around. If he says he is going to be right by then, I wouldn't be ruling him out."

Carney and Pearce refuse to let the lure of a Test jumper derail their finals focus with the Roosters.

But Carney has attracted the attention of the right people for the right reasons this year.

"The thing with Carney is that he's shown he can play one, six and seven. He's an asset," one national selector told The Sunday Telegraph.

Carney admits a Test spot would be a dream come true. "I'd love to be a part of it, but there's a long way to go," he said.

Pearce, who played game three for NSW this year, claims it would be selfish of him to even consider the notion of a Test jumper.

"My mind is on this week and working hard with these boys to make the finals," he said.

"It's selfish to be thinking about anything but your team's finals chances."

Pearce said the 10-day turnaround from last week's shock loss to Cronulla has allowed the Roosters to reset their focus.

"I want to make these last couple of weeks and into the finals my best part of the season, because that's when your team needs you and that's why you get picked in first grade, to play well in these games," he said.

"I'm taking that as a little challenge. The last two losses have been disappointing, but it makes you get those nerves back in your guts again."

Pearce said he was eagerly awaiting the contest against Prince, which could be an entree to another head-to-head battle in the finals.

"I'm looking forward to playing Scotty Prince," he said. "Scott Prince is a great player and has been for a long time. I always liked watching him at the Tigers and obviously the Titans. They're always great attacking sides and he's one that we have to stop this week."

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Presto is having an MRI tomorrow & could be out for a few weeks
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

raiders beat dragons like i thought, so now if we win against roosters we are 2 points behind, and the knights @ energy australia with everything to play for against the dragons could see us go level

We really need you on deck for the Finals Preston! Hope you are ok.

What reserves do you pick if Lafrancri moves to the front row?

You have nearly all 80 min players in the side.

Interesting, nearly want some short stint thug, like Moi Moi, Myers maybe and Bodine, Tagatese, and another front rower
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan Airlie Beach Titan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Presto is having an MRI tomorrow & could be out for a few weeks
    That's some troubling news if true. I just don't think Zilly has what it takes at fullback in the crunch matches..

Quote Originally Posted by Airlie Beach Titan View Post
    That's some troubling news if true. I just don't think Zilly has what it takes at fullback in the crunch matches..
    He may lack the spark and genius of presto in the number 1..but hes very solid and wont let us down.

The salary cap forces semi final type of matches earlier, every year in the NRL and this will be an interesting game to watch...and it's not only for positions on the ladder.
    If Titans drop one of their last three...it's a good chance these two teams may meet each other come first semi final.

Presto out as Titans prepare for Chooks

TITANS fullback Preston Campbell has been ruled out of the Gold Coast's big away clash against the Sydney Roosters tomorrow night with a hamstring injury.

Campbell suffered the injury at a team training session on Friday and had not recovered in time to fly out of Coolangatta with the rest of the side this afternoon.

Winger William Zillman will shift to fullback, with off-contract leaper Jordan Atkins to line up on the flank for just his second first grade game of the season.

Big back rower Sam Tagataese will travel as 18th man.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Prince set for battle royale on two fronts

THE race is on for a top-four berth in the NRL, and Scott Prince is ready to lead the way as the Gold Coast Titans tackle the Sydney Roosters tonight in a game which could have a huge bearing on finals positions.

For Prince, the race to the finals is only part of the picture, the Gold Coast skipper also bidding for a return to the Test arena remains on the cards at the end of the season.

With doubts over North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston, who is sidelined with foot and shoulder injuries, Prince is well placed to make a play for the Kangaroos No.7 jumper.

But he is facing direct competition from Roosters halves Mitchell Pearce and even Todd Carney, who was tossed up as a possible bolter by former Australian halfback Andrew Johns at the weekend.

Titans spiritual leader Chris 'Choppy' Close believes Prince has proved he is the man to lead the Gold Coast all the way to the grand final after rediscovering his dominant best.

The form halfback of the competition, Prince has put a sluggish start to the season behind him with sensational performances against the Eels and Cowboys over the past fortnight as the club bears down on its second-consecutive finals berth.

''To be a good leader, the first thing you have to do is be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get involved yourself,'' said Maroons great Close.

''At the moment that is what Scotty is doing.

''There has probably been times where he has tried to lead from afar but that doesn't work.

''It doesn't give confidence to the players and they don't want to follow you.

''But at this point in time, his leadership is spot on.''

Maroons great Close believes Prince has returned to the scintillating style that saw him win the last of his representative jerseys for Queensland and Australia in 2008.

''There are a couple of things that have happened,'' said Close.

''His kicking game has become spot on and he is running the ball, which creates a lot of doubt in the minds of the opposition.

''With everything that has happened to him this year, there have been some major distractions off the field and it is a credit to him that he has got himself into the position he has to be leading the team the way he is.''

As part of his role with the Titans, foundation Gold Coast Giants player Close is the man charged with bringing a sense of pride and history to the fresh NRL franchise.

He is a fixture in the dressing sheds before every game, using his passion to fire up players, instilling confidence and offering words of wisdom.

''I was involved with the team at this stage last year and I felt that they needed to improve by about 25 per cent to be a grand final contender,'' said Close.

''This year there is no doubt in my mind that they can win this competition.

''There is not a team in the NRL that they can't beat.

''One thing different this year to last year is that they are a much tougher outfit.

''It comes from John Cartwright's coaching and is a culmination of his four years in the job and bringing that culture to the team and refining it to the stage it is.

''When you start to believe in yourself, your level of performance really skyrockets and I think this team this year really believes in themselves and each other.

''They are great things to have as a team going into a grand final situation.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 23-08-10 at 02:52 AM.

Roosters star runs a fine line

IN FOOTYSPEAK it's known as the courage line.

The tunnel-vision charge that nine times out of 10 ends with a crunching blindside tackle.

But, as Mitchell Aubusson knows, there's nothing sweeter than popping out the other side.

And when it comes to splitting NRL defences, the lightweight Roosters back-rower has emerged as one of the most potent attacking weapons in the NRL this year.

Forget the Eels' Jarryd Hayne and the Panthers' Michael Jennings, no one can match Aubusson's strike rate at splitting the line, with the 22-year-old involved in a linebreak less than every nine touches of the ball.

It's a forward strike rate that puts the Ballina junior in the rarefied company of Manly great Steve Menzies.

And as Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce raves, it all comes down to his willingness to put his 94kg frame on the chopping block - and a freakish ability to read his ballplayers.

"For a back-rower he's not a massive guy, but the amount of tries he's scored running that hard line ... I don't think there's any other player that's done that," Pearce said.

"He's always hit that great hole so maybe for him it comes natural, but it takes a lot of toughness to put your body on the line and Aubbo does it constantly.

"As a ball player Toddy [Carney] and I love going to him."

Switched from centre to the back-row this year, Aubusson has been a revelation for Roosters coach Brian Smith, leading the NRL with the most linebreaks for a forward (14).

His combination with Pearce, Carney and Shaun Kenny-Dowall has been a feature of the Roosters' free-wheeling attack.

And the blond flyer admits he's relishing the chance to feed off the playmakers, as well as Roosters captain Braith Anasta.

"These guys are freaks and just to be a part of that is unreal," he said. "They are doing a lot of the hard work for me and I'm just sort of feeding off the back of it a bit."

A back-rower as a junior, Aubusson played 56 NRL games at centre or off the bench before Smith spoke to him in the pre-season about a move to the forwards this year.

And although he is again back at centre to cover for the loss of rookie Kane Linnett for tonight's clash with the Gold Coast Titans, he's adamant the Roosters can end the two-game losing streak that threatens to derail their top-four aspirations.

The match will play a pivotal role in deciding the final make-up of the eight, with the Titans and Roosters both gunning for a home final.

For Aubusson, it means making up for the "embarrassment" of last year's wooden spoon and also another shot at finals football after being bundled out in 2008 with back-to-back defeats.

And the Ballina Seagulls junior says the roller-coaster of the past two seasons has been a factor behind the Roosters' revival - along with the obvious factors of Todd Carney's signing and Brian Smiths appointment.

"Smithy has come in and given the boys a lot of self-confidence and you can just see by the way they are playing," he said. "But after last year I think a lot of the boys had a good look in the mirror at themselves and said, 'We can't do that again because it's just not acceptable'. And to our credit we've bounced back and some of the boys are playing the best footy of their life."

Quizzed about his own form and ability to crack the defence, Aubusson says he has tried to model his game on Menzies.

But he's also quick to deflect the accolades to Pearce, Carney and Anasta - even if means a barrage of body-jarring hits.

"You've got to have a bit of guts to run that line because half the time you are going to get hit pretty hard and blindsided too so there's a bit of that that comes into it," he said.

"But if you can get your head around that, then the pros definitely outweigh the cons."

Source: http://www.thedailytelegraph.com.au