Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    who is going to this game, im gonna go but not to sure where you sit at the sfs
    Round 24: Roosters v Titans (7:00pm Monday 23 August ? Sydney Football Stadium)

Tickets available from Ticketek.com.au: Bay 38 ? General Admission
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Roosters v Titans
    Monday 7pm Sydney Football Stadium

Who wants a home final? Anyone? Brian Smith? do you want one? John Cartwright? how about you?

Monday night football brings us a cracking finish to the round as these two sides look to turn their finals berths (Titans certain, Roosters still a teeny chance of missing out) into top-four positions.

The Titans have even higher aspirations, as they currently sit in second place and while the chances of catching the Dragons for the minor premiership are slim, they are in a differential dogfight with the Wests Tigers for the second rung on the ladder ? and with it, a certain second bite of the cherry in finals football.

Three wins from three would mean only the Tigers, doing the same but by better margins (they are currently just one differential point behind), could rob them.

Even still, just two more wins would probably secure a top-four spot and a home final.

On the other side of the coin a loss here for the Gold Coast could see them slide to sixth ? and heading towards the danger end of the top eight.

Greg Bird and Michael Henderson have been added to the bench for this clash after last week?s win over North Queensland, with Aaron Cannings out.

The Roosters had a slip-up against the Sharks last week, putting their top-two chances in jeopardy, but they can still grab the coveted spot should they prove triumphant over the next three weeks.

At the very least, currently in fifth, the Roosters know a win here will put them into the top four as it will ensure they leapfrog the Titans.

Another loss, however, could put them back as far as seventh and fighting for their survival in the final rounds with games to come against the Sea Eagles and Cowboys.

Mitchell Aubusson is due back from injury in the centres, meaning Johnathan Ford will miss out, while Lopini Paea has been added as an extra on the bench.

The Titans can equal their NRL record of five consecutive wins with a victory.

Watch out Roosters: The Gold Coast are making sensational metres this season, part of the reason they are running second.

With 1403 metres gained per match across the ground, the Titans are giving Scott Prince great field position from which he can launch their attacks. This is a good deal better than the Roosters? average of 1286 metres.

Both teams are pretty good in kick metres but the Roosters still lag behind the Titans 543 metres to 603 metres.

Five Titans players average over 100 metres a game, led by prop Luke Bailey at 131 metres. Greg Bird (103), Kevin Gordon (112), Anthony Laffranchi (106) and Mark Minichiello (100) join him in triple figures.

Five Roosters also boast triple figures, in Shaun Kenny Dowell (125), Anthony Minichiello (115), Sam Perrett (121), Nate Myles (112) and Jason Ryles (104). The difference is the Titans? forwards are doing more work than their Roosters counterparts. The Roosters? pack needs to get dirty and get the hard yards done before the team relies on its flair.

Watch out Titans: Speaking of flair, the Roosters have the potential to provide plenty thanks mainly to the combination of Mitchell Pearce and Todd Carney.

These guys may have misfired a little against the Sharks but you only needed to watch them warm up at training to see how crisp their skills are and how determined they are to get things back on track this Monday night.

If you ever have the pleasure of watching a Roosters training session you?ll see these two running across the ground, 20 metres apart, chatting away while passing bullet balls onto each other?s chests. They track up and down the field, passing left to right and right to left as if it were nothing at all, hitting the target with precision every time. It is this skill which should have the Titans scared, as it enables the Roosters to snap the ball from one side of the field to the other in two quick, crisp, perfect passes to create or exploit an overlap. Somehow the Gold Coast boys need to cut down their time and decision-making otherwise this pair will destroy them.

Where it will be won: Goal-line attack and defence will decide this match. Both sides have a real problem defending their line and need to get tougher if they are to compete heavily for the premiership. The Titans have conceded a disappointing (and worrying) 40 tries from 0-10 metres this year, one of the worst teams in the league, but the Roosters aren?t much better, conceding 38. Somehow they must muscle up more with their backs against the wall because soft tries simply cannot be permitted.

Thankfully for the Titans they are one of the best teams in the NRL at scoring from close range, with 39 tries for the year. The Roosters, however, have just 30 ? better than just the Eels when it comes to teams still in finals contention. They prefer to attack from a little further back.

The history: Played 5; Roosters 2, Titans 3. The Roosters won the first and last match between these two clubs, with three Titans wins sandwiched in between.

Earlier this season the Roosters inflicted a 30-16 result on the Titans ? by far the biggest margin between the teams ever recorded. Just six, four, four and four points decided the other matches.

The teams have played twice at the SFS, with the honours shared one apiece.

Conclusion: Let?s call last week?s game against the Sharks an anomaly and therefore give the Roosters favouritism here. If they return to the form of the previous five weeks, they have the guns to the bring down the Titans but if they execute poorly again and turn up with obvious complacency, they?ll get rolled and their place in the finals will start to be questioned once more.

It must be said thought that the Titans are looking more and more impressive at times; they could easily continue the Roosters? misery.

Match officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger & Steve Lyons; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy & David Abood; Video Ref ? Steve Clark

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7pm.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans booster for the Roosters

TITANS Michael Henderson and Greg Bird have been named to tackle the Sydney Roosters on Monday at the SFS after missing last week's win over North Queensland through illness and injury respectively.

Prop Henderson and five-eighth/back rower Bird were included on the bench, at the expense of Aaron Cannings and Ben Ridge, who has been named 18th man.

Bird has been missing from the Titans line up since tearing his hamstring against the Broncos four and a half weeks ago.

He was pencilled in to return against the Cowboys on Saturday, but was rubbed out on the eve of the match after failing to prove his fitness.

Coach John Cartwright is confident the NSW Origin representative will take his place against the Roosters.

''He is looking a lot freer in his actions this week so he should be right,'' he said.

Henderson, who has been battling a virus, declared himself a certain starter.

''I just needed the week off to get over it and still the boys had a good win, so hopefully we can come back this week and have another win,'' said Henderson.

''I just couldn't shake it, it ran me down a bit and Carty thought it was for the best that I had a week off.

''I lost a couple of kilos up to 3kg but a couple of training sessions and a bit of food, I'm sure it'll be back on.''

If the second-placed Titans can axe the fifth-placed Roosters at the SFS, they will go a long way to securing a home final.

The Titans have won three of the five games between the two clubs since 2007, including one of their greatest victories, which came at the SFS in 2008.

On that occasion the Gold Coast triumphed 32-28 without skipper Scott Prince and half their forward pack missing.

''It is a big test,'' said Cartwright.

''It is a hard place to play at the SFS, depending on what sort of crowd you get and the Monday night football.

''There are a few challenges there.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Banned

shaun kenny dowall, mose masoe, todd carney, jake friend, frank paul nausala, jared whereva hargraves,, minnichello so many strike weapons

Default Tough Titan ready to take flight

Tough Titan ready to take flight

TITANS enforcer Greg Bird has declared himself a certain starter against the Sydney Roosters on Monday night after falling short in his comeback against the Cowboys last week.

Bird, who has battled a hamstring tear for the past month, was set to return against North Queensland before being ruled out on the eve of Saturday's victory at Skilled Park.

The NSW State of Origin representative has again been named on the bench and this time says he is 100 per cent ready to play.

''I was trying to get back last week but I could still feel it, it was still quite tight,'' said Bird.

''I probably could have played. But with hamstrings, you are better off giving it that extra week and making sure you don't re-injure it.

''I am 100 per cent now.''

No panic, insist Roosters

The Sydney Roosters insist there is no panic in the camp after last weekend's shock loss to Cronulla and a looming Monday night battle with in-form Gold Coast.

The Roosters were the NRL's form side a fortnight ago before losses to ladder leaders St George Illawarra in a draining Sunday afternoon SCG battle and then the struggling Sharks last Friday.

They will run into a Titans outfit in ominous form after four straight wins and halfback Scott Prince returning to his brilliant best.

"We're not playing dreadful football at the moment but, to where we can be, it's not as good so we've definitely got to go back and rethink things," Roosters forward Nate Myles told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's the business end of the year and it was a bit of a disappointing loss for us on the weekend.

"A win would have made things a lot easier but, in saying that, we're not out of the shot at all and we're looking forward to that clash on Monday.

"We knew a win last week would have made things a little bit easier but we've put the pressure on ourselves and now our boys are up for a big game because we need one really."

Myles said ball control and, surprisingly, predictability were issues for Brian Smith's side.

"I don't think we're really controlling our football at the moment, we tend to be going to one thing too much and it's not working for us so we need to mix our game-plan up a bit and obviously defence is another big thing for us," Myles said.

"Some of our last passes didn't stick on the weekend and it would have been very helpful if they did, but we're pretty fortunate with the fact we've got three pretty good ball-players.

"With the big turnaround, you get to throw a few more sessions in there which is what we need."

Myles said the Roosters would have more on their plates than just Prince.

"I don't think you can pay too much attention to any one player in that side, they've got attack across the board so stop everyone is the best way to do it," he said.

The Roosters on Wednesday launched their Stick With It program, which encourages indigenous children in the Dubbo area to read, exercise and eat healthy food.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

If we get our fair share of penalties from the ref's in this match we will win. Pretty big if though.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Titans can find another gear, says Mini

BACK rower Mark Minichiello believes the Titans can still kick up another 'couple gears' in the run to the finals.

The Titans clash with top-four rivals the Sydney Roosters on Monday night and Minichiello said a win over the tri-colours was crucial for the club to maintain their momentum.

The second-placed Titans are on a four-game winning streak, while the Roosters have slid to fifth after back-to-back losses.

''We have been playing really well as a team and playing for each other,'' he said.

''Once we come to semi-finals time everything will lift again and I think we have definitely got a couple of gears to go.

''I am looking forward to playing in that series and seeing how good we can get.''

Adding spice to the encounter, Minichiello will line up against older brother and Roosters fullback Anthony, looking for a bit of payback after Sydney toppled the Titans at Skilled Park in Round 12.

''They got us up here, so hopefully we can go down there and get them,'' he said.

''They have been playing pretty well.

''Hopefully we can stop them and get a good win and continue our good form.''

Henderson and Ryles to meet again

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Michael Henderson will walk down memory lane when he clashes with close former teammate Jason Ryles at the SFS on Monday night.

After missing last weekend?s win over the North Queensland Cowboys with a virus, Henderson will make his return for the Jetstar Titans when they travel to Sydney to take on the Sydney Roosters on Monday night.

The clash will see him locking horns with former St George Illawarra teammate Jason Ryles, who spent nine years with the Dragons between 2000 and 2008 while Henderson was making a name for himself as a young prop.

?I hope he has a good game but loses this week?, joked Henderson.

?Rylesy?s most definitely a clown and a big kid but he?s a good fella and he?s had a great career.

?He was about 24 when I got there and I was a 17-year-old kid. We had some good times but it seems like light years ago now.

?It?s a very important game for both clubs and we need to be on our game?.

Having secured second spot on the NRL ladder after last weekend?s win over the Cowboys, the Jetstar Titans are looking to continue their momentum with just three rounds of the regular season remaining.

While their opponents have slipped to fifth spot on the ladder after losing their last their last two matches, Henderson said he was prepared for a desperate Roosters side on Monday night.

?I think they?re coming off a couple of losses so they?ll be desperate and a desperate side are a dangerous side,?? he said.

?You know it only takes one game to get you back into form and as you can see with us, so we?re just going to have to be on our game.

?Everyone was writing us off and I guess their coping a little bit in Sydney, so they?ll be out to prove a point this weekend.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Mini ups ante in sibling rivalry
    nrl.com
    Not since their backyard footy days has the rivalry between the NRL's Minichiello brothers been so fierce.

Which is saying something - Gold Coast second rower Mark Minichiello admits "everything" became a competition when he was growing up with Sydney Roosters fullback and big brother Anthony in Sydney's west.

But Mark reckons the stage is set for the sibling rivalry to go up a notch when Anthony's Chooks host his Titans at the SFS on Monday night.

Certainly Mark Minichiello has done his bit, cheekily claiming the Roosters No.1 was not back to his best despite a stirring comeback from "horrific" back injuries.

And while Mark can't hide his admiration for the way Anthony overcame chronic back complaints, it won't stop him testing out his brother's fitness on Monday night.

"There is always a little bit (rivalry). I don't go looking for him unless he comes my way, then I try to give it to him - I would probably go over the top (of him)," Mark Minichiello laughed.

Asked about Anthony's form, baby brother said: "He's dangerous, but I wouldn't say he is back to his best form."

Before adding: "He has had some horrific injuries with his back, but he is playing terrific footy.

"I think he has got plenty of years left in him. I think the injury has prolonged his career.

"I am not sure if it (representative football) is a goal of his - he's achieved everything in the game.

"I think he is just happy playing rugby league. If you knew the extent of his injuries, probably most players wouldn't be playing again.

"I think he has done exceptionally well to get back and play as well as he is."

But that's where the love-in ended.

Gold Coast's `Mini' claimed the Titans wanted to use the Roosters as a stepping stone to an NRL home final, before they go up "a couple of gears".

For once the two teams meet in what can legitimately be called a heavyweight clash - second-placed Titans tackle the fifth-placed Roosters with a top four place up for grabs.

Last year's wooden spooners, the Roosters have missed the finals in four of the past five seasons but appear to have regrouped under coach Brian Smith despite a last round hiccup against the Sharks.

"It (loss) is probably a good thing for them to get that little shake up (before the finals) but hopefully we can overcome that," said Minichiello junior of the Roosters.

"They are going well but so are we.

"We have been playing for each other, and come semi-finals time everything lifts again - we have definitely got a couple of gears to go.

"I am looking forward to seeing how good we can get."

While Mark looks forward to getting bragging rights over Anthony in front of their family - the truth is their relatives will "wear neutral colours" - and not all of them will be there.

Mark's new-born son Luca has only just come home with mum Milena and will remain on the tourist strip with his grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    shaun kenny dowall, mose masoe, todd carney, jake friend, frank paul nausala, jared whereva hargraves,, minnichello so many strike weapons
    Kenny and Carney are the only strike weapons out of that list.

They have nothing on the Titans

QLD Cup Titan

Will be getting results for this game via SMS courtesy of family as we are off on hols this weekend. Lucky for me - the 2 weekends we are away are both away games so won't be missing any home matches thankgoodness :-) Hope the boys do a great job on the roosters and sharks over the next 2 weeks and looking forward to cheering them on in the final round in a few weeks time!!!
    Lets go titans!!!!

Thinking of putting a bit of money on the Titans to win - they're at $2.35

Titans better placed this time around: Laffranchi

The Gold Coast Titans are using the pain of last year’s quick-fire exit from the finals series as their motivation to maintain the rage over the final three weeks of the season – starting with Sydney Roosters this Monday night.

Still smarting after finishing the 2009 regular season in third only to bow out with consecutive finals losses to Brisbane and Parramatta, the Titans are keen to make amends this time around and continue an impressive run that has seen them move up to second on the NRL ladder with three games remaining.

And while this week’s clash with the Roosters looms as a danger game for the Queenslanders, back-rower Anthony Laffranchi believes his side is better equipped to make a run for the title in 2010.

“We learnt a lot from last year,” Laffranchi told NRL.com. “It was disappointing to bow out in ‘straight sets’.

“We got touched up the week before by Manly as well (38-4) so we’re conscious that momentum is a big thing. From personal experience, when you’ve got momentum at this time of year it’s hard to stop that roll.

“Looking back, it was a big relief for the club to get to the semis for the first time and maybe we dropped our intensity a bit. We were a bit shell-shocked early by those teams in the semi finals.

“But I think if we get there, and when we get there, this year you’ll see a different Titans side heading into the finals.”

More importantly, Laffranchi believes the Gold Coast – who will notch their fifth successive win should they defeat the Roosters – are far healthier heading into this year’s finals series.

Battered by injuries at the business end of the recent seasons, this time around they boast a fit and firing squad bolstered by the recent return from injury of veteran five-eighth Mat Rogers.

“I think we’re a better side,” Laffranchi said. “The squad is healthy, which is always a good sign.

“Last year was a real learning curve for everyone as well – especially the younger guys. So I do think we’re in a better position but there are still three games to go.

“We’re not there yet and we can’t be thinking about September too far ahead.

“We’ve got a very big game on Monday night and I think his will go down as a real pivotal game in our season leading into the finals.”

It’s been quite the turnaround for the Titans, who only a month ago were in danger of slipping out of the top eight altogether but now find themselves amongst the front-runners following impressive wins over St George Illawarra, the Warriors, Parramatta and North Queensland.

While top four rivals Wests Tigers stopped the rot last weekend after a soul-searching camp in Kiama, Laffranchi said the Gold Coast hadn’t needed any such action.

“We always knew what we needed to do – we just needed to do it for 80 minutes,” the 29-year-old said.

“There was no great secret we needed to unlock – we didn’t change anything too much.

“Obviously we got together as a team as every team does, but it was just sticking to the basics right through the whole game.

“You probably look back at the Dragons game (which the Titans won 11-10) and although we only won by a point, we were able to stick to our structure for the entire 80 minutes.

“I think that was an important win for us because it showed us that ‘Hey, we can do it’.

“We’ve got a lot of belief here now.”

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Sportal Preview: Roosters v Titans

VENUE & TIME: Sydney Football Stadium, Mon, August 23, 7.05pm (AEST)
    COVERAGE: Fox Sports
    HEAD TO HEAD: Played 23 ? Roosters 18, Titans 5.
    LAST TIME: Round 12, 2010 ? Roosters 30-16.

WALKING WOUNDED: Gold Coast have no fresh injury concerns and field the same line-up that downed the Cowboys last week. The Roosters get Joseph Leilua back. He replaces Lopini Paea on the bench.

FORM: It was all going so smoothly for the Roosters a fortnight ago. They had won five in a row before the Dragons stopped them in their tracks at the SCG. Coach Brian Smith warned his side to be wary of Cronulla the following week but they weren't listening. For the second time this year, the Chooks went down to their 'banana skin' bogey side. As a result, the Tricolours have slipped to fifth on the ladder and could finish Round 24 in eighth spot if they lose here. No such dramas for the Titans, who are four wins in a row and counting. There is renewed respect for John Cartwright's men following their unbeaten month. Some are even predicting a grand final berth, especially if they can hold on to a top-two position.

WHO'S HOT: They were calling Jake Friend, Jake 'Friendless' after he was punted by the Roosters last year and went to work in a sandwich shop. After seemingly getting his act together off the field, the busy No.9 was ushered back into the NRL and has been great value for the Roosters. Apart from averaging around 36 tackles a game, Friend is a lively customer around the ruck, providing good service to the three ball-players in the Chooks' line-up. Steve Michaels has been the buy of the year according to John Cartwright. A bit OTT perhaps, but there is no doubt the ex-Bronco has been a great pick up. Unwanted by Brisbane, Michaels returned home to the 'Goldie' mid-season and has been a revelation in the centres. He's scored four tries in four games and threw the final pass for two 'meaties' in the win over North Queensland. The Titans have not lost a game since the speedy Michaels joined them.

WE THINK: This is a big, big test for Brian Smith's men. Their loss to the Dragons was going to be tolerable as long as they backed up to beat the lowly Sharks the week after. They didn't, so the pressure is mounting. The Titans are on a great roll and playing away holds no great fears for them these days. This match will be determined around the scrumbase. Prince and Rogers up against Pearce and Anasta. The visitors may just have enough class to get there.Titans by 2

TEAMS:

Roosters: Anthony Minichiello, Phil Graham, Mitchell Aubusson, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Perrett, Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce, Jason Ryles, Jake Friend, Daniel Conn, Frank Paul Nuuausala, Nate Myles, Braith Anasta [c].
    Interchange: Martin Kennedy, Mose Masoe, Joseph Leilua, Nick Kouparitsas, Lopini Paea (one to be omitted).

Titans: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Steve Michaels, Clinton Toopi, William Zillman, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince [c], Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.
    Interchange: Michael Henderson, Brad Meyers, Greg Bird, Bodene Thompson, Ben Ridge (one to be omitted).

Source: http://www.sportal.com.au