Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Sharks just beat the Roosters.

That result should prove to our players beyond any doubt that simply turning up will not equal a win.

We have to show the same intensity we have showed for the last month and get the job done.

I am so nervous about this game it is ridiculous and it is going to be hard to enjoy it - especially if it gets close. I don't care if it is ugly to watch - I just want to get 2 points.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    The Sharks just beat the Roosters.

That result should prove to our players beyond any doubt that simply turning up will not equal a win.

We have to show the same intensity we have showed for the last month and get the job done.

I am so nervous about this game it is ridiculous and it is going to be hard to enjoy it - especially if it gets close. I don't care if it is ugly to watch - I just want to get 2 points.
    Mate I can ease your nerves.

Titans will bend the Cowboys early and they will break by half time allowing Prince and his merry men to ease to the final whistle comfortably ahead by 18

I'm waiting at Yeronga station in Briabane with Goatus. See you at the game! Go Titans!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

really bad 10-15 minute period there for the titans like preston said but the rest of the game was pretty good for us. it really should have been titans 43-0 in a perfect game

Not sure what Gordon was doing not contesting those kicks that led to tries but a pretty good win. I would've loved for us to finally break the 40 point seal, but three or four botched opportunities means we'll have to wait another week to get to forty. The sin bins were a joke and probably cost us around +20 in the for and against column.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Banned

i dont think well get 40 against the roosters, maybe the sharks or the tigers since they both have leaky defenses

Excellent win ... Gordon, in particular, and Zillman seemed to clock-off and that is a really worrying sign. Friend putting one on LoD was a classic though.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

That win was good enough. 14000 was a very disappointing crowd for a visit from a fellow QLD team and there didn't seem to be the usual buzz around the place which probably translated to a pretty slow opening.

Even at 19-18 though I wasn't worried and that is testament to the stability and toughness of our team. The Cowboys are not an 80 minute team and all we had to do was wait until they went off the boil and put them away.

Mission accomplished.

QLD Cup Titan

Nice to see the boys notch up their 4th win in a row. Was a bit messy in some parts which allowed the cowgirls to catch up a bit but once we knuckled back down we were all over them. Great to see Michaels having some good games and playing well. Crowd numbers were VERY disappointing - maybe because the cowboys aren't doing so well many supporters didn't turn up???? Who knows. Legion of course was loud and proud and so glad to be part of it!!!!! Big game next week against the roosters - where hopefully Bird will be fit and ready to fly again and make an impact - off the bench?? if he's named there. THink its fitting we will have our BIRD back against the roosters.
    Great to see Friend get a try tonight - he always works so hard so great to see him get rewarded with a four pointer - oh and a bit of biff never goes astray. We had some whistle happy refs tonight but all in all - another great win by our boys!!!

I too was hoping to break that 40 barrier that eludes us but I'm sure it will come.........

Banned

where does taga come back in for us.....

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Why am I reading we broke the 40 mark wen it 37-18??
    Not on here in papers nd ect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    Why am I reading we broke the 40 mark wen it 37-18??
    Not on here in papers nd ect.
    what paper?

Broncos reject Michaels stars as Titans close in on home final

Gold Coast 37 North Queensland 18

GOLD COAST coach John Cartwright has hailed mid-season recruit Steve Michaels as the NRL buy of the year after the former Bronco starred last night.

Unwanted by Brisbane this season, Michaels scored two tries and set up two others to help ensure a topsy-turvy victory against North Queensland at Skilled Park. The Titans' fourth straight win puts them in second spot on the NRL ladder and shores up a likely home final in the play-offs.

On the flipside of the Queensland derby, the 14th-placed Cowboys fell to a third loss in a row and appear to have Luke O'Donnell sidelined for the rest of the season. North Queensland coach Neil Henry feared O'Donnell had played his last game in the NRL after limping off with a strained knee ligament in the second half.

Sent packing by the Broncos after he lost the confidence of coach Ivan Henjak, Michaels stamped himself as a back-line rock for the Titans in only his fifth game.

The Gold Coast-born centre impressed alongside Preston Campbell and Mark Minichiello in an entertaining clash which hung in the balance midway through the second half.

Michaels's first try and a Scott Prince field goal had the Titans buzzing at half-time with a 19-0 lead.

But the Cowboys came out a completely different side after the break to storm back to within a point with three converted tries in 16 minutes.

It was the 23-year-old three-quarter and livewire fullback Campbell who steadied the Gold Coast ship by laying on back-to-back tries for prop Luke Bailey and second-rower Minichiello to kill off the gallant visitors.

''[Michaels] is the buy of the year for anyone I think,'' Cartwright said.

''He's got it all for me, he's tough, he's a competitor and he does all the little things well. He's been a great get for us.''

While Michaels was the feel-good story of the Queensland derby, O'Donnell cut a dejected figure at the end of the game. The fiery NSW lock has signed with English club Huddersfield and Henry was less than optimistic about his likely prognosis. ''If it's a grade two [medial ligament strain] that would unfortunately be his last game for the club,'' the coach said.

GOLD COAST 37 (S Michaels 2 L Bailey N Friend M Minichiello S Prince tries S Prince 6 goals S Prince field goal) bt NORTH QUEENSLAND 18 (T Williams 2 A Watts tries J Williams 3 goals) at Skilled Park. Referee: Ashley Klein, Jason Robinson. Crowd: 14,032.

http://www.smh.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans make it four straight with win over Cowboys

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have made it four wins on the trot and sealed a finals berth with a tough and determined 37-18 victory against the North Queensland Cowboys at Skilled Park this evening.

In front of a crowd of 14,032, the Titans played a grinding semi-final type style of football lifting the intensity to come away with a strong victory off the back of quality performances from Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey and Steve Michaels who had his best game since joining the club this season.

The win moves the Titans into second spot on the NRL ladder on 30 competition points, however, that may change depending on results over the weekend.

Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright was happy with the patience and persistence his team showed tonight as they methodically scored six tries to the Cowboys three after establishing a 19-nil halftime lead.

“We created a lot of chances but they starved us of possession and really tested us for periods there this evening, it was a really professional effort by our guys,’’ said Cartwright.

“As a coach you are always searching for perfection and attitude wise we were there tonight, it was a danger game for us considering the results of the weekend so far where the under dogs have got up.

“We have set up a really good platform with three games to go and the attitude and commitment is just getting better week by week and if you keep working on the little things the results will come.”

The Titans led comfortably at halftime but the Cowboys got off to the perfect second half start as winger Ash Graham took the last tackle kick and then handed off to centre Ty Williams who scored in the corner.

John Williams nailed the conversion from the side line narrowing the gap to 19-6, 43 minutes in.

The game turned spiteful in the 46th minute as Nathan Friend and Luke O’Donnell were both sent to the sin-bin for throwing punches at the play the ball.

The Cowboys responded as Arana Taumata put in a perfectly timed grubber for Williams to claim his second try of the night.

John Williams again nailed the sideline conversion as the Cowboys were well and truly back in the contest at 19-12, in the 52nd minutes.

The Cowboys then received a piggy back penalty out of their own half as hooker Anthony Watts took full advantage as he dummied and scored from dummy half to score the softest of tries.

John Williams made it a perfect three from three as The Titans held on to a narrow 19-18 lead, with 22 minutes of play remaining.

Titans captain Scott Prince was impressed with some individual players who stepped up during the game with centre Steve Michaels getting a special mention.

“I was really excited once I found out he was coming to the club, he’s tough and has brought plenty of ability,'' said Prince.

“Our games now are all about momentum and when you gain it then its hard for the opposition to stop the flow.

“Once we had some possession we laid on some points and then all we had to do was grind away and take our opportunities as they presented themselves.”

The Titans muscled up as prop Luke Bailey ran a beautiful line at speed barging his way over for a rare try as Prince extended the lead to 25-18, 66 minutes in.

The Titans kept their foot on the accelerator with flyer Kevin Gordon combining with Michaels who threw a screamer of a pass to second rower Mark Minichiello for the home side's fifth try of the night.

Prince converted as the Titans got out to a good lead at 31-18 after 68 minutes.

The Titans stretched the tiring Cowboys defence as a simple three on two overlap saw Michaels in for his second try of the night as Prince nailed the conversion in the final seconds to complete the win.

Earlier, both teams struggled to find their rhythm until Prince dummied and sliced through untouched from first receiver.

He converted his own try giving the Titans a 6-0 lead, 23 minutes in.

Both teams failed to execute effective attacking options until Friend darted away from dummy half getting past some lazy defenders to score his first try of the season.

Prince converted extending the Titans lead to 12-0, in the 33rd minute.

The Titans capitalised off the back of a nasty Dane Hogan lifting tackle on Gordon in the 36th minute, with a perfectly timed grubber from Prince putting Michaels in for an 18-nil lead.

The Titans were almost in again as pint sized dynamo Preston Campbell broke away from the pack racing away to link up with a rampaging Anthony Laffranchi who was deemed to have been held up.

Prince then slotted a sneaky field goal to give his side a healthy 19-0 lead at half-time.

Gold Coast Titans 37 (S Prince, N Friend, S Michaels 2, L Bailey, M Minichiello tries Prince 6 goals and field goal) defeated the North Queensland Cowboys 18 (T Williams 2, A Watts tries; John Williams 3 goals).

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

LOL at the headline on Cowboys.com.au for their review of the game.

Titled "TITANS EDGE COWBOYS"

I dont think a 37-18 scoreline is edging anyone!