Titans kick 'goals' with students

He has 185 club matches and 21 representative games to his name and today Jetstar Gold Coast Titans forward Luke Bailey shared some of his secrets with young Gold Coasters.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans duo Bailey and Kayne Lawton reinforced the importance of goal-setting when they visited the Keebra Park State High School?s Annex alternative schooling program at Ashmore PCYC today.

Titans players have been regularly visiting the PCYC over the past six weeks to help encourage and mentor students aged between 12 ? 15 years.

The program aims to help youngsters who have had difficulties in mainstream schooling by giving them education and employment assistance.

Bailey recalled his background and remembered how he could not have achieved what he had in rugby league without the aid of goal-setting.

?I came from a poor background, where we didn?t really have a lot of money,?? said Bailey.

?A lot of blokes think they?re behind the eight-ball in life because of how they were brought up but you can change things if you let yourself target goals and be who you want to be in life.

?When I made Australian Schoolboys at 16 that was a turning point. It helped me realise that by setting and achieving goals, I could improve my self belief and grow in confidence.??

Lawton emphasised the importance of keeping his main goal in his sights at all times even when hurdles have been placed in front of him.

The 21-year-old had a taste of first grade last season before being hampered by injuries but has always been focussed on his desire to again play in the NRL.

Jetstar Titans Community Programs Manager Sharon Hodges acknowledged the valuable experience students gained from the program.

?The Titans players are positive role models and mentors,?? said Hodges.

?The program provides the opportunity for players to share real life experiences that the kids can relate to with the aim of pointing them in the right direction for the future.??

Source: http://www.titans.com.au