Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

I wanna see Sowards ribcage disassembled hit by hit.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I wanna see Sowards ribcage disassembled hit by hit.
    By the "Bodene Express"
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    By the "Bodene Express"
    I was originally gonna post:
    "If we are gonna lose someone to the bin again this week, might as well make it worth it and have Bodene put a few swinging arms into Sowards thyroid."
    But then I remembered Bodene already has form at the judicary, and we need to keep him on the field.

It'll be good one day to have Bodene, Taga, Bird and Tomane on the field at the same time. I love their defensive techniques.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I was originally gonna post:
    "If we are gonna lose someone to the bin again this week, might as well make it worth it and have Bodene put a few swinging arms into Sowards thyroid."
    But then I remembered Bodene already has form at the judicary, and we need to keep him on the field.

It'll be good one day to have Bodene, Taga, Bird and Tomane on the field at the same time. I love their defensive techniques.
    Maybe in 3 weeks time they will all be on deck when we play Parra & while their supporters are cheering the "Hayne Train" we can introduce them to the "Pain Train"
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior Titan

Anyone have any idea who will drop off the bench.

I know there was talk earlier in the year of Ben Ridge signing with Manly has this been confirmed or is it only media talk, has someone got the correct answer to this

This game worries me. The potential of a complacent Dragons outfit against a Titans team with their season on the line could cause a massive upset. I'm hoping for a close Dragons win.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Maybe in 3 weeks time they will all be on deck when we play Parra & while their supporters are cheering the "Hayne Train" we can introduce them to the "Pain Train"
    That's why we should invest in 4 premium front rowers
    2 playing
    1 on the bench
    And one suspended at all times
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Rogers insists he's no fill-in for Bird

Gold Coast five-eighth Mat Rogers insists he's not just a fill-in for the injured Greg Bird and is determined to prove to coach John Cartwright that he should stay in the No.6 jersey.

The Titans veteran said the team would simply fold if players didn't have aspirations of taking their team-mates' spots.

Rogers said he's refound his spark this week, training at pivot for Friday night's crucial game against St George Illawarra at WIN Jubilee Oval.

Although his aim to relegate Bird to the bench is said to be tongue-in-cheek, he's serious about making life difficult for the NSW rep once he recovers from his hamstring injury.

"I'm happy to have everything against Greg, I was nice to him before he came, but not now," quipped Rogers.

"He said to me he'll be back in about a month, so I said: 'so he doesn't mind coming off the bench does he?

"I like playing five-eighth, I like playing in the centres, it doesn't bother me where I play, but I want to play well enough so I will give Carty a headache every week and make him make the decision.

"I don't want to be the sort of player ... where they get a shot in a position and they're just minding it for someone.

"I think if you're in a club like that then your club isn't going to go too well so everybody is pretty fired up including myself to play well and try and hold onto a position in the side and cement that spot."

Despite the attacking potential in their side, the Titans have struggled to maintain fluency in their attack in recent weeks. With Bird's style being to play more like a lock than a natural five-eighth, Rogers perhaps has the opportunity to inject his outside backs with a little more flair.

The dual-international, who said he's still a month away from deciding on his footballing future, is confident he can help the Titans get their faltering finals charge back on track.

"It should be fun. I've been back in the side now for about a month so I've certainly got plenty of running in the legs now, so moving back into the middle won't be a problem. I'm looking forward to it, running there this week has re-ignited the spark playing in there," he said.

"I'm excited about it, I don't play a game like Greg Bird, I don't play anything like Greg Bird. He's more like an extra back rower and he can kick a bit and pass a bit for us so I'm not going to be playing a back row type five-eighth role that's for sure."

Rogers believes teams who will finish just outside the eight this year would be more than capable of beating the top sides - such is the evenness of the competition.

He insists the Dragons clash isn't make or break, but admits a win would certainly boost the Titans' cause.

"We're not walking around kicking cans," he said.

"We haven't been far away the last few weeks so it's not panic stations for us yet."

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Dragons v Titans Preview
    Friday, 7.35pm - WIN Jubilee Stadium

Titans coach John Cartwright may have seriously considered some hypnotherapy as a means of boosting his troops? confidence this week, such are the hurdles both physical and mental that have been erected between them and a semi-finals berth.

A month ago the Gold Coast unit were equal second on the NRL ladder. But three successive losses, cushioned only by a bye, have seen them plummet to eighth ? and if defeated by the Dragons they will slip from the top eight for the first time since the end of the 2008 season.

They showed great intensity to lead the Broncos 10-nil with less than 10 minutes to go before halftime last week, but capitulated. Before that they suffered a heartbreaking one-point loss to the Wests Tigers (in the game marked by Benji Marshall?s 50-metre field goal), while in Round 16 against the Knights they squandered a 12-6 lead after 27 minutes. Clearly application is letting them down.

To add to their woes this week they have lost crucial personnel Greg Bird (hamstring) and Ashley Harrison. In a reshuffle, former Bronco Steve Michaels makes his debut for the club in the centres, with Mat Rogers taking Bird?s no.6 jersey. Bodene Thompson moves from centre to slot in at lock for Harrison, with Clinton Toopi his replacement. Ben Ridge and Shannon Walker join the extended bench, with Ryan James missing out.

The Titans have a dreadful record against the Dragons, winning just one of seven games ? their worst record against any opponent. They have yet to beat the Dragon in Sydney, and have never scored more than 12 points against them in the city.

Meanwhile the Dragons keep ticking over nicely. They?ve shown an inherent ability to grind out a victory, as evidenced by their 16-13 win over the Rabbitohs last week, which was secured inside the final 10 minutes with a 70-metre raid initiated by back-rower Neville Costigan and finished off by Mark Gasnier.

In a significant roster change Matt Cooper, off the scene since tearing his hamstring in Origin II, returns at centre replacing Kyle Stanley. Jeremy Smith joins the six-man bench which includes Mark Gasnier.

Watch out Dragons: Mat Rogers and Scott Prince are an accomplished halves pairing, and it will fall to captain Prince to take this game by the throat if the Titans are to remain a finals force.

Prince has 11 try assists from just 12 games.

Hooker Nathan Friend is the busiest player in the NRL; his 1909 receives are a staggering 153 more touches than the second most involved, Manly?s Matt Ballin. The Dragons need to shut down his decision-making time.

And the Red V can be sure that former Dragon Luke Bailey will be primed for a huge game. Bailey, who has yet to win against his old side, delivered a powerful 57 minutes against the Broncos last week, running for 142 metres with 31 tackles.

Watch out Titans: Poor discipline when in possession is killing the Titans. They?re averaging just 69 per cent for their completions ? the second worst rate in the comp.

And they?ve been even worse over the past month. In their loss to the Knights they completed 25/37 (67 per cent), while against the Wests Tigers they completed 24/36 (66 per cent).

They were slightly better last week (30/42 for 71 per cent) but even that figure ranks outside the other top-eight sides.

By comparison the Dragons are the masters at strangling their oppositions ? their 78 per cent average completion rate is the NRL benchmark.

Player-wise the Titans have to shut down the involvement of star fullback Darius Boyd, who has made 232 runs this year for an average gain of 148 metres a match. He is the go-to man on their sideline sweeps, and the player most likely to provide the final pass for wingers Brett Morris (15 tries) and Jason Nightingale (11 tries).

Boyd ranks second for line-break assists (13) and fifth for try assists (14). He has registered at least one try assist in each of his past five games.

Where it will be won: Keeping the ball up the other end, and committing to defence.

With completion rates crucial, making an error or turning over the ball in your own end is likely to be punished. In this regard the Titans are making nearly 11 errors a game, compared to the home side?s 7.4.

As for defence, well, the Titans are missing more tackles per game than any other side (37.9), compared to the Dragons? 26.4 (the fewest in the comp).

The history: Played 7; Dragons 6, Titans 1. The Dragons won 19-6 back in Round 6. The Titans secured their only win 28-24 at Skilled Park last season.

This is the first clash between the sides at Kogarah.

Conclusion: In our Dragons-Rabbitohs preview last week we said: ?If [the Rabbitohs] go try-for-try with the Dragons, their opponents will pull away from them late in proceedings. No; they need a try, try, try start to get the points.? We were correct, and we?ll go again and say that?s pretty much the scenario for the Titans, too.

It?s clear they need to blow the Dragons away early, as recent history shows they simply don?t have the weaponry when it counts later in games ? they have scored only three tries in their past four second halves.

Otherwise, this could be a nasty touch-up.

Match officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Tony De Las Heras; Sideline Officials ? Jeff Younis & David Abood; Video Ref ? Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports ? delayed 1am

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

A really interesting clash here. Must win for us.

But Rogers at 5/8th and Thompson coming in for Ash and the probably Titans debut of Steve Michaels makes it very fascinating.

I think Rogers will excell at 5/8th for us and Thompson is certainly cut out for the lock role.

Cooper is back for the Dragons and will partner Gasnier in the centres. And then we also have Boyd and Morris to worry about.

Hopefully we can discover some strike power tonight!

Dragons centre Matt Cooper looking forward to playing again with Mark Gasnier

ST GEORGE Illawarra centre Matt Cooper is jumping out of his skin ahead of his first match alongside Mark Gasnier in two years.

Cooper never expected to play alongside Gasnier again but he can't wait to do so tonight when the Dragons play the Gold Coast.

"It's going to be great to run out with him," said Cooper, who is making his return after a month on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

Cooper believes Gasnier will create more attacking opportunities on the left side for him and Brett Morris.

"Sides have been stacking our left side with an extra number on their defensive line, but with Gaz back that will drag an extra player over to cover him," Cooper said. "That will make it a bit better for our left side."

Cooper and Gasnier spent eight years as arguably the NRL's best centre combination. They played Origin and Tests together before Gasnier quit the game at the end of 2008 to play rugby in France.

Cooper, 31, is refreshed and raring to go after hyper-extending his leg in Origin II. "I'm going into the game 100 per cent," he said. "Last year I was hampered with a foot injury, which was an ongoing injury. I'm stoked to be feeling this good."

Cooper expects the Titans to be desperate tonight because they have slipped to eighth on the ladder after three consecutive losses. "They haven't [been in the best form] but it's going to be a big test for us," he said."They haven't won for a couple of weeks but a couple of months ago they were coming second or third, so they're going to be really hungry."

The Titans are reeling from injuries to Origin stars Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird. Mat Rogers has been switched to five-eighth for Bird and coach John Cartwright has selected a new centre pairing in former Bronco Steve Michaels and former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi.

The Dragons have a four-point gap at the top but Cooper says there is no risk of complacency after last year's late-season slump.

St George Illawarra lost three of their final four regular-season matches to surrender all momentum heading into the finals, where they tumbled out of the competition with successive losses.

"It's something we've got to talk about because pretty much everything is the same as last year," Cooper said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

The Titans always have the misfortune of welcoming back rival stars from injury!

St George Illawarra Dragons v Gold Coast Titans
    Friday, WIN Jubilee Stadium, 7.35pm

Referees: Ben Cummins, Tony De Las Heras
    Head to head: Dragons 6, Titans 1
    Last clash: Dragons 19 bt Titans 6 at Skilled Park (Rd 6 2010)
    TAB SportsBet: Dragons $1.20, Titans $4.40
    FootyTab: Titans +8.5

The Dragons were far from impressive but got the points against Souths and they face a side in a similar must-win position this week. Better to have the wobbles now than in a couple of months though as Wayne Bennett's men work Mark Gasnier into their system.

The former Test star has been named on a six-man bench while another former Test centre, Matt Cooper, returns from a hamstring injury. The Titans have lost their last three and are without five-eighth Greg Bird (hamstring), with veteran Mat Rogers shifting to pivot and ex-Bronco Steve Michaels and ex-Warrior Clinton Toopi a new centres pairing.

DRAGONS: Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Beau Scott, Matt Cooper, Jason Nightingale, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (capt), Matt Prior, Luke Priddis, Jon Green, Neville Costigan, Ben Creagh, Dean Young. Interchange: Trent Merrin, Jeremy Smith, Nick Emmett, Jarrod Saffy, Ricky Thorby, Mark Gasnier (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Steve Michaels, Clinton Toopi, William Zillman, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Bodene Thompson. Interchange: Matthew White, Brad Meyers, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Shannon Walker (one to omitted).

AAP

Titans coach confident in youngster

THE Gold Coast Titans' coach has every confidence in replacement centre Steve Michaels as the team finalised preparations at Robina this morning before flying out for Sydney this afternoon for their NRL clash with the Dragons.

The Titans will clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons tomorrow night in what is shaping as a season-defining game for the under siege club.

With Origin players Ash Harrison (knee) and Greg Bird (hamstring) sidelined through injury, several fresh faces will join the fray.

Young back rower Ben Ridge will make his NRL, while centre Steve Michaels will play his first game for the Titans since walking out on the Broncos eight weeks ago.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has declared he has complete confidence in centre Michaels, who will be out to prove wrong those who doubted him in Brisbane.

Michaels was released by the Broncos two months ago, with the club and coach Ivan Henjak losing faith in the 23-year-old.

It all stemmed from several poor defensive displays mid-way through last season, which led to Michaels suffering a confidence crisis.

''The hardest place to defend on the field is centre and wing when it comes to decision making,'' said Cartwright.

''Their decisions are made a lot easier if the blokes inside are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

''Often the guy on the edge of the field gets the blame but a lot of work wasn't being done inside him. A lot of that (confidence) comes down to the players around you and the staff and there is no lack of confidence in him here.''

But the task against the table-topping Dragons isn't going to be easy for Michaels, who will face Wayne Bennett and Palm Beach Currumbin classmate Darius Boyd for the first time.

Michaels will also line up opposite Origin centre Beau Scott and must also contain the resurgent Mark Gasnier, who scored the match-winning try against Souths last week.

''He has been close to selection for the past month and very solid for Burleigh, that is why he got a start this weekend,'' said Cartwright. ''He is only 23, been part of a Queensland emerging State of Origin team and played a lot of first grade at the Broncos in a star-studded side.

''We have got confidence in him here and I am sure he will do a job for us.

''He is a great fella to have around, is no fuss, works very hard and he deserves his chance.''

Exciting Tweed Heads Seagulls fullback Shannon Walker is also remains a chance of turning out for the Titans, named 18th man.

Cartwright will make the final call on Walker tomorrow.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au