Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 20: St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

1 Darius Boyd, 2 Brett Morris, 3 Beau Scott, 4 Matt Cooper, 5 Jason Nightingale, 6 Jamie Soward, 7 Ben Hornby [c], 8 Matt Prior, 9 Luke Priddis, 10 Jon Green, 11 Neville Costigan, 12 Ben Creagh, 13 Dean Young. Subs: 14 Trent Merrin, 15 Jeremy Smith, 16 Nick Emmett, 17 Jarrod Saffy, 18 Ricky Thorby, 19 Mark Gasnier (two to be omitted).

1 Preston Campbell, 2 Kevin Gordon, 3 Steve Michaels, 4 Clinton Toopi, 5 William Zillman, 6 Mat Rogers, 7 Scott Prince [c], 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Nathan Friend, 10 Michael Henderson, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Bodene Thompson. Subs: 14 Matthew White, 15 Brad Meyers, 16 Ben Ridge, 17 Luke O'Dwyer, 19 Shannon Walker (one to be omitted).
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 23-07-10 at 02:09 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

Any one agree with this?

1 S.Walker
    2 K.Gordon
    3 M.Rogers
    4 E.Tonga
    5 W.Zillman
    6 P.Campbell
    7 S.Prince
    8 L.Bailey
    9 N.Friend
    10 M.Henderson
    11 A.Laffranchi
    12 B.Thompson
    13 A.Harrison

14 B.Meyers
    15 M.Minichello
    16 R.James
    17 L.Odwyer

im hoping something like this.

cooper's meant to back for the dragons I wonder where Gasnier will play

I hope Esi comes into the side, although did he play Q cup on the weekend

Will be happy if we keep 13 on the park for 80min this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

cant see mini being on the bench instead of bodey
    but yeh. not a bad looking side
    i hope they play gaz, he dont look like he can do anything LOL
    hopefully we see tonga make his comeback

Walker eager for run at fullback

Titans fullback-in-waiting Shannon Walker listens as coach John Cartwright gives him advice Picture: Luke Marsden

SHANNON Walker understands chances don't come along very often.

On the cusp of greatness two years ago, unwanted hype, pressure and injuries proved a curse as Walker failed to reach the heights many expected of him.

But after a sublime match-winning effort at the back for Tweed Heads on Saturday, the 22-year-old sent a reminder to Titans fans and coach John Cartwright he was ready for another chance as the club prepares for a torrid fight to save their season.

Scoring a try in Tweed's convincing 32-6 thumping of Queensland Cup leaders Souths Logan, Walker looked like a man covered in grease, scorching his way downfield with several big line busts and breaking tackles at will.

Declaring yesterday he was a 'different player' to the Shannon Walker of 2008, the Kyogle junior looms as a simple solution to the Titans latest injury worries with regular fullback Preston Campbell tipped to wear the No.6 vacated by Greg Bird, who could be out for action for up to six weeks with a torn hamstring.

"I've been waiting for a while and I'm happy to put my hand up if the big man (Cartwright) calls me up," said Walker when asked if he would be better prepared for the rigours of the NRL.

"I felt the pressure a bit (in 2008) and because I didn't get a good run it wasn't really what I expected.

"Then when all the injuries came it put a bit of doubt in my mind, that resulted in more pressure building up and it kept going.

"But things seem to be starting to work out. The footy has been good, the training has been good and I'm trying to show more consistency because that's what Carty wants."

Walker was tipped to take the NRL by storm after being named the Queensland Cup player of the year when he helped Tweed Heads land the premiership in 2007.

But Walker's top-flight career stalled after he failed to fire in three appearances for the Titans a season later and he then spent a fair chunk of 2009 sidelined with a hamstring tear.

With his confidence, speed and ability to break a game apart returning, Walker could be the man to bring an added dimension to the Titans' attack, which was branded 'flat and predictable' by their fans after Friday's 24-10 loss to the Broncos.

Walker said if the experience of the past two years had taught him anything, it was that he had to make the most of his chances.

"You don't get many shots as I've learnt," he said.

"I only had three shots the first time so you have to make the most of it."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I would love to see Shannon Walker at #5. I'm confident he can handle a wing position in the NRL.

Titans have to try something. If form warrants then why not give Shannon Walker another shot. Getting to the do or die stage now and the Dragons defence is the toughest in the comp.

bloody oki is 5 min drive from where i live.
    but noooo sister's 21st same night ahah
    sucks

Carty ya @#$#t give Walker a run, Im sick of hearing about the Haynetrain.

Its time we introduced real excitement into the NRL. Im writing this week off as a loss and most ppl would agree so there is no reason why we cant give this young man a go. He is ready.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 20-07-10 at 01:05 PM.

Not long now until the team is named.

I'm hoping for Esi and Walker.

Wayne's wall even tougher this year

It only takes one glance to see that the similarities are amazing.
    St George Illawarra's 2010 season is a virtual carbon copy of this time last year.

After 19 rounds, the Dragons are 13 wins and four losses. Their points differential is almost identical.

St George Illawarra are sitting pretty atop the NRL ladder with 30 competition points, with a for-and-against of positive 189. At this time last year it was positive 181.

But while the early-season talk was of coach Wayne Bennett trying to boost their attacking firepower, the basic statistics suggest they're actually a better defensive team than 12 months ago.

Wayne's wall has conceded just 182 points, or 10.7 per game, compared to 230, or 13.5 per game, in 2009. But will history repeat?

With seven weeks until the finals, Dragons fans are being careful not to talk about a breakthrough premiership after last year's spectacular crash resulted in five losses in their last six games.

Entering the crucial period of the year which will make or break their season, young prop Trent Merrin said the team wasn't carrying the burden of last year's failure.

"It's always in the back of your mind, what happened last year," he said. "But it's a new year and all the boys are taking it week by week, and it's not a burden.

"We're bringing the game on every week and worrying about winning, not so much (about) what happened last year."

Merrin's reassurance comes as the Dragons prepare to face a desperate Gold Coast team, at WIN Jubilee Oval on Friday night, trying to arrest a three-game losing streak to save their ailing season.

The Titans will be without NSW representative Greg Bird, who is set to be sidelined for a month with a hamstring tear.

And while Merrin dismissed the pressure surrounding the Dragons to avoid another form slump, the 20-year-old prop claimed he was handling the extra expectation of carrying the load without suspended front-rower Michael Weyman and the injured Dan Hunt.

"You always feel a bit of pressure fall on your shoulders when the best forward in the game (Weyman) is out," he said.

"And Dan Hunt was playing awesome, so you feel a bit of a weight on your shoulders.

"But I'm happy with how I'm going, I'm not trying to be a Michael Weyman because he's out. He's his own player and I'm my own player, and I'm just trying to do my bit for the team."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au

Titans' beach boys are in trouble unless they can get Scott Prince firing and stop the losing streak

LAST week in the build-up to the derby against the Broncos I heard Titans prop Luke Bailey label the game "do-or-die".

At the time I thought it was typical pre-game rhetoric, trying to entice a few extra Titans fans to part with their hard-earned cash at the Skilled Park turnstiles.

But after the Titans were gunned down 24-10 by their nearest neighbour, it made me realise what big Bull Bailey was speaking was far closer to reality than rhetoric.

It has gone under the radar in the helter-skelter of the representative season and that little salary cap story bubbling along in Melbourne, but the Titans are on the skids.

Two months ago a second straight finals appearance for Gold Coast looked a mere formality.

They were entrenched in the top four, playing a no-nonsense brand of footy that was proving hard to beat.

The addition of Greg Bird had appeared to have added a noticeable edge to them and in a competition thrown open by the Storm's demise, the Titans faithful rightfully would have been daring to believe that a premiership in just the club's fourth season was an attainable dream.

But after Friday night's loss, albeit ably assisted by a shocking refereeing decision to sin-bin veteran centre Mat Rogers for a professional foul, the Titans are anything but good things to make the playoffs.

The loss to the Broncos was their third on the trot and their sixth in the past eight games, with one of those two wins a one-point heart-stopper over the Bulldogs.

They are still clinging to eighth spot, but they have a poor points differential (-26) and their run over the next month is onerous.

Starting on Friday night they face the frontrunning Dragons in Sydney and that is followed by an equally challenging road trip across the ditch to meet the ever-improving Warriors.

They then return home to play the Jarryd Hayne re-energised Eels, before another derby game against the Cowboys.

Unless they wake from their slumber soon, it might be all over by the time Neil Henry's boys ride into town – particularly with a few teams below them in Parramatta and Canberra showing signs of life with important wins over the weekend.

So where has it all gone wrong for the beachside boys?

Well, like most teams at this stage of the year they have had a few injuries, but you would hardly call it a crisis.

Perhaps all the off-field headlines of earlier in the season had more of an impact on the football team than the Titans let on.

For months as the legal wrangle over their new Centre of Excellence raged on, football and administration staff were forced to work from their homes, cars or anywhere else they could find a desk.

While the players were pretty well shielded from much of the drama, it looks to have taken a toll on skipper Scott Prince, who was the man at the centre of the salary cap innuendo.

While there have been glimpses, the star halfback has been well below his brilliant best for much of the year.

A hamstring injury hasn't helped him, but he doesn't appear to be playing with the flow or finesse for which he is renowned.

The cheeky grin has also been a little harder to find.

As much as they hate to admit it, the Titans – like most teams with a dominant playmaker – come back to the field quickly when Prince isn't at the top of his game.

The other mystery is where the Titans' often larger than life chief executive Michael Searle has been through the majority of this slide.

While he can't put centres through holes, kick goals from the sidelines or notch up 30-odd tackles in the ruck, I find it staggering that the club's commander can afford a month or so overseas, apparently globetrotting with Mark Occhilupo, mid-season.

Perhaps he needed to clear his head after the salary cap allegations and the messy blow-up with builder Alex Simpson.

But from my reckoning, not to be in the country for last week's derby against the Broncos wasn't a great look.

At a time when there is at least a perception, be it fair or unfounded, that the Titans are in financial strife, surely it wouldn't be a bad thing for major backers and alike to see the boss, front and centre, offering some assurances that all is well.

It has also been a fairly hectic time in terms of player movement in the NRL, particularly with the Melbourne situation reaching its head.

And while the Titans' roster is fairly settled, you never know what sort of bargains could fall off the back of the Storm's big purple truck.

The Titans' plight is hardly terminal but with Bird out of action for up to a month, things could get worse before they get better.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

Walker poised for recall

NO ONE likes to see a team-mate get injured but when Greg Bird’s hamstring tore on the weekend Shannon Walker’s NRL career may have been rekindled.

The Kyogle junior has been waiting in the wings for another shot at the big-time since he made a nervous three-match cameo with the Gold Coast Titans in 2008.

And with the Titans’ backline torn apart by injury – Preston Campbell is likely to switch to five-eighth to cover for Bird – Walker is some chance of getting a crack at his favoured No 1 jersey.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has kept a close eye on Walker, who was outstanding as Tweed Heads overcame Queensland Cup pace-setters Souths Logan 32-6 on the weekend, but wouldn’t guarantee the enigmatic flyer a start.

“(Walker) was really good on the weekend and his consistency has been a lot better than it has been in the past,” Cartwright said.

“He will be pressing (for a spot in the line-up).

“But it’s all about how we are going to play St George and we will pick a side to suit.”

Cartwright admitted that his men have struggled to turn pressure into points of late, particularly last week against the Broncos, and with Walker back to his slippery best for the Seagulls in recent weeks he presents himself as a solution to that problem.

The explosive 22-year-old has the speed and skill to blow a game apart but the Titans may be wary of throwing him in the deep end for what is almost a must-win game.

In his debut, Walker came off the bench in a close game against the Bulldogs and made a few mistakes which only increased the pressure on him to perform.

But he insists he is a different player this time around and will be looking to make the most of any opportunity handed to him in a bid to land a contract for 2011.

http://www.northernstar.com.au

1. Preston Campbell
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Steve Michaels
    4. Clinton Toopi
    5. William Zillman
    6. Mat Rogers
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Michael Henderson
    11. Anthony Laffranchi