Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Titan CEO

Default sharks players in a fight

A Cronulla Sharks player needed 20 stitches for a head wound sustained in a training altercation at the NRL club.

Jacob Selmes was taken to hospital with head injuries after an altercation with first-grade forward Hutch Maiava, according television news reports.

An inquiry is believed to be underway at the club.

Coach Stuart Raper confirmed the incident and the players involved.

He is expected to make a statement about the incident later this evening.

Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley said he was unaware of the incident because the players had been training at different times in different skills groups.

"I suppose if it has happened then we'll have a meeting about it tomorrow to discuss what did occur," Kimmorley said.

An NRL spokesman said the game's governing body was also unaware of the incident but that it would remain a club matter if it had occurred at a private training session.

SMH

If it was a fight at training them meh it isnt even newsworthy.... Anyone involved in any level of competitive sports knows that tempers will fray occasionaly during a season. Ive played at National level in my sports and tempers frayed there at times.

However if it went further than a dust up at training then that is dissapointing.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan CEO

Well appreantly the jacob guy had to get upto 17 stitches after the brawl.

I can see the headlines tommorow.

"More Violence in Cronulla"

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Well appreantly the jacob guy had to get upto 17 stitches after the brawl.

Thats a little more than a dust up - doesnt sound good for team harmony...

Looks like the Sharkies will be waiting a few more years for the first taste of success.

Junior Titan

Awww, everything has to happen to my team doesn't it. Couldn't it happen to an unimportant team like the Rabbitohs.

Controversy is good for a team Look at the bulldogs a few years ago with a trip to Coffs Harbour pre season-- And what was the result of thier season.

Sharkies for premiers in 2006
    REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoe
    Controversy is good for a team Look at the bulldogs a few years ago with a trip to Coffs Harbour pre season-- And what was the result of thier season.

Sharkies for premiers in 2006
    LOL after reminding me of that Im gonna but a tenner on 'em!

Titan CEO

Just heard on the radio that jacob has been taken to hospital "for head injuries". Raper is expected to have a press conference later tonight.

Titan CEO

First post has now been updated with an article

Might be worth strolling over to the Sharkies web site and see if they release the statement there.

dont ever want to fight with Hutch Maiava

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    dont ever want to fight with Hutch Maiava

not wrong! this jacob guy is sposedly taller and bigger then maiva and yet hutch really put the hurt on this bloke, just shows you the force and aggression being used.

Thursday December 15, 09:55 PM AAP

Sharks player needs stitches after fight

A Cronulla Sharks player needed stitches to his face after a training altercation at the NRL club.

Jacob Selmes was involved in a fight with first-grade forward Hutch Maiava and required attention from the Sharks club doctor.

Cronulla spokesman Rob Willis said the altercation between the forwards took place at this morning's weights session, attended by around 12 Sharks players and the club's strength and conditioning coach.

"Hutch reacted physically, Jacob's had a few stitches," Willis said. "They're saying 20 (stitches), I'm not sure it's that many but he had some stitches in his face.

"Probably guys ran to help break it all up ... I don't even think it was a fight, I just think it was a punch," he said.

New Zealander Maiava, a 120kg giant, made 24 first-grade appearances for the Sharks this year.

Selmes is yet to play first-grade but captained Cronulla's Jersey Flegg side in its finals campaign this season.

Willis said Sharks coach Stuart Raper had been surprised by the incident.

"Pre-season training seemed to have been going so well," he said.

"Jacob was one of our best trainers, he was pushing for a spot in the top 25 so he had nothing to gain from punching anyone in the chin."

Willis said he did not know what had caused the altercation.

He said players were aware of tensions in Cronulla following last weekend's racially-motivated violence, but he doubted the incident had stemmed from that.

"Hutch is a Kiwi and Jacob's not even a local, he's from Port Macquarie so I can't see how either of those two would be too caught up in it," he said.

"Obviously all our players are aware of it because they're living in the backyard of what's happening at Cronulla here ... I really couldn't see it.

"It wasn't something that people could say they could see it coming. No-one said, `gee the boys are tense'.

"It hasn't seemed to surface amongst them in any sort of tension way," Willis said.

Raper will speak to club chief executive Steve Rogers, who is holidaying in Italy and was unaware of the incident when contacted by AAP.

Raper is expected to make a statement on Friday morning.

Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley said he was unaware of the incident because the players had been training at different times in different skills groups.

"I suppose if it has happened then we'll have a meeting about it to discuss what did occur," Kimmorley said.

An NRL spokesman said it would remain a club matter if the incident took place at a private training session.

Source www.yahoo.com.au
    REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!

Wonder what actually happened - Hutch's fists wouldnt be small.