Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Titans to show big brother who's boss

BACKROWER Mark Minichiello has declared the Gold Coast pack must 'stamp their authority' over their inexperienced Broncos rivals tomorrow night as the Titans fight to snap out of a mid-season slump.

While the Broncos have won six of their past eight to charge into premiership calculations, the Titans' finals spark has started to fade after losing five of their past seven games.

Minichiello said that Titans needed a big performance against the Broncos to get back on track.

"We really want to stamp our authority," he said.

"Especially this year, with the age of the pack getting on a bit it would be great to get a result at the end of the season.

"We have to go out there this week and take little steps forward to build our confidence and get things right for the big end of the season."

The window of opportunity is closing fast for the Coast squad to do something special before they are ripped apart by retirement and salary cap pressures.

If experience counts for anything, the Titans should have the Broncos measure.

The Coast's starting pack and four interchange forwards have a combined 1253 NRL caps, more than double that of the Broncos (655).

Titans interchange prop Brad Meyers (165) alone has more than double the amount of games to his name than the entire Broncos bench.

"We are probably not going to get too many more opportunities to win the grand final with the team we have got now," said Titans prop Luke Bailey.

"It seemed like we did have a young squad when we first started but looking at all the teams now, we are probably the oldest in the competition.

"It is something we talk about on a regular basis, that it would be nice to do it ... the time has come."

Bailey said the clash with the Broncos could define their season.

"It is one of those games that you call a do-or-die game," he said.

"There were some positive signs after last week's performance against the Tigers.

"I think the blokes found a bit of self-belief and some confidence, particularly in our line defence."

He said with the bottom eight congested, another slip and they could end up outside the top eight.

"When we play the Broncos it is a big enough challenge as it is, but this game holds a lot of meaning for us," he said.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Over 21,000 tickets sold, should hi 23,000 tonight. Puts us in good position for getting a sell out.

Spread the word!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Over 21,000 tickets sold, should hi 23,000 tonight. Puts us in good position for getting a sell out.

Spread the word!
    hopefuly im good luck, last game i went to we beat the storm

Local derby set to live up to hype: Cartwright

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright believes Friday night's local derby against the Broncos will live up to the hype and has urged fans to get to Skilled Park to help cheer on the club.

Cartwright said he was expecting a good crowd to turn out for the Queensland derby, with both teams desperate to stay in touch with the top-eight and keep their finals hopes alive.

There are still several thousands tickets available for the match. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketek

“The Broncos local derby is always generally a pretty tight game and hopefully a big crowd gets behind us tomorrow night,” Cartwright said.

“It doesn’t get any better than the Broncos - both sides are sitting in a precarious situation on the ladder, there’s a lot at stake and that normally brings out good football from both sides, and being a Friday night so there should be no reason why not.”

The Titans went down to the Broncos 28-6 earlier in the year but are hoping the return of experienced centre Mat Rogers, who missed the round 10 clash, will be enough to stop barnstorming Broncos superstar Israel Folau.

Folau has scored 50 points against the Titans in their last five meetings.

Rogers said he was excited about the match-up but remained wary of the entire Broncos squad.

“He’s (Folau) a big fella that’s for sure and he gets a lot of attention and rightly so,” Rogers said.

“He’s a great player but there are 12 the other players on the field, their wingers, their fullback, their halves, their back row and they’re all playing good football at the moment and they’re lead by probably the best player in the world.”

The Titans are currently fifth on the NRL ladder and a win this week could see them jump the Sydney Rooster and climb into fourth position.

http://www.titans.com.au

Henjak: Titans Laying A Trap
    Bronco Media

IVAN Henjak expects nothing but the Gold Coast Titan's best when the WOW Brisbane Broncos head south for the local derby tomorrow.

The Broncos come into the match as an almost full-strength team but Henjak said pretending that was going to be enough to win the game was a death trap.

The eight-placed Broncos are just two points behind the fith-placed Titans.

"The last seven games they have only won two," he said.

"But it is a local derby and every time we have played them it has been a tough game, so it won't be any different.

"They are looking at the table like us, and if you lose you could be out of the eight and if you win you could be in fourth.

"There is a lot on the line so I expect them to bring their A game."

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.as...-laying-a-trap

QLD Cup Titan

1 more sleep!!!!!!!! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
    1 more sleep!!!!!!!! Can't wait!
    Me either. Time to get a little bit of that sleep. Big day tomorrow.

I must remember more tape for my flags and poles, I have forgotten the last two games. And my gear is being held together by one of my shoelaces at Skilled Park. Yea I went McGyver style.

Good night all! It's like Christmas Eve. Let's hope we get the present that we want! A win over the Broncos!

Titans star Mat Rogers braces for an Israel Folau onslaught in Broncos clash

GOLD Coast Titans centre Mat Rogers has marked All Blacks giants Jonah Lomu, Ma'a Nonu and Tana Umaga.

But he rates Friday night's assignment against Broncos star Israel Folau at Skilled Park one of the toughest of his career.

The former Wallaby also tipped Folau to leave nothing in the tank in his final two months of rugby league before switching to AFL.

Rogers experienced the same desire to do the right thing in the final few months of his contract with Cronulla in 2001 before playing rugby union.

"At Cronulla we were best mates, having all grown up together," Rogers said ahead of Friday night's big derby match against Brisbane.

"It was sad to leave and, although I was excited by the prospect of a new challenge, I wanted to do everything I could for my team.

"No doubt Israel will be emptying the tank every game to show his heart is still in this game.

"I've marked Lomu, but Israel is probably more on the lines of Umaga or Nonu. He's just a freakish talent and there's not much he doesn't possess naturally. It's a big challenge."

Rogers, 87kg, said he believed the 103kg Folau could make it in AFL.

"It is a game a lot of our players could adjust to," Rogers said.

"I think it is a little different the other way round. Not too many players could come this way. Maybe Barry Hall or Jonathan Brown could mix it in the middle.

"I know Israel is getting paid a lot of money, but he is taking a big risk too, and good luck to him."

Rogers said the fifth-placed Titans had to make the most of their chances if they were to beat Brisbane (eighth).

"Our finishing last Friday against the Tigers was poor and I was probably the worst offender," he said.

"A minor premiership isn't out of the question and neither is finishing out of the eight. It's game time, so everyone is excited."

Rogers, 34, said he was tempted to play on next year, but realised there were younger players with claims.

Rogers said he was happy to keep kicking for goal with skipper Scott Prince getting his own game in order.

Prince may regret trumpeting his desire to push his recently healed hamstring because the Broncos are on alert for him to run more often.

"I saw where he said it was time to throw off the shackles and give it a real test and if it goes it goes," Broncos coach Ivan Henjak said.

"So I am expecting him to be going flat out and have a real crack at us."

The Broncos have the look of team set to peak when it matters, with their Origin stars, particularly Darren Lockyer, in form and injury free.

Source: Courier Mail

I can see Bodene being released tonight to do what Tag would've done & belt Folou on or off the Ball
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

The best thing about this week and the lead up to it Scotty has been out of the media thank ****....... now maybe he'll put on the skills we all know he has....

At RTC getting bus to stadium. 24k sold. 2k left. Looks good.

I can't tell you how much victory tonight would mean.

Banned

looks like it is gonna be a full house

Rogers send off a disgrace! Go Titans. 10 left...

Sin bin I mean

robbed......

First Broncs try was off a rubbish penalty.

Second try was right after Rogers was sent off for 10 minutes.

Broncs were gifted that game.
    Last edited by gotitans101; 16-07-10 at 08:21 PM.