Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tigers set for titanic struggle after Broncos victory

WESTS Tigers will roar into Campbelltown on Friday, charged by their last-gasp 16-14 win over the Broncos in Brisbane on Friday night.

The win reversed the disappointing 20-18 loss the last time the two sides met in Campbelltown in 2009 and consolidated the Tigers confidence heading towards the business end of the NRL season.

Most supporters admitted the win wasn’t “pretty” and the Broncos were under strength, but coach Tim Sheens only found positives in the dog-eat-dog encounter.

He spoke of his pride in the players after the match, highlighting they also had lost a few key personnel for the game and had to juggle team positions.

Chris Lawrence had stepped up into the unfamiliar five-eighth role to accommodate Benji Marshall’s move to halfback for the injured Robert Lui.

Wests Tigers will need to move up a gear for Friday’s match against the Titans.

The team is hoping there is a bumper crowd to support it as it fends off a challenge from the Gold Coast club who are equal third on the NRL ladder and only behind the Tigers on differentials.

The round 18 clash kicks off at 7.35pm. Tickets are available at www.weststigers.com.au

http://macarthur-chronicle-campbellt...reilive.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Wobbly Titans relish testing title credentials

Second rower Anthony Laffranchi says the Titans are confident ahead of a busy July - 'This time of the year you really want to test yourself against quality opposition'. Photo: Getty Images

July shapes as an arduous month for the Gold Coast Titans but Anthony Laffranchi believes a string of games against NRL heavy hitters will let the team flaunt its premiership credentials.

The Titans travel to Campbelltown this week for a Friday night date with the third-placed and in-form Wests Tigers.

The table-topping St George Illawarra Dragons and the resurgent Brisbane Broncos lie in wait in the coming weeks.

Advertisement: Story continues belowAny slip could prove costly as the Titans sit precariously in fourth spot on a congested ladder, but former Test second rower Laffranchi says the Gold Coast is up for any battle over turf in the top four.

“We're confident. This back end of the year - the next nine rounds - are really going to test us out,” he said.

“This time of the year you really want to test yourself against quality opposition – we have the Tigers this week and in the month coming up we have the Broncos and Dragons.”

The Titans were bettered by only the Dragons and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at the end of the home and away season last year and Laffranchi said falling short of a top-four finish this season would be met with disappointment at Skilled Park.

The side's cause wasn't helped by a shock loss at home to the Newcastle Knights before a bye last weekend.

A win over the 11th-placed Knights would have seen the Titans claim third spot as their own but they'll now have to wrestle that honour from the Tigers on Friday night.

Even with nine rounds still to play, the two competition points are vital as just four points separate seven teams behind the pace-setting Dragons and Penrith Panthers.

“You want to cement yourself in the top four,” said Laffranchi, who won a premiership with the Tigers in 2005. “Obviously we did last year and you want to keep improving year after year.

“From personal experience I know the Tigers love playing down there and they're winning, so they'll get a big crowd out there on Friday night.”

The Tigers were far from their best at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, when they squeaked past the Broncos in a scrappy affair in the wet.

But rather than sensing a weakness, Laffranchi said the 16-14 win - on the back of a 78th-minute try to Mitch Brown off a Robbie Farrah kick - proved how dangerous the Tigers can be, even on an off night.

“It was in tough conditions, I think it was a bit disjointed with a lot of dropped ball,” he said.

“But it just goes to show the class of [Benji] Marshall and Farrah – the vision of the guy to put that kick across field and they score in the corner.

“It's funny, those kind of wins when everything goes against you and to win away, they'll be hard to beat. Friday night in Campbelltown, they'll be quietly confident.”

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Toopi gives it one more try

Former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi is determined to finish off the season with the Gold Coast Titans on a good note

FORMER Kiwi international Clinton Toopi has revealed he seriously contemplated retirement, after struggling with a chronic calf injury over the past month.

The veteran centre, who has been sidelined since Round 13, was granted extended leave by the club to return to his wife Turenga, who has remained home in New Zealand this year with the couples two young daughters.

Toopi returned to the Gold Coast last Monday but not before a bit of soul searching.

"There were a lot of the questions going through my mind when I was back home," said Toopi, who has battled homesickness since joining the Coast this season.

"I just wanted to come back and make the most of the privilege I have at the club and the opportunities that they have given me.

"I have got a few months left, so I want to do everything I can to finish off on a good note.

"But there is so much going through my mind, especially with the wife and kids away and then this injury all piling on top of each other.

"I just have to try and stay positive and get through this and regroup at the end of the season."

Toopi will have his first run with the team since early June today, when the Titans resume training ahead of their blockbuster against the Wests Tigers on Friday in Sydney.

With winger David Mead (foot) out for the season and centre Sam Tagataese (shoulder) in doubt to take on the Tigers, Toopi will come into calculations on the right flank for the Tigers clash.

With three tries from five games this season, Toopi has the highest try strike rate of any Gold Coast player.

"There is opportunities open there," he said.

"But that is a call for the coaching staff.

"At this stage I am looking to come back for the Burleigh Bears.

"My focus at this stage is to train well and if anything pops up and the club needs me to step in I will gladly step up."

The 30-year-old was hopeful his calf injury was behind him, but hinted he could be forced to manage it for the remainder of the season.

"I have got a bit of movement in my knee joint, so we are thinking that I am over compensating and that calf muscle takes all of the impact when I am trying to stop and start," he said.

"It is a constant strain.

"I have done a few running sessions and progressed pretty good, so hopefully we are on the right track to getting it right.

"It has been really frustrating and that is why I asked the coach if I could go home and spend a bit of time with my wife and kids and think about everything.

"I just feel like I have been given a perfect opportunity here and sometimes I feel like I am letting them down, because I have got these constant niggles.

"The coach was really understanding and told me not to think I had let anyone down and they had appreciated what I had done since coming here."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Junior

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans captain Scott Prince and utility Luke O’Dwyer have been named to return from hamstring injuries for Friday night’s heavyweight clash against the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium.

Prince missed the club’s last-start loss to the Newcastle Knights but in a significant boost for the fourth-placed Titans is expected to be given the all clear to return from injury against his former club along with O’Dwyer, who has been added to the interchange bench.

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said a final decision on Prince's fitness would be made on Friday.

In further team changes, backline utility William Zillman has been shifted to the wing in place of the injured David Mead (foot) while Bodene Thompson will replace Sam Tagataese (shoulder) in the centres.

Queensland Residents centre Steve Michaels has been named on an extended five-man bench and if required to play, it will mark the 23-year-old’s first appearance in Titans colours since joining the club from the Broncos five weeks ago.

The Jetstar Titans have won three of the five clashes between the two clubs, including a 16-14 win the last time they met at Campbelltown Stadium during the club’s inaugural year in 2007.

Titans v Tigers
    7.35pm - Friday, July 9
    Campbelltown Stadium
    1 Preston Campbell
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Mat Rogers
    4 Bodene Thompson
    5 William Zillman
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Michael Henderson
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Matthew White
    15 Brad Meyers
    16 Ryan James
    17 Luke O’Dwyer
    19 Steve Michaels
    Coach John Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by timor 2 View Post
    Interchange
    14 Matthew White
    15 Brad Meyers
    16 Ryan James
    17 Luke O?Dwyer
    Love the bench!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Banned

i want cannings back in

Great team! Thank God Prince is back!

Love seeing Bodene in the team. And Chalky too.

I'll be looking at making either a O'Dwyer, Minichiello or Bodene banner. Hmm...

Hopefully we bag another win in NSW. It's been a pretty good year down south. We even went close in Canberra.

Here is both teams...

Tigers: 1. Wade McKinnon 2. Lote Tuqiri 3. Blake Ayshford 4. Chris Lawrence 5. Geoff Daniela 6. Benji Marshall 7. Robert Lui 8. Bryce Gibbs 9. Robbie Farah 10. Keith Galloway 11. Todd Payten 12. Liam Fulton 13. Chris Heighington

Interchange: 14. Mark Flanagan 15. Junior Moors 16. Simon Dwyer 17. Daniel Fitzhenry

Reserves: 18. Mitch Brown 19. Andrew Fifita

Titans:

1 Preston Campbell
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Mat Rogers
    4 Bodene Thompson
    5 William Zillman
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Michael Henderson
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
    14 Matthew White
    15 Brad Meyers
    16 Ryan James
    17 Luke O’Dwyer
    19 Steve Michaels

Coach John Cartwright

We've named a strong line up. The boys should be fired up by the prospect of going into hostile territory in a must win game.
    I think this game will gave us an indication of just how big a chance the Titans really are in this years comp.
    Time to shed the 'pretenders' tag and become contenders...

Hmmm Thompson in the centre again with Zilly on the wing. Could be worse I guess.

A very mobil Bench..Love It

Very glad to see Zillman,Presto & Prince on the park at the same time !!
    #itaintweaktospeak

Carty conundrum

GOLD Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says he is yet to settle on a right edge combination to tackle the Tigers on Friday, despite yesterday naming Bodene Thompson and William Zillman out wide.

With its flank in tatters following injuries to winger David Mead (foot) and centre Sam Tagataese (shoulder), Cartwright must now find a pairing capable of taking the Titans through to the finals.

Mead is gone for the season, while Tagataese is out for an indefinite period after being forced from the field against the Knights a fortnight ago.

"I am still undecided," said Cartwright. "We'll train with different combinations this week but we will make it clear before our last session.

"We have had to make a lot of changes during games the last couple of weeks.

"We had to do things on the run (against Newcastle) and Bodene handled himself really well and Zillman handled himself really well.

"It is all good for down the track but we have got to start winning."

In a boost for the Titans, skipper Scott Prince and utility Luke O'Dwyer both appear certain to return from hamstring injuries against the Bulldogs in Round 15.

Former Broncos centre Steve Michaels has been added as cover on a five-man bench. He is already in Sydney with the Queensland Residents side.

If called on, it will mark the 23-year-old's first appearance in Titans colours since walking out on the Broncos five weeks ago.

Promising rookie Ryan James returns to the fray, moving on to the bench with backrower Thompson shifting to the centres.

Cartwright said he would wait to discover the condition of Origin representatives Ash Harrison and Greg Bird before finalising his side for the Campbelltown clash.

"It would be nice for them to come through but ... I would imagine it is going to be a very physical game," he said.

"We are just working on the fact that they will get through but we have trained with 20-odd players this week, so we will be covered if they aren't there."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

I def want to see Michaels in the side in the centre position before Bodene. Everyone talks about his defence but his attack esp his line running is 1st class.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I def want to see Michaels in the side in the centre position before Bodene. Everyone talks about his defence but his attack esp his line running is 1st class.
    I'd prefer he starts this week rather than next Friday against the Donkeys
    #itaintweaktospeak

Don't underestimate how big this game is and don't underestimate how strong the Tigers will be with Lui back at half back.
    In or out of form Lui is a genuine half back and Benji is at his dangerous at 5/8.

On the Titans side...we have Prince back and I'm hoping to see some attacking plays produced.

Don't miss this game!