Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Aus v South Africa 1st Test thread.

Thread for discussion and results for the upcoming test.

My opinion is that South Africa are in a lot of trouble. They boost of having the third best attack yet the WA 2nd XI put 300 runs on them for the loss of only 5 wickets. WA also managed to outright them in a 4 day game at the WACA.

Could be a long summer unless their stars stand up and deliver - and that is only if they are fit!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

I can't see them putting up much of a fight. They performed poorly in the lead-up games and will probably continue that trend. I am tipping a 3-0 whitewash.

QLD Cup Titan

McGrath's in doubt which could hurt the Aussies a bit but i can't see the Proteas batting line up handling Lee's pace at all. To put up any resistance they badly need Kallis out there.

I cannot see anything barring a 3-0 whitewash.

I find it interesting this summer where the SA team (mainly the captain Smith) is resorting too a verbal joust in the media where in teams gone by the South Africans have just gone about their business - are they beaten already resorting to one liners in the media to give the impression they are not intimidated? I think so and the task is going to be even harder with no Kallis if he is ruled out.

I think the first test is make or break for Andrew Symonds as a Test player as well - if he falters, expect to see 'Pup' Clarke back in the side for the second test.

DeeGan

I think that is exactly what the "white lightning" Donald fears. REad in todays paper that he hopes the SA can back up Smith's Verbal barrage.

I think it is a case of trying to create some self confidence after being outplayed a few times.

Default Aus Line Up..

Bracken given Test nod
    By staff writers and wires
    December 15, 2005

NEW South Wales fast bowler Nathan Bracken has been given the nod over Stuart Clark for tomorrow's first Test against South Africa at the WACA Ground in Perth.

Best fit ... Bracken's ability to swing the ball will be crucial.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting said today he expected conditions in Perth to resemble those in Brisbane and that gave Bracken the edge over Clark, who has recently established himself in the limited-overs team.

"Leading into our preparations here, the last Test (Bracken) played he bowled really well," Ponting said.

South Africa, meanwhile, has yet to confirm whether or not star batsman Jacques Kallis will play.

Kallis, the world's No.1 batsman, has been struggling with an elbow injury that has kept him out of action since the start of the Proteas' tour.

He was given until Tuesday to prove his fitness, but that deadline was then pushed further out to give him more time to respond to treatment.

However, he was unable to bat in the practise nets yesterday and remains a major doubt for the tourists.

AUSTRALIA: Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting (captain), Brad Hodge, Mike Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Stuart Clark.

With AAP

3 seamers seems a little shallow here for the WACA - though Warne is not going to rest or get dropped. Symonds gentle medium pace should do the job when required.

Clarke's bounce would of been a good compliment to the trio of McGrath, Lee and Bracken as well.

DeeGan

South Africa (probable) 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 AB de Villiers, 3 Ashwell Prince, 4 Jacques Rudolph, 5 Herschelle Gibbs, 6 Justin Kemp, 7 Mark Boucher, 8 Shaun Pollock, 9 Charl Langeveldt, 10 Andre Nel, 11 Makhaya Ntini.

I agree though 3 seamers is a little short. If it was anyone but Warney we would have had the 4 quicks. Clark would have causes all sorts of mischief with his pace and height.

Default Aussies running Scared.

'Aussies scared of losing at home,' taunts Smith

December 15, 2005

Australia are worried about losing a Test series at home and are under enormous pressure to perform after the Ashes defeat in England, Graeme Smith, the South Africa captain, said on Thursday.

Speaking on the eve of the first Test at Perth, Smith said his players had taken heart from the Australians' reaction to the so-called "war of words" leading up to the match. "Even our comments, which were light-hearted in the beginning of the series, which were that it was obvious to see their middle-order is inexperienced in international cricket, has created a large reaction," Smith said. "So that tells us in our mind that they are also scared of losing in Australia. There is massive pressure on them and we have taken heart from that and it has certainly given us confidence going forward into the Test match."

Smith, who was clearly pumped-up for the match, denied his team had taken part in any 'sledging' before the Test despite widespread coverage of verbal barbs between the two sides. "We haven't made one comment about sledging," he said.

Ricky Ponting, the Australia captain, said he had a good relationship with Smith and did not read anything into the exchanges ahead of the three-Test series. "There has been a lot said and built up about this series already," Ponting said. "There's been a few things said about off the field leading into this Test match but I think that's finished now." He said it was not his style to criticise opposing teams but added that his team had been motivated by comments from the South African camp. "I am not one for coming out and making statements about opposition players or anything like that - its just not the way I go about playing cricket," he said. "A lot of our players like that and it's pretty apparent this week that a lot of the South Africans don't mind it either.

"As far as our players go I think it's something that actually motivates them and spurs them on a little bit more. If you look at the guys that do it they are generally the guys that put their hand up when things are at their toughest and they generally rise to the bigger occasions. So I think it might be just a little way for them to motivate themselves and put a little bit more pressure on the opposition."

? AFP

To me sounds like someone here is trying to talk themselves into believing they can win.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

i think people aren't giving the saffies enough credit.

Could be as they just got Hayden in the second over - but they have been lacking in the games so far.

Their bowling has been ok, but their batting has been abismal.

Default Lunch

Australia 96/1 (26.0 ov)
    South Africa Australia won the toss and elected to bat first

Lunch - Day 1 Australia RR: 3.69

Minimum overs
    remaining today: 64.0

Batsmen: R B 4s 6s S/R
    JL Langer (LHB) 33 73 6 0 45.21 Striker
    RT Ponting (RHB) 57 82 10 0 69.51 Non-striker

Bowlers: O M R W Econ
    CK Langeveldt (RFM) 7.0 1 29 0 4.14 (1nb, 0w)
    A Nel (RFM) 6 0 11 0 1.83 (0nb, 0w)

Ponting has looked fluent and totally in control, Langer has struggl;ed a little but is still there.

Langer out in similar fashion to Hayden.

Ponting out LBW