Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    The very Overrated Hannent Gonnne
    I don't believe any Queensland player is overated. They have all contributed to the historic win. U would have to be a N.S.Welshman to say that about Hannant. He is very unlucky to not get a spot off the bench. Ah, but the riches that Queensland has with playing talent, mean some miss out.
    GO QUEENSLAND!

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post
    i thought folau was going to be banned
    I think the ARL/NSWRL backed down. And good thing they did, best to focus on the formation of the intedependent commission and not squabble over this issue.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Taylor had a nervous wait

WHEN his phone hadn't rung, Dave Taylor started to get a little bit nervous about his Maroon jersey.

Knowing Petero Civoniceva was due for a return, Taylor, who only debuted in Game 1, was banking on a show of faith from coach Mal Meninga and yesterday he got it when he joined his teammates in camp at Coolum ahead of next Wednesday's series finale in Sydney.

"I was quite nervous (on Monday) night," laughed an ecstatic Taylor, who kept his spot ahead of former Burleigh junior Ben Hannant.

"I hadn't received a phone call and it was about 7 o'clock and I was thinking maybe I would have to wait for another chance.

"But I'm extremely happy they stuck with me and extremely privileged to be back."

With injury forcing big Petero out of the Maroons' victorious outing at Suncorp Stadium earlier this month, he was yesterday welcomed back by Meninga, who admits the 34-year-old's return was a significant boost.

"It's always great to bring Petero into the side. He is the No. 1 prop in the game, highly respected and his presence is a big boost for the team," said Meninga of Civoniceva.

A man of loyalty, evident in that 11 players named for next week had played a part in at least the past three series, Meninga said the decision to leave Hannant out of the squad had been extremely tough.

He said it was the unfortunate timing of the Bulldogs prop's knee injury, that kept him out of Origin 1, that eventually cost him.

"With Benny it was unfortunate he was injured when the first team was going to be selected," he said.

"It was a hard one but in the end Dave Shillington, Matty Scott and Dave Taylor played really well in the first two games.

"Matty Scott was nearly the best player in Game 1, Dave Shillington was the best player in Game 2 and Dave Taylor's impact off the bench has been fantastic.

"And you don't leave the No.1 prop in the game (Civoniceva) out of your side," said Meninga.

"Unfortunately Ben was the victim of those circumstances."

Known for his ability to wreak havoc on the opposition defence, Taylor hopes he can provide a greater impact for the Maroons from the bench after his marked improvement in Game 2.

In the middle of the dust-up with Blues forward Luke O'Donnell, Taylor, who turns 22 a day after next week's battle, delivered a performane he said had proven to himself he could play Origin.

"I wasn't too sure coming into the first camp how I would adapt to the way Origin was played and I was pretty happy with how I went," he said.

"I'm glad I have another chance."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Maroons too ****y, says Bird

TITANS playmaker Greg Bird knows he may upset some of the locals on the Gold Coast but he wants them to know they're `dreaming' if they think a Queensland cleansweep is home and hosed.

Bird's back in the Blues' fold for the first time since 2008 and has scoffed at talk Darren Lockyer's Maroons are unbeatable in next week's final State of Origin clash.

"There's no team that's unbeatable," said Bird as he joined the Blues in camp at ANZ Stadium in Sydney yesterday to prepare for next Wednesday's game.

"You know it was (only) five or six years ago they were saying the same thing about NSW.

"They were talking about calling it quits and how NSW will never get beaten but that's just how things change. There's no reason why it can't turn back the other way again. I definitely think they're beatable."

Bird will play lock in the Sydney showdown next Wednesday for Game 3.

The former Test and Origin five-eighth only returned to the NRL this season from French side Les Catalans.

"I was away for a year and I never expected to come back and slip straight back into where I was," said Bird.

"I wasn't resting on my laurels. I had to come back and earn a spot. I'm just happy that I've earnt it back and it's not because of my past performances, it's because of my current form.

"I was disappointed that I didn't have a say in the result of Game 1 or 2. Now I have a say and I'm going to go out there and give it everything I've got."

Prior to Sunday's loss to the Knights, the Titans had bounced back from a mid-season slump to string together back-to-back wins.

Bird believes the fact he showed selectors his combinations at the club were slowly coming together, helped him reclaim a Blues jumper.

"I've always said when I came back that it's a growing thing and you improve week by week when you slip into a new team especially in the halves," he said.

"But the team that I've got around me has given me the opportunity to find my form to earn this position.

"The team I have around me is great up there with Luke Bailey and Brad Meyers up front and `Princey' leading us around with `Presto' and Matty Rogers with the speed.

"That's just experience and then you've got the youth coming through in David Mead and Kevin Gordon and the likes.

"We have a great mix of players up there and I'm just lucky that I have a good team that can compliment my game."

While he rates the Queenslanders as `definitely beatable' the 25-year-old knows only too well what Darren Lockyer led Maroon teams can do to the Blues especially when the likes of Greg Inglis and Israel Folau are on fire.

With four rookies and eight changes to the side beaten in game two in Brisbane the Blues are very much starting from scratch but Bird's confident a new era is not far away for NSW.

"Yeah definitely. In '07 we had to prevent the cleansweep and we did that," he said.

"In '08 I think that was probably our biggest opportunity to knock them off. Winning Game 1, getting done in two and having the game in our grasp in Game 3 and just losing it right at the end there.

"I've been involved in the highs and lows of rugby league at all levels so I'm definitely, definitely glad to be back and glad to have an opportunity to try and turn the tide.

"I think their (Queensland) domination has been everywhere. You can't hide from it and we've gotta go out there and try and build something a lot of people haven't seen for the last five or six years."

Tweed boy to face Queenland big guns

Blues new boy Michael Gordon says there is no better test than going up against the best

HE'S the Tweed Coast Raider brought in as part of a massive revamp of the Blues side but Michael Gordon knows he'll be the one under siege during his State of Origin debut and he has no fears.

The Penrith winger has replaced Canberra Raider Joel Monaghan in the NSW side for next Wednesday's Game 3 in Sydney.

At just 179cm Gordon gives away plenty in height to Queensland backline giants Israel Folau and Greg Inglis who are both 195cm.

"I think it'll be a great test," he admitted in an understatement.

"There's talk they're one of the best teams in Origin history and there's no better test than going up against the best so I think it'll be unreal."

As for talk the new Blues face a mauling in what many see as Mission Impossible: "No. Not at all. Well I'm sure we'll be going out to win it and I'll be going out to do my best and I'm sure everyone else will be.

"It's something you dream of, you want to play against the best so I'm looking forward to it."

Gordon has been waiting for this moment since he first pulled on a boot with Tweed Coast.

The former Kingscliff High student switched to Seagulls for a crack at Queensland Cup before the Panthers swooped and he made his top grade debut for the club in 2006.

The 26-year-old is the competition's leading pointscorer with 148 points from seven tries and 60 goals.

"Obviously it helps being a goal kicker but hopefully I got picked on my form rather than just kicking," said Gordon, who's not sure yet if he'll take the shots for the Blues.

"I haven't spoken to them. I don't know if they want me to kick but if they do I'll be more than happy to.

"I'm pretty nervous kicking in the NRL so it'd just be a bit of extra (pressure). Once I had that first kick I'd know how I'm going."

Gordon was the bolter for the Blues with fellow rookies and front rowers Kade Snowden, Tim Mannah and Jason King long mentioned as possible changes to the side that lost Game 2.

While Gordon's name was tossed up at the weekend he didn't believe it when Penrith chief executive Mick Leary called with the news.

"It was a bit hard to contain myself but, yeah, I still had to watch the press conference to make sure it was real," said Gordon.

"It's a bit overwhelming, a bit surreal but no I'm just stoked to be here. It was definitely a shock and I wasn't really expecting it but I'm just over the moon."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

It'll be strictly business for Qld

QUEENSLAND players will resist the temptation to use tomorrow night's `dead' Origin rubber in Sydney to square up for what they believe has been a dirty series by a desperate Blues outfit.

While warning the Blues they had had a gutful of their underhanded tactics, the Maroons vowed to maintain their steely discipline in Origin 3 in the hope of confirming their greatness with a clean sweep.

Queensland warhorse Petero Civoniceva revealed the Maroons have watched a `lowlights' video package compiled by furious coach Mal Meninga, displaying unsavoury incidents and cheap shots employed by the Blues in a desperate bid to avoid an embarrassing fifth straight series loss.

Hooker Cameron Smith said he was shocked at the amount of niggle which went unnoticed by referees during Queensland's series-clinching 34-6 win at Suncorp Stadium.

"I wouldn't say I was surprised by it ... I was probably more surprised at how much of it there was. It was pretty much every tackle," he said.

"I didn't see it on the night but we've seen a clip where Sammy (Sam Thaiday) takes the ball up early in the game and (NSW forward Michael) Weyman grabs him by the hair and rips his head back.

"That stuff's a bit uncalled for. There's always going to be a bit of niggle when you know you're playing against a good side that you don't know how to stop."

With NSW reuniting renowned enforcers Greg Bird and Paul Gallen for Origin 3, Smith isn't expecting any less tomorrow night.

"We've already spoken about it and what we need to do," declared Smith.

"We've just got to keep a cool head, cop what they dish out.

"A few years ago blokes would have got up swinging and be filthy about what they've copped. We know you've just got to take your medicine and not get sucked in because that's what's best for the side."

Smith said Queensland's strength throughout the 2010 series had been discipline and a staunch refusal to get caught up in the niggle.

And even if they are well ahead on the scoreboard, Smith doubts there'll be any square-ups at ANZ Stadium.

"Maybe if we're up by 30 with five minutes to go the big boys might bung something on," he grinned.

"That's why we're a better footy side, we just worry about playing football and not putting in any of the other stuff.

"At this level, if you get caught up in that stuff it doesn't work, it just becomes a bash-a-thon.

"We've got a good enough football side to put points on the board rather than be putting forearms on someone's head or pulling hair."

Meninga's champion Queensland side can put the icing on their Origin cake by completing the state's first clean sweep since 1995 tomorrow night.

"It's hard enough winning an Origin series let alone clean sweeping it," said Smith.

"But it would be nice and all the boys are pretty desperate to do it because we might not ever do it again."

Barrett hungry for a Blues victory

STOP the clean sweep -- that's the mission for NSW skipper Trent Barrett as he looks to lay the foundation for the Blues' State of Origin revival.

Queensland have already won a historic fifth series in a row but the Maroons are determined to heap more misery on the Blues.

A 3-0 whitewash would be the ultimate humiliation but Barrett says an upset victory at Sydney's ANZ Stadium tomorrow night would give the Blues the confidence they can end Queensland's reign in 2011.

"This isn't a dead rubber for us. This is a really important game," said Barrett.

"The series is gone but we have to restore some pride and we've got to stop a clean sweep. We have really got an eye to next year's series and the selectors have shown that with a lot of the guys they have picked."

NSW had no answer for the attacking might of the Maroons in Game 2 in Brisbane.

The Blues claimed Timana Tahu's walkout from camp after racist remarks were made by assistant coach Andrew Johns had no impact but Barrett said yesterday 'certainly you can do without it'.

This time NSW selectors have made eight changes to their line-up, including four Origin rookies in winger Michael Gordon and props Kade Snowden, Tim Mannah and Jason King.

Panthers flier Michael Jennings will also play his first Origin for the year in the centres and Barrett believes the changes give them much more potency in attack.

"I think we've got the team here that can do it," said Barrett.

For Barrett, tomorrow night's game will bring down the curtain on a State of Origin career which kicked off in 1997.

The young gun from the Illawarra Steelers was thrown in to a Blues side coached by Origin legend Tommy Raudonikis.

"It's been a hell of a ride," said Barrett, who's now at the Sharks after a lengthy career primarily with the merged St George-Illawarra and Wigan.

"If anyone had have told me I would have been able to do the things I've done I would have been pretty happy with it.

"I'm really excited and glad I've been given an opportunity.

"With me probably more than likely to retire, this will probably be my last Origin and it's one that I want to remember and one that I want to win," he said.

NSW's dirty three exposed, but Maroons won't rise to Origin niggle tactics

THESE are the three Blues Queensland have exposed as cheap-shot merchants in the secret dossier fuelling the Maroons' mission to embarrass NSW in Origin III tomorrow night.

A smouldering Queensland squad believes Paul Gallen, Michael Ennis and one-off skipper Trent Barrett stand at the heart of NSW tactics labelled illegal and grubby.

As revealed in The Courier-Mail yesterday, the Maroons have been presented vision of numerous Blues cheap shots unleashed in this year's fiery interstate series, giving them added ammunition to humiliate NSW at Sydney's ANZ Stadium tomorrow night.

"Game Two, there was plenty of it, seeing the replay it was more than I actually thought there was during the game," Smith said. "That was part of their tactics, to try to get under our skin and put us off our game.

"But that's why we played so well, we didn't let any of that get to us, we didn't buy into any of their niggle on the ground. We just did our talking on the scoreboard.

"I was surprised with how much of it there was, it was pretty much every tackle there was something in there. He (Meninga) showed us a few clips just to show us what went on and the blokes that were involved.

"I didn't see it on the night but we've seen a clip where Sammy (Thaiday) took a hit-up early on and (suspended prop Michael Weyman) Weyman actually grabbed his hair and ripped his head back. That sort of stuff is a bit uncalled for."

Gallen unleashed a late shot and follow-up elbow on Maroons forward Nate Myles in Origin II, while ill-feeling with Barrett dates backs to his sickening high shot on Greg Inglis in Game Two last year.

But it is the litter of other unnoticed and unpoliced ruck incidents, brought to their attention by Meninga's think-tank, which have Queensland primed to deliver the Blues their last rites on the eve of their historic cleansweep bid.

"There's always going to be a bit of niggle when you know you're playing against a good side and you don't know how to stop them," Smith said.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Great idea for the Maroons to throw the focus on them, so if they do it, hopefully they get pinged for it!

Everyone pumped for Origin tonight? I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Mate i'm a Battered Blue but i still can't wait
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Already dressed in Maroon, the food's ready - just waiting for the gang to arrive to witness a MAROONWASH!!!!

Banned

what are the odds of qld winning 2nite?

I liked that version of the anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons View Post
    I liked that version of the anthem
    I'm sure it was to keep Ingliss happy
    #itaintweaktospeak