Nowhere to run

HE is being hailed the fastest man in the NRL but flying Gold Coast Titans winger Kevin Gordon may not get the chance to back up the hype.

Gordon has been installed as favourite for the highly-anticipated showdown at Sydney's Olympic Park on September 15 to determine who is the quickest NRL player over 100m.

But the Bulletin can reveal he is yet to be approached by event organisers, while the Titans refuse to guarantee they will let him race at the meet, which falls in between the first and second week of the NRL finals series.

Gold Coast general manager of football Scott Clark yesterday said the club would be cautious about letting Gordon compete if the Titans were still in the premiership fight.

"We have heard that they want him but no one has officially approached us about it," said Clark.

"If it was out of season and he had no injury concerns we would like to see him do it for himself and it would be good promotion for the club. But we will have to wait and see."

Held as part of the Competitive Edge Athletic All Stars meet, the NRL's Fastest Man will feature eight speedsters vying for a $20,000 purse as well as the coveted title.

It will take place on the track, with players wearing running spikes.

Maroons and Storm star Greg Inglis and Parramatta fullback Jarryd Hayne have already committed to the race but it is Gordon who has been posted as the $5 favourite in a preliminary Centrebet market.

After a slow start, Gordon has doubled his season tally with three tries in the Coast's past two wins over the Sea Eagles and the Bulldogs.

Titans backline veteran Mat Rogers had a front row seat for Gordon's blistering long-range effort against Canterbury on Friday, when he pounced on a loose ball before sprinting away from noted Bulldogs speedsters Josh Morris, Steve Turner and Bryson Goodwin to score.

"When I went in to make that tackle I saw the ball spill out and I saw it on the ground," said Rogers.

"My first thought was `if Kevie picks that up no one will stop him'.

"He had a bit of work to do still and it was impressive. You think you can catch him, but you can't."

Rogers has no doubt Gordon would be officially crowned the fastest man in league if given the chance, rating him the quickest player he has seen during his 16-year professional career.

"I have played with a few quick guys but probably none with his genuine pace," said Rogers.

The Titans, meanwhile, are waiting to discover the extent of the hamstring injuries to skipper Scott Prince and utility Luke O'Dwyer after both had their scans postponed yesterday.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/