Default Wendell Sailor: This could be the year for the Gold Coast Titans

This could be the year for the Gold Coast Titans
    Wendell Sailor

MAKE no mistake, the Gold Coast Titans can win the comp this year.

They are right in the mix as legitimate contenders because when it comes to a recipe for success, they have all the ingredients.

Something special is cooking on the Coast. I'd love to see the Dragons win the premiership this year but if St George Illawarra played the Gold Coast in the grand final, I'd be nervous. Very nervous.

Here's why:

Greg Bird: The guy is a winner. I remember a few seasons ago he won just about every man-of-the-match award going in rep football. He was unstoppable. He showed he loved the big occasion. He loves the championship minutes and he'll go another level in the finals.

Speed to burn: There's no substitute for genuine pace and the Titans have plenty of it out wide with their wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead. They are true finishers. I get excited when they get the ball. They know their way to the tryline and they have got class players like Mat Rogers inside them to provide plenty of time and space ? not that they need much.

A hard-working pack: The Titans have a backrow as good as any in the comp. They have an immense work ethic. Guys like Anthony Laffranchi, Ashley Harrison and Mark Minichiello are great workhorses and upfront you know what you will get from a player like Luke Bailey.

Nathan Friend is a sensational player. Under-rated for too long, he is getting the recognition he deserves.

The pain of 2009: The Titans would be hurting after going out of the finals in straight sets last year. I know the boys at the Dragons are. The Gold Coast players wouldn't have talked about it a lot but it would be in the back of their minds. It hurt their pride and it would have driven them on during every training session over the summer.

They will not want that to happen again.

Smart coaching: John Cartwright is a very good coach. He will make a very good rep coach one day. He has a great team around him.

Assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister and trainer Ronny Palmer know what it takes to succeed and elder statesman Chris Close brings plenty of passion.

The Titans struggled last year to find another level when under the finals pump. It looked like they didn't have a Plan B. They do have some nice variety in their game. This is a team that doesn't just rely on one bloke to get the job done. A nice blend of youth and experience shows the club's recruitment strategies are spot on too.

Class: You need a good playmaker to win a comp and with Scotty Prince you have got one of the best.

He has delivered in September, and you couldn't hope to have a better person steering the ship when it matters.

So that's about it. If the Titans can stay injury-free and take some momentum into the finals, they will be very hard to beat.

They already have one of the best grounds in the comp, they just need a trophy for the cabinet.

That might not be far away.

Source: Courier Mail
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Nice to hear someone saying something positive about the titans.

The Dell has much more intelligence than i would have given him credit for..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Dell can have his moments, he can speak well. But he needs to discard the LOGIE/Dellavision B.S.

A good wrap of our team and really makes me realise the depth and quality we enjoy. Can't wait to see them this arvo!

They already have one of the best grounds in the comp, they just need a trophy for the cabinet.

That might not be far away.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 27-06-10 at 08:49 AM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

like dell, but usually he wraps anything and everything about the dragons.

unless we change our game plan we wont even make it
    2012 TITANS Will be a force to be reckoned with

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimbeam06 View Post
    unless we change our game plan we wont even make it
    yeh, 1st we have to beat the knights, oh wait we lost because titans always build your confidence about them up only to go crap.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    yeh, 1st we have to beat the knights, oh wait we lost because titans always build your confidence about them up only to go crap.
    You are a Tosser who bags their own team the minute they lose a match
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    You are a Tosser who bags their own team the minute they lose a match
    vbvbv thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    vbvbv thanks
    Only drink Tooheys thanks
    #itaintweaktospeak

We can't panic. We are still equal 3rd, 4th on points difference in the Premiership.

It is frustrating not to have the team clicking and not beating the perceived weak teams that we should win. IE Cowboys, Raiders, Knights and Roosters. And we were favourites to roll the Broncos. At least we are in the position to bag the wins we did and also be favourites to squash these other teams, even if we didn't succeed. I can hack the loses to the Dragons,

I mean we aren't getting owned week in week out. Even against the Dragons we had all the chance in the world.

Think of the Bulldogs, going for 7 straight loses. Stocks in teams go up and down. I think stocks in the Titan are pretty stable, even if frustrating. We have had a consistent 3.5 seasons. Which much of our freefalls to do with the absence of Scott Prince.

Banned

i dont think we will ever get a smashing against a team........