Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

A news crew watches the Titans train without Presto so Rogers goes to 5/8 & an injured Michaels fills the vacant centres spot for a training drill ... wouldn't matter even if he played we'll still belt the Knights
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    A news crew watches the Titans train without Presto so Rogers goes to 5/8 & an injured Michaels fills the vacant centres spot for a training drill ... wouldn't matter even if he played we'll still belt the Knights

I wouldnt mind seeing Gidley under the pump from the Legion.

I could sure think of plenty to say to him!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Preview from Newcastle Knights website

ROUND 16 PREVIEW: TITANS v KNIGHTS

VENUE & TIME: Skilled Park, Sunday 27 June, 3pm (AEST)
    COVERAGE: Channel Nine/NBN 4pm
    HEAD TO HEAD: Played 6; Newcastle 3, Gold Coast 3
    LAST TIME: 2010, Gold Coast d Newcastle 38-36

Lets rewind the clock back to earlier this year in Round 9 of the Telstra Premiership when the high flying Gold Coast came to town to heartbreakingly snatch victory from the Newcastle Knights. Newcastle became the team to score the most points and lose in the history of the NRL, racking up a massive 36 points but still losing in the dying minutes.

Well now it’s pay back time for Newcastle! The Knights are aiming to get one back on the Titans at Skilled Park this weekend while their inspirational skipper, Scott Prince, sits helpless on the sidelines.

HOW THEY LINE UP
    The Knights have largely kept the same side that won against the Eels on Monday night. Dan Tolar is starting this week moving Richie Fa'aoso back to the bench. While Matt Hilder will start at lock this weekend and Mark Taufua will join Fa’aoso off the bench. Con Mika is the only new name in the side but he has been named on a five man bench with Joel Edwards.

In comparison the Titans team is much more unsettled coming into the match. As mentioned before the Titan’s captain, Scott Prince, is out injured but luckily 2001 Dally M winner Preston Campbell returns from injury to replace Prince at halfback. Luke Bailey will also make his return this week pushing Matthew White back to the bench and Aaron Cannings out of the side.

Ashley Harrison also returns at lock moving Mark Minichiello to the second row and Bodene Thompson back to the bench. 21-year-old Kayne Lawton has been named on the bench to make his 2010 debut.

HISTORY
    The two sides are on three wins each heading into this match. The Titans do have a one game advantage over Newcastle at Skilled Park but the Knights will be looking to bounce back from their round 9 defeat earlier this year.

KEY PLAYERS
    The Newcastle team is basically the same as last week so as a team the Knights desperately need to improve on their error rate. Last week’s completion rate was terrible, with the Knights committing 19 errors in the game. Ben Rogers will be looking to improve on his three errors (the highest on the field). The Knights need to concentrate on the little things such as ball control and giving away penalties if they want to remain competitive this week.

MY TIP
    The Knights need a massive improvement over last week if they are to win two games in a row for the first time this year. The Titans are one of the top sides and would have put the Knights to the sword last week. However this is a new week and the Knights have some much needed momentum and if able to eliminate the errors have areal chance of winning this one.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

'Bull' confident of taking on Knights
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Bailey is confident of being cleared to make his return from injury for Sunday’s clash against Newcastle at Skilled Park.

Bailey missed last weekend’s clash against the Bulldogs with an ankle injury and has been unable to resume full training with the rest of the Titans squad this week ahead of Sunday’s clash.

However, he said he was more than hopeful of being given the green light to play when he tests his injured ankle out at the side’s final training session at Skilled Park tomorrow morning.

“I’m pretty confident. I’ve laid off it this week and had a good break so Carty has given me until Saturday,’’ said Bailey.

“I’ll have a good run on it on Saturday and see how it pulls up.’’

Dynamo Preston Campbell will also undergo a fitness test on his bruised heal when the side finalises its preparations for the clash against the Knights tomorrow.

If cleared to play, Campbell will wear the Titans’ No.7 jersey in the absence of injured captain Scott Prince (hamstring).

The 4th placed Titans could leap to 3rd spot on the NRL ladder with a win against the Knights ahead of next weekend's Round 17 bye.

The 12th-placed Knights will be desperate for a win to keep in touch with the top-8 heading into the final 10 rounds of the competition.

The match is the designated Women in League round which will see all NRL clubs pay tribute to the many females involved in all levels of the game.

To support the initiative, the Titans are offering special discounted seating for families of 4 for just $40 in the club’s Steel section (Category 3) on Sunday.

Tickets can be purchased through the Ticketek call centre on 132 849 or via the website at http://www.ticketek.com.au

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Titans coping without Prince

THE theory that the Titans cannot win without skipper Scott Prince has been harpooned once and for all, with exclusive statistics revealing the Gold Coast adapt to the loss of their main playmaker far better than any other Queensland side.

After missing four games earlier this year with a broken thumb, Prince now faces up to a month on the sideline after tearing his right hamstring against the Bulldogs last week.

The loss of the star halfback for such a significant chunk of the season would have rocked the Titans in their early years.

But it seems those past lessons have led to coach John Cartwright building a side that does not rely as heavily on its backline general as much as other teams in the NRL.

"I know that no one can play like Princey but between Rat (Mat Rogers), Presto (Preston Campbell) and Birdy (Greg Bird), we have got the ultimate solution," said Titans prop Luke Bailey.

"The emphasis is also on the forwards the next couple of weeks to make sure we give Rat, Birdy and Presto the time they need.

"I have never been more confident that we can do the job."

The Titans pushed premiership favourites the Dragons and defeated last year's grand finalists the Storm and Sea Eagles in Prince's absence between Round 4 and Round 7.

Since 2007, the Gold Coast boast a 54 per cent strike rate when Prince is on the park.

While the winning percentage falls to 37.5 per cent when he is missing, it is still well ahead of Queensland rivals the Broncos and Cowboys.

The Broncos win 62.7 per cent of their games when Darren Lockyer is in the No.6, but they fall in a heap when the Australia and Maroons great is sidelined, the percentage plummeting to just 29.2.

The Cowboys have won 43.4 per cent of games since 2007 with Johnathan Thurston at the helm, but manage to win just 30.8 per cent of games without him.

"I don't see myself by any stretch in his (Prince) league in terms of ball playing," said veteran Rogers, who assumed control of the Coast backline last week against the Bulldogs after Prince limped off.

"A lot of our really good play starts from Friendy (Nathan Friend) anyway.

"He is really the one who gets us going forward and makes the breaks and he is a great ball player in his own right.

"Birdy has been doing well on the edges as well.

"I probably add a bit of a kicking game there as well, giving us a left and a right foot option."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Presto healing hopes

TITANS medical staff rate game-breaker Preston Campbell as having a 70 per cent chance of overcoming a nagging heel injury in time to run out against the Newcastle Knights at Skilled Park tomorrow.

While prop Luke Bailey (ankle) will almost certainly take his place, doubts still linger over the fitness of the veteran livewire Campbell.

Pencilled in to line-up in the halves alongside Greg Bird, the Titans will be forced into a major backline reshuffle should the 33-year-old struggle to recover from the club's final training session today.

Titans physiotherapist Scott Thornton yesterday said he was confident Campbell would be fit to play.

"He still has that bruising in his heel but it seems to have settled down," said Thornton.

"So we are going to give him a run and if he gets through training hopefully he will play.

"I would say he would be 70 per cent."

Campbell was close to playing last week against the Bulldogs, taking part in the final session before pulling up sore the day of the game.

Despite having the bye next week, Thornton said there was no temptation to rest Campbell from the Knights clash to ensure the he was right to take on top four rivals Wests Tigers in Round 18.

"We are not really going to take that into consideration," said Thornton.

"It will be more on how he is going to perform this weekend.

"He was close last week but he did run and then he got sore, so that made the decision for us.

"But he is keen to play if he gets through the session okay."

If Campbell is out, rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and former Bronco Steve Michaels lining up at left centre inside winger Kevin Gordon.

The last time the two sides met -- in Round 9 in Newcastle -- it resulted in one of the most bizarre games of the season.

The Titans triumphed with a narrow 38-36 victory, which saw the Knights equal the premiership record for the most points scored by a losing team, it was a loss which left the Knights fuming.

Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston accused match officials of incompetence, labelling one no-try ruling as 'the most disgraceful game-turning decision I've seen in a long time'.

Knights prop Ben Cross this week said Newcastle would head to Robina hunting a game of payback.

"We need to get one back on them," said Cross.

Cross said a win would help them get `back on track'.

Last line of defence a risky zone

TITANS prop Luke Bailey says the Gold Coast cannot afford another flimsy defensive effort against Newcastle and must start rectifying their woeful tackling record in the run to the finals.

In a worrying sign, fresh statistics show the Titans have one of the worst goal-line defences in the competition.

The Coast are conceding an average of two tries per match from within 10m of their line, a major reason why they have leaked more points than any other top-eight side so far this season.

The 12th-placed Knights have the worst record, letting in an average of 2.21 tries from inside their red-zone per game, while the 13th-placed Sharks aren't much better with 2.15.

"We are looking to obviously fix up our little areas in our discipline and tidy things up heading into the finals," said Bailey.

"We were pretty flimsy in defence (last time we played the Knights in Round 9). That was one of our worst games of the season.

"There is only nine or 10 weeks to go, so we can't afford to be tossing up things like that."

The statistics from NRL.com show that competition leaders the Dragons boast the best goal-line defence in the competition, averaging just 0.86 tries a game from inside their own 10m. The third-placed Wests Tigers are second (1.08), while the Storm are third (1.29).

The Titans worked hard on their goal-line defence this week.

Although Bailey watched from the sidelines, nursing an ankle injury, the tough frontrower is expected to return after missing last week's win over the Bulldogs.

"We were sitting a bit pretty early on and it wasn't an indication of how we were performing," he said.

"We are around third or fourth now and I think that justifies our performances. We have still got a lot of work to do.

"Last year we were all done by the semis by the time they started, but this year we are still improving and hopefully we will be ready to go pretty soon."

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

I wouldnt mind seeing Gidley under the pump from the Legion.
    Oh dont worrie he will be copping it...... I'v allready started thinking of things....

Michaels I think ppl are not gving our coaches enough cred.... I think with our coaches he will be a better player in so many ways......

Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell trained strongly this morning and will provide the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans with a huge boost ahead of tomorrows game against the Knights.

Source: Titans FB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Michaels is a good player, he had a lil bit of a run with misreads in defence at the broncos but that was at a time in the Broncos when they were ordinary. Michaels attack far exceeds anything else we could bring into the team and he is quick
    toopi and akoula IMO are better, is tonga any closer to a return?

Campbell boost for Titans

Anxious Titans coaching staff have had their injury fears quelled with news Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey will line-up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday afternoon.

The veteran duo powered through Saturday's final training session to prove their fitness after they both failed to make an appearance on the track during the week

Campbell - who has been nursing a bruised right-heel, was proving to be the biggest worry with the 33-year-old set to fill the void left by injured skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) at half-back.

"I pulled up good and I think I'll be right to play," Campbell reassured Saturday morning.

"I make sure that I'm at least 100 percent right going into a game but I'm feeling pretty confident of playing the full 80 minutes on Sunday." he said.

Overcoming a troublesome ankle strain, Bailey's presence upfront along with the return of Queensland Origin rep Ashley Harrison will also add some bite back into the Titans defence which rates the worst among the top-eight for points conceded this season.

Relieved to have a first-choice line-up at his disposal Titans boss John Cartwright said a strong showing against Rick Stone's men was crucial in keeping up with frontrunners St. George and Penrith ? both of whom registered wins on Friday night.

"It's a big game for us there is a little bit of a break at the top of the table and we can be a part of that or we can be back in the mix," Cartwright said.

"We're getting into that stage of the year now where you have to start looking at those things so a win going into a bye would leave us in a good position."

"I think every side is desperate at the moment because nobody's not a chance of making the eight."

"Three wins in a row can either move you from the middle of the table to top-four or bottom of the table to top-eight."

Currently sitting fourth on 20 points a win for Gold Coast would see it leapfrog the Tigers into third and begin the break-away from fifth placed Manly (18 points), who finds itself separated by just two points from the 10th placed Warriors.

But if recent meetings are anything to go-by Sunday's encounter could produce another thriller after the Round 9 hit-out between the Knights and Titans saw the visitors register a 38-36 win at Energy Australia Stadium.

Preferring to avoid the heart-stoppers though Cartwright says he's looking for his charges to take control of Newcastle early on and pull down the shutters in defence.

"I like our fight when things get tough it's nice to know you can do that but the key is not getting into those situations," he said.

"It's getting sides to the sword and going on with the game and that hasn't been something we've been able to do this year."

"But on the reverse, when we have put ourselves in a precarious situation we've been able to find ways to get out."

Source: http://sportal.com.au

Campbell and Bailey set to play Knights

Titans duo Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey have come through 11th hour fitness tests and are expected to line up in their NRL clash against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday.

The two very experienced campaigners will give Gold Coast fans a lift after they failed to train all week.

"They got through that session OK at this stage, they should be right," said coach John Cartwright.

Advertisement: Story continues below"We'll be a bit cautious until we get to the game and until we get them onto the field

"We'll check to see how they are in the morning and if they've got no ill effects, they'll both play.

Metre-maker Bailey (ankle) and match-winner Campbell (bruised heel) complete the full session at Skilled Park.

With playmaker and skipper Scott Prince sidelined with a small hamstring tear, Campbell will slot into the key No.7 jumper where he's performed brilliantly in the past.

Bailey will add some muscle up front against the Knights, who successfully turned last weekend's clash with Parramatta into a grind before snatching a late win.

The stakes are higher for 12th-placed Newcastle, who kept their top eight hopes alive with their last-gasp 6-4 win over the Eels, thanks to a magnificent 79th minute Kurt Gidley sideline conversion.

The Titans though have plenty of incentive with a victory possibly moving them into third place behind the Dragons and Penrith, both impressive winners on Friday night.

The seemingly ageless Campbell is just the man to take over from Prince and he will prove a constant threat to Newcastle's defence, which within 10 metres of it's try line, is the worst in the NRL.

Clashes between the two clubs stand at 3-3 and 1-1 at Skilled Park where the Titans are so hard to toss.

The last time they clashed the Titans scraped home 38-36 in a high scoring game in Newcastle.

Newcastle have basically stuck with the side which toughed it out against Eels.

Dan Tolar will start at prop forcing Richie Faaoso to the bench while Matt Hilder will shift to lock pushing Mark Taufua to the pine.

http://news.smh.com.au/

The final battle of two survivors

IT is a battle which has waged since the two crossed paths as rookie wingers way back in 1995.

But tomorrow, at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, "Rat" and "Mad Dog" - aka Mat Rogers and Adam Macdougall - will go head-to-head for what is likely to be the final time.

Astonishingly, the clash will be dual-international Rogers' 188th NRL appearance - 10 more than his long-time rival has managed, despite Rogers having spent five years with the Waratahs and Wallabies playing rugby.

When told of the bizarre statistic, Rogers, 34, was only partly surprised and responded cautiously, careful not to give Macdougall, 35, any added motivation before what is a vital match for both teams.

"Really?" Rogers said. "I guess he has had a few setbacks over his career. We have been going at it for a fair while now.

"It's always good fun. You know you are in for a battle against Mad Dog. He is a class athlete.

"I suppose one thing that tells you is that he doesn't play unless he is 100 per cent. So when you get out on that field and you see you are marking him, you know you are in for a bit of a battle.

"We are both at that stage where the young blokes around see us as the wily, old veterans. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were the young blokes.

"But it will be fun. I am looking forward to it."

Two weeks back from a knee injury some feared would prematurely end what will almost certainly be Rogers' last year in the NRL, the classy backline utility said he is starting to "find his feet" before the race to the finals, which will begin in earnest once the State of Origin series is completed.

There he will have his final chance to add an elusive premiership ring to the Wallabies and Kangaroos caps and State of Origin appearances.

As strange as it seems, 2010 looms as perhaps his best chance at a title, given the wide open nature of this year's competition following Melbourne's disqualification and the fact the Titans squad appears primed to seriously challenge the likes of heavyweights Manly and St George Illawarra.

"Over the past few years, you have tended to have a couple of teams everyone else was chasing but with Melbourne not in the running, it looks very open," Rogers said.

"The Dragons have been the most consistent side. Wayne Bennett is a great coach he knows what it takes to be successful."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/

Sunday: Isolated showers and light rain areas, clearing overnight. Light to moderate W to NW winds becoming SW during the day.