Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Banned

i really think we need a shallacking of thew knights to really show everyone that we are title contenders, not win close ones against crap teams then choke out.

I remember last year at this time we were still licking our lips at the prospect of a 40+ scoreline...and we are still waiting.

I hope this weekend will be our weekend. Hopefully bouyed by a passionate home crowd.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights
    Sunday, Skilled Park, 3pm

Referees: Steve Lyons and Alan Shortall
    Head to head: Titans 3, Knights 3
    Last clash: Titans 38-36 at EnergyAustralia Stadium (rd 9, 2010)
    TAB SportsBet: Titans $1.50, Knights $2.50
    FootyTab: Knights +6.5

The Titans play with plenty of commitment - that's not their problem. But they have a few defensive issues when opposition teams spread the ball wide that they are yet to overcome. The Knights are not the most dynamic attacking side in the competition, but they do have a flyer out wide in winger Akuila Uate, who scores plenty of tries, so if they get into positon they could give the Titans some headaches. But the Knights are really going to have to be on their game to challenge the Titans on the road.

The Titans hit big hurdle recently when they lost three games in a row - to the Broncos, Roosters and Raiders. Fortunately, they had piled up plenty of wins early in the season, so they had something to fall back on, but they couldn't allow their losing run to go on for much longer and they have recovered to win their last two games - against the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs. They overcame significant injury problems against the Bulldogs. The Titans have lost halfback Scott Prince for this match, but are able to slip Preston Campbell in there.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans duo eyeing return against Knights

Gold Coast Titans veterans Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey have been given until the last minute to prove their fitness for Sunday's NRL clash with Newcastle at Skilled Park.

And the jury is still out on when skipper Scott Prince will return from a hamstring complaint, despite receiving encouraging scan results.

After both Bailey (ankle) and Campbell (heel) failed to train with the team on Thursday, Titans coach John Cartwright said the pair would be given until Saturday to overcome injury.

Advertisement: Story continues belowCartwright was already assessing his options, with youngster Kayne Lawton - who has only played one NRL game - a possible replacement for Campbell in the halves.

"We've got young Kayne there and we'll just decide if we slot him in at the deep end or bring him off the bench," he said on Thursday.

But Bailey was confident he would be running out alongside Campbell against the Knights.

"I think I'll play, I haven't tested it out as yet but I've given it plenty of rest because it's been a long week," Bailey said.

"It's been getting better every day. I had a bit of a run on Monday and it wasn't too flash but Tuesday, Wednesday and today it's starting to feel a bit better.

"It wasn't a serious injury just something that needed a bit of time.

"I'm not getting any younger so it just needed time to heal and it's feeling pretty good."

Bailey said Campbell was "in the same boat".

"The more rest the better, but just having a chat to him I think we're both pretty confident of playing," he said.

Campbell has been named at No.7 for Prince who was expected to only miss the Knights clash before returning in a fortnight's time following their next round bye.

It was encouraging news after initial fears Prince could be sidelined for up to six weeks with the injury suffered during last round's 25-24 win over the Bulldogs.

But Cartwright was uncertain whether Prince would return against the Wests Tigers in round 18.

"He's back running and whether he gets back (in round 18) for the Tigers game or not I'm not sure," Cartwright said.

"William Zillman will be at fullback this week and we'll wait and see if Preston is OK on Saturday."

Lock Ashley Harrison, who suffered a gash under his eye in Queensland's historic Origin II victory, will return for the Titans on Sunday.

"He's nice and refreshed ... we're fortunate we got through last week and didn't have to use him and he's had a good 10 day rest and can't wait to get back out there," Cartwright said.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Ladder spot not going to Titans' heads

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says the club is not getting carried away with its top four position on the NRL ladder.

The Titans beat the Bulldogs 25-24 last weekend and face the Newcastle Knights at Robina on Sunday.

Cartwright said with the club dealing with a number of injuries to key players including captain Scott Prince, forward Luke Bailey and full-back Preston Campbell, Newcastle will be a difficult challenge.

"We're comfortable where we're at, but realising that one or two weeks is a long time in the competition," he said.

"There's surprises and it's not hard to go bang, bang, bang and lose three in a row, which we've done.

"So we're not getting carried away with anything, but you'd rather be where we are where [than where] sides down the bottom are, let's put it that way."

Cartwright said he wants his players to focus on the Knights rather than their week off the following round.

He said a win on Sunday will ease pressure on the club.

"If we can get a win against Newcastle, the focus will be [that] we won't even be talking about the bye at this stage," he said.

"It's more a really important game for us against Newcastle back at home, and it will be our third win in a row and then a bye on the back of that.

"We could take some real positives out of it."

Source: ANC Australia

Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights, Skilled Park, Sunday 3pm (EST)

The Adjudicator says: "Do you remember the 1997 ARL grand final? What a cracking game that was. Robbie O weaved his magic, the Johns boys solidified their great public image and a blonde winger became the first Albert since Einstein to do something significant. If you have it, you may want to get the VHS of that game ready to roll for Sunday night because after the flogging the Titans give your boys, you'll need the comfort of past glories to prevent you from ripping up your Knights memberships and buying Newcastle Jets season tickets."

Agree/disagree with The Adjudicator? Tell him, in 100 words or fewer, why your team will win this match. Email The Adjudicator, including your full name and where you're from.

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS

David from GOld Coast says: Good to see Newcastle win ugly on Monday night. They sure have the troops, but don’t appear to be particularly well drilled. When they click then lookout competition. The Gold Coast just keep ticking over and are extremely hard to beat at skilled. On days I walk away from the stadium shaking my head and wondering how they got out of jail, but the important thing is they know how to win. Maybe that’s a Queensland thing. Newcastle always give the Coast a run for their money and will again this weekend. With Mimi, Lafranchi, Preston and Friend leading the way, I think they will scrape in with this one. The worrying thing for Gold Coast fans is that they don’t ever seem to be able to keep the foot on the juggler when they get on top. Good sides that are finals threats do this well. Titans by 6.

Michael from Marrickville: Mr A, why does everyone rubbish Kurt Gidley? I told you in last week’s update that the Knights would relish having him back where he belongs. Who won the Knights the match in the end, with a brilliant sideline conversion? El Capitan. Terbo of Auckland has been out to pasture with the sheep for too long. With the Princely one hamstrung in the bleachers, King Akuila will torment the Titans all night. The Novacastrians by 8.

Shaun on the Gold Coast says: "I think you need to err on the side of caution on this one. No Prince and with Bailey, Campbell and Harrison either backing up from injury or not playing at all I going to have to go with the head and deny the heart and tip the Knights. I’ll still head down and watch the lads give it a go. Knights by 10."

The redandwhiteman of the Gold Coast says: "Jamie, pluhlease are you for real? Soward is the real deal in 2010 and needs the opportunity to show he can handle the call to Origin. The tigers this season in contrast have only been certainties when playing the bye. Dragons again to show how its done again against a team that Dragon fans have full respect for. Dragons by 2 at half time and by 10 at full time!"

Chris from Brissy says: "The more you put on the more you get back! The knights are MORALS! Confidence is key in rugby league and although the Parramatta win was ugly Newcastle will now kick on and will beat a Scott Prince less Titans!"

Terbo from Auckland says: "After watching Gidley's performance last night & recent weeks in S.O.O it's no wonder the Knights are languishing in the cellar & Queensland Origin history was made.His forays into frontline attack are often mistimed & communication looks to be at a minimum....Titans , even without playmaker Scotty Prince , will eat the Knights by 16 or more."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Steve in Presto's position

If Titans veteran Preston Campbell is ruled out, former Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make his Gold Coast debut against Newcastle on Sunday

DISCARDED Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make a shock debut for the Gold Coast Titans, less than four weeks after walking out on Brisbane.

Michaels yesterday trained at left centre for the Gold Coast and will line up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday if veteran playmaker Preston Campbell fails to overcome a heel injury.

It will be just his second NRL game in nearly a year and a remarkable show of faith in the homegrown talent.

A frustrated Michaels cut ties with the Broncos late last month after falling out of favour with coach Ivan Henjak.

The Mudgeeraba junior has played just three games for Titans feeder club Burleigh in the Queensland Cup since the move.

"Stevie has played a lot of first grade," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"If there is an opportunity through injury on the weekend, we just want him to be a bit more aware of how we play the game."

Both prop Luke Bailey (ankle) and Campbell did not complete scheduled fitness tests yesterday but a final decision will not be made until after the club's final training run tomorrow.

While youngster Ryan James will come into the 17 if Bailey is ruled out, Campbell's absence will force a major reshuffle.

With skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) also sidelined, 21-year-old rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Greg Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and Michaels taking up a position inside winger Kevin Gordon.

Michaels managed just one game for the Broncos after being sensationally axed in August last year following the Broncos' infamous 56-0 slaughter by the Raiders in Canberra.

The 23-year-old was named to represent Queensland Country in Gympie on Saturday but withdrew, believed to be still feeling the effects of a concussion suffered against Tweed Heads at the weekend -- but as was subsequently revealed by yesterday's training run, Michaels was, in fact, pulled from the match to act as cover for the Titans.

Bailey yesterday said he was confident of taking on the Knights.

"I will have a good run on Saturday and see how I pull up," he said. "Presto is in the same boat, the more rest the better."

Cartwright said the Knights were a danger side.

"Newcastle will be desperate," he said. "A loss will put them in a really dangerous situation, running into the last nine games.

"But we are in the same boat. We want to maintain a winning flow into our bye and then keep it going."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    [B]Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights, Skilled Park, Sunday 3pm (EST)[B]

Shaun on the Gold Coast says: "I think you need to err on the side of caution on this one. No Prince and with Bailey, Campbell and Harrison either backing up from injury or not playing at all I going to have to go with the head and deny the heart and tip the Knights. I?ll still head down and watch the lads give it a go. Knights by 10." Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au
    Just letting everyone know that this is not me. I would never bet against them (not at home anyways...)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Steve in Presto's position

If Titans veteran Preston Campbell is ruled out, former Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make his Gold Coast debut against Newcastle on Sunday

DISCARDED Bronco Steve Michaels is set to make a shock debut for the Gold Coast Titans, less than four weeks after walking out on Brisbane.

Michaels yesterday trained at left centre for the Gold Coast and will line up against Newcastle at Skilled Park on Sunday if veteran playmaker Preston Campbell fails to overcome a heel injury.

It will be just his second NRL game in nearly a year and a remarkable show of faith in the homegrown talent.

A frustrated Michaels cut ties with the Broncos late last month after falling out of favour with coach Ivan Henjak.

The Mudgeeraba junior has played just three games for Titans feeder club Burleigh in the Queensland Cup since the move.

"Stevie has played a lot of first grade," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"If there is an opportunity through injury on the weekend, we just want him to be a bit more aware of how we play the game."

Both prop Luke Bailey (ankle) and Campbell did not complete scheduled fitness tests yesterday but a final decision will not be made until after the club's final training run tomorrow.

While youngster Ryan James will come into the 17 if Bailey is ruled out, Campbell's absence will force a major reshuffle.

With skipper Scott Prince (hamstring) also sidelined, 21-year-old rookie Kayne Lawton will be thrown in the deep end at halfback.

Greg Bird will return to the forward pack, with Mat Rogers moving to five-eighth and Michaels taking up a position inside winger Kevin Gordon.

Michaels managed just one game for the Broncos after being sensationally axed in August last year following the Broncos' infamous 56-0 slaughter by the Raiders in Canberra.

The 23-year-old was named to represent Queensland Country in Gympie on Saturday but withdrew, believed to be still feeling the effects of a concussion suffered against Tweed Heads at the weekend -- but as was subsequently revealed by yesterday's training run, Michaels was, in fact, pulled from the match to act as cover for the Titans.

Bailey yesterday said he was confident of taking on the Knights.

"I will have a good run on Saturday and see how I pull up," he said. "Presto is in the same boat, the more rest the better."

Cartwright said the Knights were a danger side.

"Newcastle will be desperate," he said. "A loss will put them in a really dangerous situation, running into the last nine games.

"But we are in the same boat. We want to maintain a winning flow into our bye and then keep it going."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    boooooooooooooooooooooooo, hisss:boo: thats a dumb replacement ii know we have better replacements then him, like toopi and tomane just off the top of my head.

Last time I saw Michaels play he still couldn't defend.

Hopefully he's picked up his game since then.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    boooooooooooooooooooooooo, hisss:boo: thats a dumb replacement ii know we have better replacements then him, like toopi and tomane just off the top of my head.
    Agreed, i would think there would be Toopi, Tomane, Tonga & Tagas ahead of him. Interesting to see if he is as useless as i think. i hope not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    Agreed, i would think there would be Toopi, Tomane, Tonga & Tagas ahead of him. Interesting to see if he is as useless as i think. i hope not.
    we also have kingi akuola,sione akoula and demonic peyroux and a lot of other talents we could put before him, hell shannon walker i would even give a run.

man, gordon has been playing great footy cause of rogers, casue he knows to give him the ball n stuff
    cant see micheals passing to gordon n stuff never rated him :S

GOLD Coast Titans-contracted centre Steve Michaels has been ruled out of the Country side for Saturday's Queensland Rugby League City-Country clash in Gympie after suffering a concussion playing for Burleigh at the weekend.

Attempting to resurrect his NRL career on the Gold Coast after splitting from the Brisbane Broncos, Michaels had to be helped from the field against Tweed after an attempted tackle on opposite Kingi Akauola went wrong.

Seagulls' Titans-contracted utility Josh Graham (sternum) has also withdrawn from the Country squad, replaced by Burleigh forward Tanu Wulf.

Tweed Heads has four players in the side, with Shannon Walker on the wing, Ryan Simpkins in the back row, forward Selasi Berdie on the bench and skipper Brad Davis as five-eighth and captain.

Burleigh now has two with Wulf and prop Dayne Weston.

Bears captain Scott Smith, the incumbent Country and Queensland Residents hooker, will miss the match with a broken thumb.

The match will be televised live on ABC at 2pm.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/gold-coast-titans.html

Michaels is a good player, he had a lil bit of a run with misreads in defence at the broncos but that was at a time in the Broncos when they were ordinary. Michaels attack far exceeds anything else we could bring into the team and he is quick