NRL: Toopi's chance ends with Rogers' return
4:00 AM Thursday Jun 10, 2010

Clinton Toopi's NRL revival at the Gold Coast Titans has been curtailed by Mat Rogers' return from the casualty ward.

The former Kiwis and Warriors centre returns to the outer for tomorrow night's home match against Manly now Rogers has recovered from his knee injury a month earlier than expected.

Toopi, who replaced the former dual international for the corresponding clash in round seven in April, now faces a battle to regain a place in the first-grade squad for the rest of the season.

However, the 29-year-old may still have a future at the club which offered him a path back to the NRL for the first time since 2006, given Rogers' contract is unlikely to be extended because of salary cap pressure.

During his rehabilitation, the 34-year-old spoke of a possible return to his original club, Cronulla. A return to rugby with the Queensland Reds is another possibility for Rogers, who played 45 tests for the Wallabies from 2002-06.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie would not rule out recruiting the utility back for next year's Super 15.
Rogers was originally expected to miss three months after rupturing his medial ligament in round six against the Dragons but has been out for only two.

He teams up in the centres with utility Sam Tagataese, who replaces an injured James Tomane.

Rogers' return coincides with the Titans' bid to snap a three-game losing streak.

Toopi was signed to a one-year incentive-based deal as cover and as a mentor for indigenous players.

He made five appearances and scored three tries.

Ok i dont know if this has been done already i just had a big weekend so im sorry if im abit slow of the mark lol. Anyway this has pissed me off dont get me wrong rogers is great but toopi has been awesome since coming into the side iv been a big fan of this guy this year love the way he play's. Hope isnt out for to long.