Default Origin: Murray named Blues coach

Quote Originally Posted by www.foxsports.com.au
    Murray named Blues coach
    By Ben Dorries
    December 13, 2005

GRAHAM Murray won't be muzzling any "Queensland-bagging" in his new role as New South Wales State of Origin coach, but the honorary Queenslander won't be the one stirring the pot.

Murray sees no problem with the tactics of his Blues coaching predecessors Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart, who have injected plenty of parochial passion into the Origin arena with some inflammatory comments directed at the Maroons.

"What they've done is put a fair bit of spice into Origin - that's what Origin needs and deserves," Murray said last night.

But any vitriol directed at Queensland is unlikely to come from Murray.

The 50-year-old has found a new home in Townsville where he is a much-loved figure after guiding North Queensland to its first grand final in 2005.

Murray's Cowboys also provided six players for the Queensland Origin side this year.

"I don't know whether I'm the one who needs to be going out and creating controversy by having a go at Queensland," Murray said.

"Last year we had six guys in the side so I can't see myself going out and bagging someone to get a headline. But I'm not backing away from the fact I want plenty of passion."

Murray's appointment as Blues coach came after he had thrown his hat in the ring to replace Wayne Bennett as Australia coach.

Stuart won that role but Murray received a surprise phone call at midday yesterday to confirm he had beaten off a strong challenge from Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy for the NSW job.

It is the high point of a coaching career that has spanned more than 20 years and taken him to four first-grade clubs (Illawarra, Hunter, Roosters and Cowboys), Leeds in England and the NSW City Origin role.

Born in Peak Hill, between Parkes and Dubbo, Murray grew up in the days before Origin, when NSW gave Queensland football drubbings on an annual basis.

The Blues have been the dominant Origin side in recent years, winning the past three series, and Murray sees his biggest challenge as the expectation that comes with the job.

"There is an expectation that New South Wales will win all the time, isn't there?" he said.

"Queensland is always pretty well focused and they've always got good players."

Murray will go up against two of his Cowboys coaching cohorts in the Origin arena.

Assistant coach Neil Henry was recently named as Mal Meninga's assistant coach for the Maroons while Cowboys trainer Billy Johnstone will continue as fitness co-ordinator for Queensland.

Murray doesn't see any problem separating club duties from state duties and insists he will not have any inside advantage when coaching against Cowboys players at Origin level.

"I think people read too much into how to coach against different individuals . . . it's not hard to see which players do well, whether you coach them at club level or not," Murray said.

"The players in North Queensland understand I am here for the Cowboys for most of the year."

The Courier-Mail
    Murray vs Meninga doesn't have the same ring to it as Stuart vs Meninga though Murray is a great coach who deserves a chance at the elite level after a successful club coaching career.

DeeGan

Good od him. Has done well at a number of clubs now. Deserves the chance.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

QLD Cup Titan

A good appointment for mine, i think he'll do very well as NSW coach.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

It must be odd coaching NSW against 6 or so of your club team.

Hope he doesn't give them all the cowboy secrets lol.

Junior Titan

2 champion halfbacks when they were players

good to see them coaching at representative level