Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How is scoring every seconds exciting? With the legion down here at skilled, if we had a try every 2 seconds yes we'd be freakin happy, but it would be no where near as enjoyable as say 18-18 with minutes left, for scotty to slot a field goal in. That just makes the game so much more exhilerating, other than say a 112 - 86 game, it would get boring as hell

Blazer
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

The laws of supply and demand, mean we always go nuts when a well earnt try is scored or defended against.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blazertaser View Post
    How is scoring every seconds exciting? With the legion down here at skilled, if we had a try every 2 seconds yes we'd be freakin happy, but it would be no where near as enjoyable as say 18-18 with minutes left, for scotty to slot a field goal in. That just makes the game so much more exhilerating, other than say a 112 - 86 game, it would get boring as hell

Blazer
    You are giving an example of the most exciting finish to an NRL game and comparing it to an average AFL game. You realise this happens in AFL as well? In the 2006 AFL Grand Final West Coast beat Sydney 85-84, your telling me thats not exciting then I don't know what is. In fact I watched an AFL game this weekend between the Kangaroos and the Lions in which the Kangaroos won 90-89, how is this not exciting? if you actually looked at both codes from an unbiased perspective and liked both equally like I do you would see that the AFL is superior.

I remember I went to the Titans vs. Broncos at Suncorp in the first year the Titans were in the comp and Darren Lockyer kicked the field goal in overtime and it was probably the most shattering end to a sport event I've ever seen because the Titans weren't even given an oppurtunity to score back. That is one rule that I think is probably the most ridiculous way to end a match, at least in AFL there are time limits and once the siren goes and no one has caught the ball before the siren sounds its over, no overtime for a BS field goal.

Let me quote this weeks NRL game scores:
    Tigers d. Bulldogs 19-12
    Eels d. Storm 24-10
    Panthers d. Knights 28-10
    Sharks d. Roosters 42-18
    Raiders d. Titans 28-24
    Dragons d. Warriors 22-20
    Broncos d. Manly 22-6
    Rabittohs d. Cowboys 32-4

Two games in which it actually looks like one score could make a difference towards the end. You need to stop comparing the best situation in NRL to an average situation in the AFL, compare properly please, you are just making yourself look stupid.
    Last edited by Titan_Matchu; 08-06-10 at 02:33 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The laws of supply and demand, mean we always go nuts when a well earnt try is scored or defended against.
    So what your telling me is you love watching soccer games more than NRL games?

Banned

Tennis

Blazer
    It's funny you should say that because I'm crazy about tennis, it is actually my number one sport. I have much more knowledge in tennis and I truly believe on a world scale tennis has the best athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    ok mate obviously we are all wrong and your right correct?
    I'm not saying that it just seems you are listening to the facts I am giving and once I state why the AFL is superior in one area you move straight on to the next area without acknowledging that I made a good point.

"Titan" Matchu. Why NOT compare overall elite matches provided by the AFL and NRL into the overall equations? When what we want is to assertane what the overall broadcasting value to the codes is and compare it to the overall broadcasting revenue inward, and decide whether it is truly fair.

Also Chaos, I agree, Rugby League has a great balance. We have some amazng moments, but we also have the tough grinding stuff, big hits and iron clade defence. Which makes you really savour the linebreaks, tries and goalline defence.
    The reason we are not comparing the elite matches (S.O.O and International) is because it is not an NRL fixture. No one would take into account the International Series between Australia and Ireland for AFL so why should we do it the other way around. This isn't about the codes, we are comparing the two leagues. If we were going to compare codes we would include the English Rugby League competition as well, which we obviously aren't.

Purely comparing AFL fixtures to NRL fixtures (which is exactly what we should be comparing) is the only way to know which league is doing better. In almost every regard AFL wins, Channel 10, 7 and Foxtel pay a lot more money to televise an AFL fixture than what Channel 9 and Foxtel pays for an NRL fixture.

big hits and iron clade defence. Which makes you really savour the linebreaks, tries and goalline defence.
    All these things can be found in AFL if you replace tries with goals. In AFL because it happens a lot more often it means there are some which are much better than others. The aguement I would make is that if it is happening more often there is more chance of at least one of them being more spectacular than in a match in which the spectacular parts are rare.

I'm sure you guys are full of questions so just keep firing away.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu View Post
    I'm sure you guys are full of questions so just keep firing away.
    Let me get some things straight:

We are not asking you questions
    Favourite sports are due to personal opinion
    Afl is not superior, there both sports followed by a large variety of people

Now if you want to talk about AFL, go into an AFL forum and go wild on there. This is for the Gold Coast Titans rugby league fans, not for your argument which keeps going over the same facts and is so arrogant that you dont listen to our argument

Blazer
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

Banned

Now if you want to talk about AFL, go into an AFL forum and go wild on there. This is for the Gold Coast Titans rugby league fans, not for your argument which keeps going over the same facts and is so arrogant that you dont listen to our argument

Blazer
    exactly, futhermore australia vs ireland in afl is a joke, its a stupid crossover between soccer and afl and its ridiculous

Banned

exactly, futhermore australia vs ireland in afl is a joke, its a stupid crossover between soccer and afl and its ridiculous
    I still stand by arguement if you are going to take representative games into account you would have to take that into account. Please tell me why you did not say anything about not taking the Super League in England into account when comparing? You guys think I'm not listening? please address my statement with a rebuttle, just like I have. If you are going to say you are listening to me then this is surely vital evidence of you actually reading what I have said.

Blazer
    Your not asking questions huh? let me quote a couple of you in this thread..

How do you come to the conclusion that soccer is the real threat within australia?
    Maybe NRL clubs are backed by Leagues Clubs so these LOSSES are not all they seem. Also how many AFL clubs are "profitable"?
    And how much has the AFL been underwriting these clubs over the last several years?
    ok mate obviously we are all wrong and your right correct?
    "Titan" Matchu. Why NOT compare overall elite matches provided by the AFL and NRL into the overall equations?
    How is scoring every seconds exciting?
    They look like questions to me. Every single arguement people have made in this thread I have quoted and addressed, how am I not listening? Yes favorite sports due to personal opinion I thought I showed this when I told you tennis was my favorite sport when it is clearly not the most popular sport in Australia.

Without a doubt, at the moment, both AFL and NRL are the two biggest sports in Australia but I have stated many different reasons in this thread as to why AFL is superior. Read my original post in this thread again, I did not big note AFL at all, it transformed into this because people kept asking questions (see above). I was just stating that I think not picking Folau was a really stupid move. Anyway back to the original point of my first post...

Queensland teammates save Israel Folau from a premature Origin exit

By Matt Marshall and Karl deKroo
    June 08, 2010

Player power has saved code-hopper Israel Folau from the State of Origin scrapheap.
    In a major backflip from the Queensland Rugby League, the AFL-bound Brisbane Broncos star will on Tuesday be named in the Maroons' side for Origin II at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday week.

Folau's teammates and the ruthless Maroons selection panel convinced the QRL board to soften its hardline stance.

A heart-to-heart plea from Maroons coach Mal Meninga on behalf of his players, and pressure from a selection panel intent on crushing the Blues forced QRL managing director Ross Livermore's hand.

Just three days ago, Livermore revealed Folau would not be invited into Maroons camp.

Queensland selectors were tight-lipped on Monday night, with chairman of selectors Des Morris claiming his panel's only concern was to "come up with the best team that we think can do the job for Queensland".

Senior players Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Cameron Smith were behind the bid to retain Folau. The stance of Lockyer and Civoniceva, who last week endorsed the QRL's decision to dump Folau, softened over the weekend as it became clear their teammates were firmly in Folau's corner. The loss of Folau's most likely replacement, Brent Tate, to a broken jaw in Auckland on Sunday only strengthened their resolve.

Folau's selection again denies dual international and Wests Tigers star Lote Tuqiri an Origin return.

In the only other changes to the Maroons' team, Cameron Smith will return in place of Matt Ballin and Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant replaces the injured Petero Civoniceva.
    Thank god they have some sense, it's funny I remember someone stating in this exact thread Lockyer and Civoniceva wanted Folau out of the team. It would seem leaving Folau out of the team would do more worse for the QLD team than picking him. I think it is very good the QRL and Mal Meninga are thinking about this properly from a coach's perspective instead of listening to the public and media.
    Last edited by Titan_Matchu; 08-06-10 at 11:13 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu View Post
    I still stand by arguement if you are going to take representative games into account you would have to take that into account. Please tell me why you did not say anything about not taking the Super League in England into account when comparing? You guys think I'm not listening? please address my statement with a rebuttle, just like I have. If you are going to say you are listening to me then this is surely vital evidence of you actually reading what I have said.

Your not asking questions huh? let me quote a couple of you in this thread..

They look like questions to me. Every single arguement people have made in this thread I have quoted and addressed, how am I not listening? Yes favorite sports due to personal opinion I thought I showed this when I told you tennis was my favorite sport when it is clearly not the most popular sport in Australia.

Without a doubt, at the moment, both AFL and NRL are the two biggest sports in Australia but I have stated many different reasons in this thread as to why AFL is superior. Read my original post in this thread again, I did not big note AFL at all, it transformed into this because people kept asking questions (see above). I was just stating that I think not picking Folau was a really stupid move. Anyway back to the original point of my first post...

Thank god they have some sense, it's funny I remember someone stating in this exact thread Lockyer and Civoniceva wanted Folau out of the team. It would seem leaving Folau out of the team would do more worse for the QLD team than picking him. I think it is very good the QRL and Mal Meninga are thinking about this properly from a coach's perspective instead of listening to the public and media.
    ok shoosh noone cares about your nonsense with the afl apparentely being better then nrl, you have completely ruined this thread i have made, if you want someone will make a afl vs nrl thread

The people at AFL HOUSE must be laughing at this. It is a joke by the QRL.

The AFL has paid so much money for Hunt and Folau for publicity and look what we give them. Publicity, to parasite off our showpiece.

I think if Tate was injury free, Folau would not have been retained.

Also "Titan" Matchu, it is absolute fact for many many years that the AFL underwrites struggling clubs and the NRL underwrites none.

We also don't offer the Melbourne Storm any salary cap concessions, like the AFL offered the Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans, which helped result in Premierships to them.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

The people at AFL HOUSE must be laughing at this. It is a joke by the QRL.

The AFL has paid so much money for Hunt and Folau for publicity and look what we give them. Publicity, to parasite off our showpiece.

I think if Tate was injury free, Folau would not have been retained.

Also "Titan" Matchu, it is absolute fact for many many years that the AFL underwrites struggling clubs and the NRL underwrites none.

We also don't offer the Melbourne Storm any salary cap concessions, like the AFL offered the Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans, which helped result in Premierships to them.
    I believe it was the correct decision for the team, the last thing QLD need is a rift among the team which could very easily hand NSW the series. Now if only the Australian selectors (which I'm pretty sure are mostly if not all are from NSW) could get passed this and pick the correct team rather than blocking players out then the league can start to get on with matters that they can actually affect the outcome.

I never denied the fact that the AFL provides some clubs with money and other means of advantages which would seem unfair to some of the other clubs in the league. Brisbane got just about every advantage possible when they first came into the league and are still getting many of these advantages.

Although to completely flip the coin in 1997 when the Brisbane Lions were formed and given all these advantages there was another team that came into the comp, Port Adelaide. Port Adelaide recieved no advantages at all when joining the league and pretty much played a state side the entire season. So it does go both ways in the AFL, if you wondering Port Adelaide were very competitive in 1997 and finished just outside the 8 and 7 years later won the premiership from Brisbane so a little bit of justice in that I spose.

A big reason why I think the AFL gives the cap advantages and providing clubs with money etc. has to do with the fact that the AFL has a draft system. The NRL currently has no draft system and NRL clubs can sign players at any age, which is why players like Hunt and Folau have done so much at a young age. The fact that a draft is in place is the main reason most AFL players stay at clubs for a very long time.

People might think this is silly but the AFL is introducing a free agency soon which will allow players to leave clubs when they want to as opposed to being tied to one club for a long time.

Banned

thats ridiculous folau is playing for qld, we dont need him, obviously your stupid if you think we need folau to win this series.

Just saw on FSN that there was a leaked email from Geoff Carr of the NSWRL giving it to the QRL about the Folau decision. Now they want to have an ARL board meeting to set a rule in stole to not select code jumpers for representative games.

I think the QRL may be looking at this another way.

How many Victorians will now watch this game to see how he goes? It may be a good move. In a state that has had 100 years of saturation of a sport that has a 20 meter scoring zone, no knock on rule, and no offside rules, they may get the chance to see other sports outside of there insular state.

In Summer Victorians watch a variety of sports, in winter this place is a cold miserable sh*thole, and the smothering of everything afl is sickning, it is not even a matter whether they like other sports, they simply have no choice. There is nothing but none stop coverage of men in singlets punching each others arms, and pulling each others hair. On an AFL field there is so many pockets of players flirting, pinching and pulling with each other they would not even know if someone stole the ball and left the ground with it.

Me and Diehard were having a beer after the Test match a few weeks ago, at Federation Square. Diehard threw a hot chip onto the ground and a dozen seagulls started fighting over it, i turned around and bugger me dead there was about 35000 victorians watching it, and cheering!! The worst part is that now Diehard and myself are probably counted as AFL supporters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Me and Diehard were having a beer after the Test match a few weeks ago, at Federation Square. Diehard threw a hot chip onto the ground and a dozen seagulls started fighting over it, i turned around and bugger me dead there was about 35000 victorians watching it, and cheering!! The worst part is that now Diehard and myself are probably counted as AFL supporters.
    HAHAHA!!!! I nominate that for quote of the year!

I think we might very well see some sort of lift in TV ratings for people in these states taking a look. I mean if they are recruiting players from RUgby League and paying them more than their stars, there must be a reason!

But what the NRL should be doing is doing everything possible to get this game LIVE nationally. To try and get the most out of this.